Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

entitled to back-pay or not?

• 16-10-2008 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi guys,

So i applied for Jobseekers allowance on sept19th. I had been unemployed and geninely seeking work since end of July ( i didnt apply for dole until i was desperate). Anyway, i thought i might be entitled to back pay to the date i was unemployed? (or am i dillusional? )

Thankfully i found a new job and started last week and just got the cheque from social welfare today for the time between Sept 23rd and the day i started work. While i am very grateful for this i was under the impression it would be backdated from when i first became unemployed.

Please help advise :rolleyes:? Is it a mistake or is that the way it is?

Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

You must request that it be back dated, there is a section ion the form.If you did this you should of got a reason as to why it was not back dated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 strawberryswing

I actually didnt fill in the form, the man at the office filled it out, i never knew you had to request it, i just thought it would be included. So i could still get it? I was losing hope.

Thanks for your reply.

I guess i'll send them an email or something, see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I had to give a reason why I had not claimed as soon as I was entitled, I doubt your reason would be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

I'm in a similar siuation, didnt want to look for dole, (only on dole once before ,when made redundant years ago,between that and not getting p45 from employer, (he was on holidays) it should be from early september, i havent applied yet, aim to do it this week, any advice on how best to go about it, i just dont know the system at all, looking for closest social welfare office to blanchardstown....Thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

They only backpay to the date you filled in the form. Backpayment to when you first became unemployed is discretionary and there has to be a good reason given. If they've already processed your claim then they've already made their decision so i doubt you'd get anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

I actually didnt fill in the form, the man at the office filled it out....

Jaypers, you were treated well. And it only took a month to get your cheque? :eek:
    I applied over 2 months ago, they made me go all the way out to Maynooth even though I live in Clonee (Meath), spent 45 minutes filling out 3 different forms, had a means test about 3 weeks ago and havent received even a letter from the SW office. Had to go all the way to Maynooth to "sign on" and yer wan just looks at me and says "Thanks".
    Rang them on Thurs last trying to find out what the story is. Told would get a call back. Not a word since. :confused:
    Gonna ring them again tomorrow to see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

That's shocking, when I applied they rang me the next day to tell me I got it, that I was getting back pay and that my payments were starting the following week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

Tried ringing them in Maynooth the other day to no avail (rang out) so tried the Dept offices in Dublin. THey told me they've taken the staff off the switchboard in Maynooth to deal with the huge backlog of applications.
    Said I'd be better off driving all the way out to Maynooth and asking them myself. :rolleyes:
    Does anyone know if there's any number I can ring to see if I'm even in "the system"?
    Just need to know if I'm gonna get something in case I have to take out a loan, which I probably will.

Advertisement