Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italia 90 Documentary on TV3 Now

• 16-10-2008 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Lads theres a great documentary on TV3 now all about the Irish nation and team during Italia 90.

Its really bringing back great memories. I was the established goalkeeper in 4th class and the other lad had to be Gerry Peyton because I was Packie.

Great times :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I think I'm gonna cry.

We might not have had two buttons to rub together but by God they were good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Never stop sh/ting on about that do they.

Oh wait, we're not talking about england and '66. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Never stop sh/ting on about that do they.

Oh wait, we're not talking about england and '66. :rolleyes:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Ah ffs :( Housemate is downstairs watching whatever ****e she watches.

Any idea if it will be repeated soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

shane86 wrote: »
    Ah ffs :( Housemate is downstairs watching whatever ****e she watches.

Any idea if it will be repeated soon?

eh, just recorrd it on your Sky Pluuus... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Its a pity TV3 won't use the RTE commentary from the tournament. George Hamilton's "A Nation Holds its Breath!!" is legendary.

Packie's 3 skips before the kick out was very important. Unfortunately because the school yard was so short, I tended to boot the ball over the 10 Aldridges and over the ditch into the farmers field next door. I was not popular on days where that happened. Still.. Ya couldnt say you were Packie and not do the 3 skips and a hoof upfield. Gerry Peyton tried it once or twice but couldn't get the distance. Thats because he didnt have the yellow mikasa gloves with the special grippy black goalkeeper dots, and because he was in 2nd class.

I still get emotional when I remember how my mother cut up my Packie Bonner jersey to make dusters.... :eek::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

hallelujah wrote: »
    eh, just recorrd it on your Sky Pluuus... :rolleyes:

Havin a laugh are you? Stuck with poxy 18 odd channel NTL.

Agree, it was a shame RTE commentary wasnt shown, and some of the editing was a bit dodge (no shots of the crowd after Bonner saved the peno, classical music completely obscuring the audio for the goal vs England, wtf like!)

The Reeling in the Years 5 minute piece is some great editing music/footage wise. This show was ok, but I coulda lived without seeing it.

And the English subtitles for the Italian interviews, I would have to be nearly kissing my tv to be able to see them ffs. Tiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Did they say anything about the national vilification of Dunphy for his evil, slanderous assertion that we stumbled to the quarter finals with two goals from open play and some of the ugliest ball ever witnessed in a major tournament?

Even my mother was saying who's that Dunphy eejit.

He should have known not to fcuk with the inflatable fingers.

stovelid wrote: »
    Did they say anything about the national vilification of Dunphy for his evil, slanderous assertion that we stumbled to the quarter finals with two goals from open play and some of the ugliest ball ever seen in a major tournament. Even my mother was saying who's that Dunphy eejit. He should have known not to fcuk with the inflatable fingers.

He does have a point but at the end of the day it was good for the country, anyone remember him after the Egypt match, would love to see that clip again, throwing the pen across the studio, classic Dunphy :D

OPENROAD wrote: »
    He does have a point but at the end of the day it was good for the country, anyone remember him after the Egypt match, would love to see that clip again, throwing the pen across the studio, classic Dunphy :D

Would be worth seeing it for those polyester 'summer wear' aul fella tops that Dunph and Giles were into before RTE started bankrolling their flash suits too. :D

Great summer though, in fairness.

• Advertisement

Would be worth seeing it for those polyester 'summer wear' aul fella tops that Dunph and Giles were into before RTE started bankrolling their flash suits too. :D

Did Eamo say something along the lines of I can't sit here toady and say I'm proud to be Irish, he really went to town on the team.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Did Eamo say something along the lines of I can't sit here toady and say I'm proud to be Irish, he really went to town on the team.

Aye, something along the lines of being ashamed to be Irish. His gripe was really with Charlton, not so much the team, who were well able to play good football, in fairness. The team did well despite Charlton, rather than because of him.

Funnily enough, I always thought he'd be finished after that summer as the public animosity was so bad, but now he's actually paid to wind people up on RTE. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

At the end of the day football is about results, to hell how you achieve it. A lot of great memories watching that, depresses one when they realise we are getting old...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

First time I heard Aldridge saying that because he knew he was injured and would have to go off at half time, he decided to 'do' their best player, Hagi, and laughing away went on to say how he 'mullered' him, but unfortunately it wasn't hard enough and Hagi was able to carry on.

Funny how some players get away with saying things like that, it's a bit of a laugh, he's a cheeky scamp, 'It's a man's game' mentality, but when others say it e.g. Roy Keane it's tantamount to assault, improper conduct etc. and they get pilloried in the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

First time I heard Aldridge saying that because he knew he was injured and would have to go off at half time, he decided to 'do' their best player, Hagi, and laughing away went on to say how he 'mullered' him, but unfortunately it wasn't hard enough and Hagi was able to carry on.

Funny how some players get away with saying things like that, it's a bit of a laugh, he's a cheeky scamp, 'It's a man's game' mentality, but when others say it e.g. Roy Keane it's tantamount to assault, improper conduct etc. and they get pilloried in the press.

In all fairness, if he said it at the time I'd say there would have been repercussions.

Also, was astounded that the 2 captains of Ireland and Holland had a word and agreed not to score on each other:eek: Again, If this had been out around then, they could have been seriously done. Mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

JimiTime wrote: »
    In all fairness, if he said it at the time I'd say there would have been repercussions.

Also, was astounded that the 2 captains of Ireland and Holland had a word and agreed not to score on each other:eek: Again, If this had been out around then, they could have been seriously done. Mental.

That was weird alright. Remember watching McCarthy having a word with Gullit and next they were passing it around as if they were warming up before the game. I thought it was very generous of Holland, considering they were better than us. At any time had Egypt equalised with England would it have meant both of us were out? So it was a weird mixture of relief watching it knowing that we were not going to lose, but panic that if Egypt equalised, the agreement would suddenly be scrapped and it would turn into a death match to score.

Watched it in Rathmines. Amazing atmosphere. NQ's goal was the most perfect long-ball goal ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

any idea if it is going to be re shown. i missed it. great summer indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I pity anyone not old enough to remember that summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Italia 90, Alf has been delayed

And, Euro 92

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SFZVjiQO2k

• Advertisement

Check out Gilesy. :D

Advertisement