Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Camera, Sling, 3G Question?

• 16-10-2008 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭

one of my friends wants to be able to watch his home security cameras on his mobile phone and laptop...

How do you go about setting up a system like that....?

tks
    dm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sling software for Symbian phones is something like 20GBP for a year. You get a 30 day free trial.

The slingbox is whatever it costs (I bought mine on www.expansys.ie).

The reliability of the connection depends very much on the upload of the connection the Slingbox is hooked up to and also the coverage on your mobile and reliability of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've got a sling box, will that do what I want? I only use it for TV..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Assuming like mine it's got a composite or scart input then you should be able to run the wire from your CCTV control box to your Slingbox instead of to your TV.

I don't think you'll be able to control the CCTV though if it's got various functions, I would doubt Sling supports that but worth looking I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Could also use Orb for this depending on setup and logistics.

it's a simple set up...think he has a coupe of cams 2 or 3, I presume he wants to be able to flick from on to the other.....he hasn't asked but i'd be thinking of some kind of intrusion alarm that will send him a text etc if there's any movement...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

you can buy a 4 camera card and software on the net now very cheaply. It will have the bonus of turning your pc into a dvr and the software lets you control the cameras over the internet.

you can buy a 4 camera card and software on the net now very cheaply. It will have the bonus of turning your pc into a dvr and the software lets you control the cameras over the internet.

thanks Jimmy, have you a link to any of them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Here's an example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-CH-CHANNEL-PCI-DVR-CCTV-CARD-SOFTWARE-NEW-UK-SELLER_W0QQitemZ360092572810QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item360092572810&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

£12.99 + £5.99 delivery

You may need to upgrade the pico2000 software to get viewing to work over a phone. It does have sms notification on motion detection also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Homer

Logitech have a pretty clever new system on the market that uses powerline technology to allow for placement of covert cameras anywhere in the house and simply plugged into the mains. Signal then travels down the power lines and you connect a receiving plug adaptor beside your PC which connects via USB to your computer. Up to 6 cameras can be connected to the PC. Only downside (for some people) is that the PC must be switched on for the system to work.

Info here...

6784.1.0.jpg

Rough pricing is €349 for main system and €249 for additional cameras.

Depends what you want to achieve from the system, but as a one camera (covert) solution that gives you the freedom of placement it seems good value.

Advertisement