Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

am I imagining things ...or are new cars disappearing from the roads?

Options
  • 16-10-2008 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe all this recession talk has affected my perception of things ...but lately there seem to be more old (by Irish standards old = 01 and older) and less new cars on the roads.

Are all the shiny new 07 and 08 cars being repossessed and people buy just something to get from A to B.

Or are all the second and third cars being sold and swapped for something old ... or what's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

peasant wrote: »
    Maybe all this recession talk has affected my perception of things ...but lately there seem to be more old (by Irish standards old = 01 and older) and less new cars on the roads.

Are all the shiny new 07 and 08 cars being repossessed and people buy just something to get from A to B.

Or are all the second and third cars being sold and swapped for something old ... or what's going on?

Maybe someone locked them all

:P:P:P

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

A friend owns a garage and said that every day someone comes in trying to sell their newis cars and looking for cheap old cars instead.He has sold quite a few old small cars in the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Indeed.

I've come across a (v) expensive car in a ....'distress' sale.

If I could shift my 'sensible car', the diesel, I'd be on it like a shot.

I also know of an 05 C180 Komp that has lost 30k in 3 yrs. eeek ! :eek:

Sign of the times, I guess.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i think it's just in your head

a recession does strange things. makes people think they shouldn't spend money no matter how secure their job is or how much of it they actually have in case the going gets tough. it's also good to be seen going through the misery even if you are well off. that way you don't make too many enemies for living a lavish life while everyone else sells their stuff to get by.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm seeing WAY less 08s than the numbers on plates suggest. I've an 08D in the 61xxx sequence (cartell's copy of the NVDF seems to die off about 67xxx, and the car was registered a few months ago!) but theres definately not even half the number of 07D cars on the roads. I'm guessing a lot of these are sitting unsold in garages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

A lot of the new beemers on the road are 08 D 55xxx or greater so I guess that corresponds to July 1 and I've seen plenty but 08 D 40xxx to 54xxx are quite rare :confused:

robbie99 wrote: »
    A lot of the new beemers on the road are 08 D 55xxx or greater so I guess that corresponds to July 1 and I've seen plenty but 08 D 40xxx to 54xxx are quite rare :confused:

er, the only problem with that is that.....08 D 40000 - 08 D 54000 is, er, 14k cars.

They didn't skip a bunch of no's just to get to 08 D 55000...:p :p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I've seen 'brand new' (as in unsold) Nissans on transponders with 08D4xxxx series regs as recently as a few weeks ago...

MYOB wrote: »
    I've seen 'brand new' (as in unsold) Nissans on transponders with 08D4xxxx series regs as recently as a few weeks ago...

what sort of transponder?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

towel401 wrote: »
    what sort of transponder?

transponsdererers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Big ones! :D

Not your ornery onager

copacetic wrote: »
    transponsdererers.

got pics of one?

I've satellite TV on the brain...

transpoRTer clearly!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

galwaytt wrote: »
    Indeed.

I've come across a (v) expensive car in a ....'distress' sale.
    This the one advertised in one of the local freesheets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Old is the new New, I'm finally back in fashion! :p

Mike

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

towel401 wrote: »
    got pics of one?

Takara%20MP01%20Optimus%20Prime%202.jpg

eh. i thought transponder was the new e-Tag ( never seen one of those either ). A bit like transponders on airplanes but that send out the car's reg number.

we dont have any of them fancy high tech schmizmos here in culchie land.

A transponder is a TRANSmitter resPONDER, so a toll tag is a transponder yeah.

Its also the unit that reflects satellite signals back on a satellite, which is where my mind had wandered mid post somehow...

Robbo wrote: »
    This the one advertised in one of the local freesheets?

er, dunno, not knowing which one you're looking at!! Possibly, I guess !

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

New cars are being shipped out of the country every week near where I live, the only movement of new cars is out of the country now. I've had all the major auction companies on to me in the last week trying to sell me stuff, the same auction companies that wouldn't look at the side of the road I was standing on 6 months ago, what does that tell you. The next step is modern cars will be sent to the UK for auction as there is nothing selling here and won't be either by the looks of it. This bailout of the banks is only a temperary whitewash, next year is going to be hell, everyone I know in bussiness are winding up shop after Christmas and so am I.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

junkyard wrote: »
    New cars are being shipped out of the country every week near where I live, the only movement of new cars is out of the country now.
    Where to?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The one plus point of this recession is that it shows us the difference between those who are actually well off and those who have been living a life style they could not afford.

All those nice almost new cars are for sale as their owners are now in negative equity. Will they learn for the next time though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

New cars are being shipped out of the country every week near where I live, the only movement of new cars is out of the country now. I've had all the major auction companies on to me in the last week trying to sell me stuff, the same auction companies that wouldn't look at the side of the road I was standing on 6 months ago, what does that tell you. The next step is modern cars will be sent to the UK for auction as there is nothing selling here and won't be either by the looks of it. This bailout of the banks is only a temperary whitewash, next year is going to be hell, everyone I know in bussiness are winding up shop after Christmas and so am I.:(

That's fascinating about cars being exported. Doesn't our high VRT rates etc. mitigate against this though? Is the 'fire-sale' really that bad?

Regarding businesses winding up - many were taking the piss during the boom times with prices and charges, the owners were living beyond their means and now they are in the poo-poo... 'Tis harsh on those who felt compelled to pay through the nose for businesses (on land, builders, fittings etc.) and are now caught out. Some assumed the good times would last forever though and are now flailing around looking for scapegoats. There will be opportunities for those with capital who are prepared to take a risk and take a long term view. Such is life.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    The one plus point of this recession is that it shows us the difference between those who are actually well off and those who have been living a life style they could not afford.

All those nice almost new cars are for sale as their owners are now in negative equity. Will they learn for the next time though?

Yeah, the biggest idiots are so up to their neck in it they have nowhere to run (and I know I'll get flak for that but it's true). Unfortunately even those of us who were more prudent are going to be effected by this downturn in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

Agree with the above. Those who got in over their heads with huge car loans to buy "premium" badge models will find it hard to get the finance together to change those cars in the next couple of years and buy the equivalent cars again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

I presume that these are new unregistered cars?

How will the UK like our poverty spec models with km clocks? :D

Advertisement