Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NAT problems with Xbox live connections

• 16-10-2008 10:08pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Im on the BT network and upto until recently never had any problems with XBL. However we recently had to install a firewall at home as there were some work computers going on the home network. as a result my NAT settings in the Networks "Test connection" screen on my 360 are saying "strict" and as a result I cant connect to many multiplayer games. (Note there is no issue with my XBL connection, its just multiplayer on some games)

It was mentioned to me that I may need to open a port or something on the firewall/router but Im IT illiterate! Can anyone help me out or willing to talk me through sorting it via msn or phone or something?

Please help! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Might be able to help, but no guarantees :)

What type of firewall is it? Do you have permission to change settings? The obvious answer is to disable all the functions of the firewall, and then add them back in one by one until you figure out which one is causing the problem. I'm not sure off hand what is preventing the 360 from connecting I'm afraid.

A good solution might be to install Blackice specifically on the work PCs if you've had no problems up until now on your network. No point in going with overkill that provents the gameage!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Might be able to help, but no guarantees :)

What type of firewall is it? Do you have permission to change settings? The obvious answer is to disable all the functions of the firewall, and then add them back in one by one until you figure out which one is causing the problem. I'm not sure off hand what is preventing the 360 from connecting I'm afraid.

A good solution might be to install Blackice specifically on the work PCs if you've had no problems up until now on your network. No point in going with overkill that provents the gameage!

The IT dude remotely configures everything so i will find out from him and post back. :)

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I'm on BT too and I had moderate NAT settings. Tried everything and the only thing that worked was placing th xbox in the DMZ on your routers homepage which is probably voyager.home if you have the usual BT modem you get.

Then go to advanced (have your xbox IP address to hand). User name and password are both 'admin'.

Select virtual server then press the 'Forwarded to the DMZ host' and enter your xbox IP here. As far as I know the xbox cant be hacked remotely so its fine putting it in the DeMilitarised Zone.

I done this a year ago and I think this is how I done it. Let me know if it works.

If it doesn't then go back to virtual server and select discard.

To see if NAT is open on xbox test your connection on the system blade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Keith186 wrote: »
    I'm on BT too and I had moderate NAT settings. Tried everything and the only thing that worked was placing th xbox in the DMZ on your routers homepage which is probably voyager.home if you have the usual BT modem you get.

Then go to advanced (have your xbox IP address to hand). User name and password are both 'admin'.

Select virtual server then press the 'Forwarded to the DMZ host' and enter your xbox IP here. As far as I know the xbox cant be hacked remotely so its fine putting it in the DeMilitarised Zone.

I done this a year ago and I think this is how I done it. Let me know if it works.

If it doesn't then go back to virtual server and select discard.

To see if NAT is open on xbox test your connection on the system blade.

Howdy again. The IT dude put my xbox ip address on the DMZ but unfortunately NAT settings are still strict. :(

Do i need to open ports or something?

faceman wrote: »
    Howdy again. The IT dude put my xbox ip address on the DMZ but unfortunately NAT settings are still strict. :(

Do i need to open ports or something?

Dunno man can't really remember.

Think I went by this site to get mine done. See if this can help anyway...

http://www.xboxlivetheguide.co.uk/XBoxLiveTheGuide3.php?title=My%20NAT%20Setting%20is%20Strict/Moderate%20what%20can%20I%20do

EDIT - Yeah you probably have to portforward

BT Voyager 2109 Router users

First of all you need to ensure that you are using a static IP Address in your Xbox.

Put these details into the Xbox Dashboard:-

IP Address: 192.168.1.35
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS Server 1: 192.168.1.1 (or the real DNS server for your ISP)
    DNS Server 2: 192.168.1.1 (or the real DNS server for your ISP)

1. Next you need to access the router using a PC or Mac browser. The address is http://voyager.home/
    2. Click on the "advanced" menu option on the left hand side. If you are asked to login use the default username "admin" the password is the same "admin" (this assumes you haven't changed these yourself)
    3. Click on the "Virtual Server" option. This gives you the option to allow all internet traffic for the 360/Xbox 1.
    4. Click on the option "Forwarded to the DMZ host" - then type in the IP address you assigned to the Xbox 360 in step 1 (192.168.1.35 in my example)
    5. Click "Apply" and you are done. You 360's NATs are now open and you can enjoy Xbox Live to the full.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

^^^^ cheers for that link. I had the same problem as the OP and it turns out all i had to do was turn on something called upnp.

Thanks

Looks like i will need the IT dude to do this as i cant access router. Thanks anyway

Damn its frustrating. Well the IT dude put the IP address on the DMZ and opened the ports as per below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874

Still showing as strict in the settings! What should I do? :(

Damn its frustrating. Well the IT dude put the IP address on the DMZ and opened the ports as per below.

I don't know, call him a liar??

I'm stumped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

The three ports listed in that link need to be opened for incoming connections. Not only do they need to be opened on your router, they need to be opened on the firewall, too. Those ports should also be forwarded to the IP address of your xBox.

Your xBox should have unrestricted outbound access on all ports, UDP and TCP.

• Advertisement

The three ports listed in that link need to be opened for incoming connections. Not only do they need to be opened on your router, they need to be opened on the firewall, too. Those ports should also be forwarded to the IP address of your xBox.

Your xBox should have unrestricted outbound access on all ports, UDP and TCP.

I checked this with the IT guy and he confirmed it was the case but still 'strict'. :(

Heres a screenshot from the router settings. The lines with the red dot relate to the xbox. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Heres a screenshot from the router settings. The lines with the red dot relate to the xbox. Any ideas?

Your ports are opened in the router correctly. I have no way of confiriming that the ports are opened in the firewall, and that is my suspicion for your troubles. The incoming rules on your router (along with the one below) must be mirrored exactly on the firewall.

Have you (your tech) allowed outbound TCP/UDP from the IP address of your xBox?

EDIT - I assume that your tech has setup your xBox to have the same IP address (static IP) each time and is not having it assigned automatically? It looks like he has since the ports are being forwarded to an IP.

Advertisement