Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock or Mage ?

Options
  • 16-10-2008 8:29pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK im getting that itch to resub to wow again,WAR is great but i miss good old fashioned pve.

After being mostly a healer for most of my time in wow id like to lvl up my 46 lock or roll a mage for dps role in time for wotlk.
    Ive got a 70 rogue and 70 hunter but neither appeal to me at all at this stage.

Suggestions appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

Id go for mage, they can spew out insane dps. I hear they pwn locks now too. Locks Demon form is ment to be poo dps wise

IMO you should try shadow spec on your priest, im having a blast with mine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

The lock Demon form sucks imo. Played on my 69 lock last night in Kara, but did keep dyin any time went to go deamon form and go into mobs :p , as was said, 600% of nothing is nothing (armour wise).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

IMO you should try shadow spec on your priest, im having a blast with mine

OOOH shadow does actual dps now?
    i thought shadow was becoming completely useless with the patch and with wotlk in general?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Affliction for locks is pretty damn insane atm, although not so insane as Ret pally's. My ret pally is pretty **** geared (a bad mix of good holy gear, average prot gear, and **** ret gear) but he still kicks ass. Does some insane burst damage (i know, we've already been hit with the nerf bat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Demo is nerfed totally. I've switched back to affli - serious dps. But retri pallys are now ridiculously imba.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They've already been hit with the nerf bat. Their burst is being reduced quite a bit apparently, although their overall dps is supposed to stay the same.

Hmm tried out shadow on my priest,devouring plague only 24 second cooldown is great, far better dps all round but as someone said to me how does it compare to other classes since changes?

Should my priiest stay a healer if i want to find groups or are S priests a good dps class now?
    I fear even if the S priest dps is on par with other dps classes that people will still live in the past and never want a dps priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

my lock is affliction too atm...although the destro spec is insane!...thirsty work tho...affliction locks are seriously hard to kill as the self healing we can do is pretty cool...Talent tree aint bad at all except for the STOOOOPID Amplify curse, which use to be great on curse of Doom...all it does is take .5sec off spell cooldowns? Pfft!!
    I like affliction lots and lots...but it just doenst really suit raiding cos the dots dont have enough time...afflic for levelling, destro for raids me thinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

played a small bit on my spriest last night..

mindflay critting is incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

yeah after a bit more messing with my Shadowpriest im still in love, if i had the option id still go for a mage though, i think they are incredibly mental to play, so much fun.

Locks are good dps, but i find it boring that you just launch dots and stand there.

And word is blizz making mages the proper dps kings again so might be worth your while, i know im rolling one on the side while waiting for wtolk, for my beloved death knight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Mage, I used to play druid/lock me being the druid at about 2.2k now with loladins it's just a joke, it seems EVERY combo is now running mage/loladin.

Seriously I know locks have been overpowered in previous times but they didn't kill you INSTANTLY :(:(

btw this is my QQ~

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I'd roll lock just so you wouldn't have every noob in a bg asking for a table :D

IMO i doubt i myself would have much trouble competing with any dps with my spriest. My mind blasts are criting for 2.5k-3.5k and SWD aint far off, also my mind flays are criting for like 1.2k-1.5k per tick, its just keeping the crits consistent so i will update more when i get my base crit a bit higher than the ****ty 10% that it is. Also mana wont be too much of an issue with both shadow fiend and dispersion giving back alot of mana :D

Plus in wotlk we get an imba AOE, mind seer !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

There isnt really good and bad dps anymore, just dps.
    And MURHAHAHAHAHA, at last the paladin's time at the top of the food chain has arrived!

Suck it beaches!

nix wrote: »
    IMO i doubt i myself would have much trouble competing with any dps with my spriest. My mind blasts are criting for 2.5k-3.5k and SWD aint far off, also my mind flays are criting for like 1.2k-1.5k per tick, its just keeping the crits consistent so i will update more when i get my base crit a bit higher than the ****ty 10% that it is. Also mana wont be too much of an issue with both shadow fiend and dispersion giving back alot of mana :D

Plus in wotlk we get an imba AOE, mind seer !

Well i just ran a heroic on my S Priest with the rest of the TiG lads and couldnt believe my dps towards what it was.
    The mindflay crits are great as you say but the huge plus for me is the 24 second cooldown of mindlfay ,it used to be 3 or 5 mins?
    Also the talent for 100% mindflay resetting the timer of our main DOT SWP is excellent.
    Over on shadowpriest.com i see many guys very happy with their dps priest now while others still moan.
    I must say im happy and holding my own in BG for a change.
    For once i actually feel a viable option and not feeling i need to heal to be any use to a group.

Then again i could be wrong :)

Thats exactly it mate, i pvp mostly these days and my spriest isnt as squishy. I can actually stay on shadowform for the majority of any duel/fight.

I need to get used to using fade in pvp, im so used to it only dropping aggro :D

Indeed mate :)

Its rather cool with a group of mobs,doting each of them and then going back to the first one you dotted and mindflaying him with a crit or two while all the time resetting swp on him,then on to the next guy and reset swp again and so on.
    All the while with a decent group in heroic or i assume raid devouring plague can be popped 3-4 times :)

We are no mage but damn its nice to do dps again :)

Right i have a 56 lock at am tempted to lvl up ,what is the best spec to lvl with after the patch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

affliction for levelling i think...destro tends to use a lot of time drinking, but with affliction you have spirit tap at your leisure and u can use your pet as a mana battery! So interms of speed affliction...Demo seems to have been nerfed big time...

here's an idea of what I think you could work with...

others may say different! :D

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/warlock/talents.html?tal=205022203022351003321000000000500000000000000000000000030000000000000000000000000

enjoy :)

Cheers mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I wouldn't bother with Imp Shadow Bolt - your crit won't be high enough at this stage to make it worthwhile. I'd take those 3 out and put them into contagion which will give higher periodic damage.

Here's my current build - I'm still tweaking it a little but it's high dps as it is.

Ivan wrote: »
    There isnt really good and bad dps anymore, just dps.
    And MURHAHAHAHAHA, at last the paladin's time at the top of the food chain has arrived!

Suck it beaches!

Not really you're already in line for a nerf :D
    Not to mention a little bird has told me that with the release of the new patch it has completely ****ed up resilience to the point of being non existent, hence locks getting 2 hit by paladins.

Roll on the nerf.

sunzz wrote: »
    Not really you're already in line for a nerf :D
    Not to mention a little bird has told me that with the release of the new patch it has completely ****ed up resilience to the point of being non existent, hence locks getting 2 hit by paladins.

Roll on the nerf.
    The nerfs that we've already received have been puny. Divine storm becoming physical, boohoo. Only class that really helps are feral druids who want to beat us down in bear formlol and warriors, neither class give any major issues to paladins as they are at the moment. Since wings gives paladins 50% armour penetration combined with the already melee heavy armour penetration stat = 2 minute CD for smiting bear durids/warriors. Nyom.

The only other issue that will affect the current state of paladins is the damage pass from the beta, which personally I think they should have done before they let 3.0.2 go live but how and ever, and that will affect all classes. Paladins are kings atm because they have insane damage and insane survivability. When the damage is fixed across the board, they will still have competitive dps like all dps specs but with the same survivabilty.

Face it, paladins are back at their prime and for once in a very long time, are something to be feared. Get used to it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I think its nice to see them doing some decent damage to be honest. But maybe not quite that much damage ;)

Also, i would not advise Aff for leveling to be honest, it is great but by the time you lay your last dot the mob is dead. It is great however for grinding lots of mobs as you can just dot them all up and Howl of terror them, life tap and drain life.

Demon is certainly alot of fun with demonform. And does some decent damage too.

If I was to level another warlock after 3.0.2, I dont think I'd do anything differently. Affliction spec with your succubus and spells turned off, until 53 or so and then respec demonology and get your felguard.

For all intents and purposes, metamorphosis is a 1-trick pony. Destruction is very satisfying, but is ultimately just a mage with a bad attitude, at least from the context of leveling ;)

But, at the end of the day, making your own decisions about your spec is one of the main joys available when leveling a class for the first time. If it gets too time consuming or painful to kill stuff, then respec sure, but it is very unlikely to come to that...

Ivan resil is so ****ed up right now hence you cutting through leather/cloth like its not even there, this will change and at 80 your class will be become much more scaled.

As for paladins I'm at about a 50/50 at the moment with my feral druid.

Pounce/tigers fury/mangle/rip/ferocious bite.

Paladin will bubble heal I just run a GOOD bit away restealth rinse and repeat, Bear/ tank a lil/ heal and its just who outlasts who, some beat me some don't all depends.

When resilience is fixed in arena and classes scale out at 80 you won't be kings of pvp, anyway ill let you have it for a month, you deserve it after 3 years of hell :D

I didnt think that had been confirmed by anybody, that resilience is bugged atm? But yeah, you are right, paladins are doing too much damage... whatever the cause is. And it will be nerfed. And we certainly wont still be the kings of pvp when that happens, but we sure as hell wont be the free HKs we used to be and thats what I want people to get used to ;)

Thought there had been an official blue post over on the wow forums, it's not just paladins, everything is doing 2 much damage then again these talents were built for 80 not 70, look at mages barrage rogues(mutilate) its just stupid even locks dots tick for a lot more in arena (Not that it matters as they are normally 2 shotted by pallies :D)

Anyway just looking forward to the expansion levelling and everything HOPEFULLY becoming a lot more balanced.

My tip for arena 2v2 if things stay the way they are is FDruid/Rogue

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭CrossBreed

Personally, I'd go for the mage over the lock.

But if you're leveling the lock then it's a must to go Demo once you can get your felguard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Ivan wrote: »
    And we certainly wont still be the kings of pvp when that happens, but we sure as hell wont be the free HKs we used to be and thats what I want people to get used to ;)

About time pallys got some love. My only problem is that this is a carbon copy of what happened with warlocks. They were pitifully broken and the devs 'balanced' them by making them horrifically OP. Its taken a good year of patches to get them back down to where they should be. I just hope the same doesnt happen with pallys.

Advertisement