Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asimov's guide to the Bible.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Clicky

Are people still buying books in shops these days? Although it appears to be out of stock for some reason, apparently there are some second hand sellers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Zillah wrote: »
    Clicky

Are people still buying books in shops these days? Although it appears to be out of stock for some reason, apparently there are some second hand sellers here.

Have you read it? Any good? I thought about getting it but thought perhaps it would be outdated in terms of the archaeological evidence etc. Still, it's Asimov, so it must be good. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Are people still buying books in shops these days? .

I'm kinda hoping to rob it from chapters or something!

I loved his novels when I was a kid. It was written in 1981 I think. I dunno what evidence has come up in the last 27 years but I'd like to read his interpertation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Clicky

Are people still buying books in shops these days?

Yes! Books should not be bought online!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Yes! Books should not be bought online!

Why?

• Advertisement

Why?

1) It's more pleasant to browse a bookshop for hours.

2) It's more easy to discover something by accident in a bookshop.

3) Bookshops smell nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

3) Bookshops smell nice.

4) I own a bookshop. (Just guessing)

I enjoy both but historically I have been more successful at selecting good books online mainly because there is more information available such as reviews and synopsis.

3) Bookshops smell nice.

Can't argue with that. ;) I'm gradually switching to reading everything on a ebook reader these days, but if it's one of my favoruite authors I still like the paper variety. Smells of new book!

sink wrote: »
    4) I own a bookshop. (Just guessing)

Um, no. I just love books.
    iUseVi wrote: »
    Can't argue with that. ;) I'm gradually switching to reading everything on a ebook reader these days, but if it's one of my favoruite authors I still like the paper variety. Smells of new book!

Yeah, I'll admit I use my iPhone as an eReader a little, but I still prefer the feel of a real book.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Find in bookshops i end up buying the book i wanted plus about three others. Though it occasionally happens online too!

• Advertisement

Arse. I have better things to do for hours, such as reading that book that arrived from Amazon.

Not really, a lot of books I order were something that I came across while browsing forums and Amazon has tons of random links and related works.
    3) Bookshops smell nice.

Y'know what smells nicer? The hot chocolate I'll be drinking while sitting at home reading my book while you're out rummaging through shelves.

Also, bookshops have an apalling selection compared to online bookstores. 90% of the time that I've gone looking for something specific in a bookshop they haven't had it. Plus I can read extensive reviews online while browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

3) Bookshops smell nice.

But none of this means you shouldn't buy books online. I also love browsing bookshops, love the smell, the feel of real books, but I also love saving money by actually buying the books online where they can be a lot cheaper. No reason you cant have the best of both worlds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Y'know what smells nicer? The hot chocolate I'll be drinking while sitting at home reading my book while you're out rummaging through shelves.
    I never pictured you in your slippers with hot chocolate reading a good book. :D

I don't think I could ever embrace the whole e-book thing. It would please the greenies too much too.

Dades wrote: »
    I never pictured you in your slippers with hot chocolate reading a good book. :D

Would it help if I was drinking it from the polished skull of Pope Innocent III?
    I don't think I could ever embrace the whole e-book thing. It would please the greenies too much too.

Oh I can't stand reading anything more wordy than Wiki articles on a screen. Luckily Amazon send actual books in the mail. Which I suspect you know but wanted to take a shot at the greenies.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Would it help if I was drinking it from the polished skull of Pope Innocent III?

Oh thanks be to Thor, for a second there I was very worried. I presume it goes without saying there is always a dash of brandy/whiskey in said hot choc?

Oh I can't stand reading anything more wordy than Wiki articles on a screen. Luckily Amazon send actual books in the mail. Which I suspect you know but wanted to take a shot at the greenies.

I used to feel the same way, but if you get a proper reader with an epaper screen your eyes don't get tired cos there's no screen refreshing.... :D

http://www.bookeen.com/gallery/ebook-pictures.aspx

^^^
    More stuff to loose.
    At least it'll be good to see music composers and music publishers won't be the only people ripped off by downloading anymore, we'll be in good company when everybody starts downloading books. I wonder will the quality control suffer as much when the world and his mother publish their memoirs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Very much so.

Luckily Amazon send actual books in the mail. Which I suspect you know but wanted to take a shot at the greenies.
    Indeed, online purchasing is indeed a winner. Twas the electronic readers I fear, though I'd be intrigued to see one like iUseVi describes in action.

I joined a book club once...
    Never again, it was like trying to leave the Moonies or something.

Put me off mail order book buying for life.

But none of this means you shouldn't buy books online. I also love browsing bookshops, love the smell, the feel of real books, but I also love saving money by actually buying the books online where they can be a lot cheaper. No reason you cant have the best of both worlds.

Yeah, I know, I was being a bit facetious. Though I really only buy books online if they're out of print.

Still...
    Zillah wrote:
    Arse. I have better things to do for hours, such as reading that book that arrived from Amazon.

And the time spent finding the book? Especially if you don't know what you want before you go online?
    Not really, a lot of books I order were something that I came across while browsing forums and Amazon has tons of random links and related works.

Yeah, I know, but you can't pick them up and read them!

Gotta disagree on the smell, but even so, you can get your hot chocolate in many book stores now. Don't know if it'll come in a skull, but it's near Hallowe'en so you never know...
    Also, bookshops have an apalling selection compared to online bookstores. 90% of the time that I've gone looking for something specific in a bookshop they haven't had it. Plus I can read extensive reviews online while browsing.

Yeah, ok, I'll admit it's often better to buy online if you're looking for something specific. (Though I usually just ring a bookshop - wholesalers deliver quicker than Amazon.)

And online reviews are tosh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement