Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scary Children with rocks

Options
  • 16-10-2008 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or has anyone else been petrified by children hanging out at the side of the road with a handful of rocks, just ready to throw at your car??

I was driving home the other day when I came to a corner where there were a bunch of kids all ready to throw rocks at my car. I have to be honest and say that I was terrified that one of them was going to hit me. Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? What can we do besides drive on and hope they have a crappy aim?????

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

get out grab one of them call the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Aim your bonnet at them and accelerate towards them, hopefull it'll
    scare the hell outta them and they'll run away. (It's hard to aim rocks
    at a car when you're running and looking over your shoulder).

Alternatively call the local cop shop and report the little brats.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Garda Trafficwatch:1890 205805

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I might actually call the guards on this one actually. I would normally say they dont give a **** about things like that, but I know they do respond to calls alright because they knocked on our door the other week when we were having a party because the neighbors complained!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Driving down the Kylemore Road recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Its the same for me when i approach a fly over or a pedestrian over pass and i see someone up there standing or leaning over the side i always change lanes before they can move just in case someone throws or drops something at the cars.

MYOB wrote: »
    Driving down the Kylemore Road recently?

Actually Clondalkin. But close

Its the same for me when i approach a fly over or a pedestrian over pass and i see someone up there standing or leaning over the side i always change lanes before they can move just in case someone throws or drops something at the cars.

A-ha I see now this is a good idea - they have always worried me too, up on the bridges, but yeah just switch lanes. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Aim your bonnet at them and accelerate towards them, hopefull it'll
    scare the hell outta them and they'll run away. (It's hard to aim rocks
    at a car when you're running and looking over your shoulder).

Lol! Two little scummers on pedal bike were on the road onfront of me a few months back, wandering over and back the lane so no one could passed. Eventually i started to rev the engine and got a gap to go through. I looked a head of me to red lights, and to them racing up behind with their hurleys haha... Thank god for green lights:D

Lol! Two little scummers on pedal bike were on the road onfront of me a few months back, wandering over and back the lane so no one could passed. Eventually i started to rev the engine and got a gap to go through. I looked a head of me to red lights, and to them racing up behind with their hurleys haha... Thank god for green lights:D

What the hell is wrong with these kids??????!!!!! I used to think that the days of egging the cars was bad enough, now Id give anything to go back to those days!!!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

all the kids in my area do it to english plates only... some sort of I.R.A idea they have.... Bunch pf arseholes imho as they dont have any idea how hard it is to work, get a car insurance and tax ( also nct/doe when required)

then getting a gaf and food and a b**** on top....

Life lessons - the only thing master card cant buy you. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

S.I.R wrote: »
    they dont have any idea how hard it is to work, get a car insurance and tax ( also nct/doe when required)

then getting a gaf and food and a b**** on top....

Life lessons - the only thing master card cant buy you. :rolleyes:

You really shouldnt be paying to get a b**** on top........the finer things in life are free.

(I'll preempt the obvious 'your ma' reply - ha ha). :D

Ya little scummers though. What you want it something like an Old defender and just go for them. Extra points for the inbred ones.

Anyone remember Carmageddon?!:D

Mr.David wrote: »
    Extra points for the inbred ones.

lmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Nice to know I'm not the only paranoid one who changes lane when he sees little scangers waiting on overpasses. Perhaps they're innocently waiting on their dealer to show up but I'd rather not take the chance of getting a brick down on top of the car or worse, through the windscreen where it would hit you like a bullet.

As for chasing the little ba$tards, I like that idea and its almost worth going out to buy an old 4x4 to play a game of Deathrace with a bit of Mad Max thrown in for good measure.

Points for:
    the scanger with the most cheap gold signet rings on

the scanger with the most oversized hoodie

the scanger with the can of Dutch Gold

the scanger pushing the pram - but points lost for hitting the pram and points gained for rescuing the kid, handing it into social services and giving it a chance at a decent life.

Double points for hitting scangers in their 40s.......wtf is with that, why havent they learned the error of their ways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Wouldn't call us paranoid mate.

I do it out of self preservation. Heard of enough people killed by objects dropped from overpasses.

Before they did the work on the N4 between Woodies and Newcastle lights there was a large splash of white paint on the road from a paint can that had been dropped at traffic from the pedestrian overpass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

My da was on a motorcycle and a skanger threw a brush pole out in front of him! We reckon he was trying to get it in the spokes. But you could so easily come off if you didn't hit it square on. The da is not a young fella, a fall would be bad news. If i was there when it happened i would have be up after the little ****er and thought him a lesson he wouldn't forget.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Kids with rocks took aim at the ex's car, when both of us were in it and broke the windscreen. They legged it and hid in a garden. The ex found one of them and called the cops, who didnt really seem to care. They turned up, found the other kid. Their granny gave them an alibi, cops said they couldnt do anything and the windscreen had to be replaced :mad:

Moral of the story, bypass the cops and take aim with the car.

Its awful. And the thing is they are so stupid they dont think of the possible damage. I was on a bus once, when someone who was drinking in the field across from the road flung a full bottle of budweiser at the bus. It smashed the glass, went right through the lower deck of the bus and hit the window on the other side and exploded against the window. There was an elderly man right beside the window which smashed, and I was sitting by the window where the bud exploded. Sitting beside me was an elderly lady (pension day????) The elderly man got such a fright, he was shaking from head to toe and the driver actually stopped the bus a few yards later and sat with him. He was terrified the man was going to have a heart attack, and was on the verge of calling an ambulance, except the man insisted he would be fine. I was helping the elderly woman take the glass from the window out of her hair. This people are f*cking idiots, and I sometimes consider the irony of it if they were to ever injure a member of their own family with their retarded stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

the title of this thread is hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 FocusIreland

peanuthead wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with these kids??????!!!!! I used to think that the days of egging the cars was bad enough, now Id give anything to go back to those days!!!! :(
    ye, I got one egg last year on my car's window. what I returned was a finger. couldnt grab any - so many of those B*****s.(nearly 20 of them):mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I, for my sins, lived in Southill in Limerick for just under 3 years.

The mentallity of the youth in the area beggers belief. They stand in front of Ambulances and Fire Engines and wont let them past. The hurl rocks or basically anything they can muster together and smash to vehicles up.

The Post Men come in pairs and refused to deliver post for 8 months. The bus will not enter after 4pm.

They put up massively tall CCTV systems with downward pointing barbed wire so they could not climb up the 50 mtrs(or so) and break them SO they stole cars and knocked down all the poles.

Some people just dont care. Parents have no control and its nobodys fault except the parents. I dont care for peoples excuses. Parents are afraid to smack their children and "physically educate" them in the rights and wrongs.

We all know the type, the ones who jaywalk in front of you and slow down on purpose so you have to slow down.

SCUM is all they are.

The Post Men come in pairs and refused to deliver post for 8 months. The bus will not enter after 4pm.

Yes, I have heard this before.

Wow, thats a rough area alright, how'd you last three years there? What did you do while there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Points for:
    the scanger with the most cheap gold signet rings on

the scanger with the most oversized hoodie

the scanger with the can of Dutch Gold

That's everyone in Prosperous so.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

peanuthead wrote: »
    Yes, I have heard this before.

Wow, thats a rough area alright, how'd you last three years there? What did you do while there?

These remarks may sound strange. I preferred dark, cold and wet nights because it kept people off the street.

Christmas morning at around 4am when the car in the alley was set alight. Merry Christmas to all.

I spent most of the time cursing the day we bought the house. We bought it because its all we could afford. 4 months later the banks announced the 100% mortgage. Damn it!!!! Now we are classed as non first time buyers and wont get the same priviledges. Oh Well.

We watch people try to sell their houses in vain but after three years I got a better job(this one) and my Fiancee got a job paying good enough money we decided to try and trade up. We put it up for Sale on a Friday morning with GVM in Limerick and by Tuesday morning we accepted an offer of €5k below the asking. We paid €73k for it(yes the figure is correct) and sold it for €75k.

We do a drive by(pun) of the house every so often(may do one in a while for the laugh) and count our lucky stars. The new cast iron gate I put on the front is gone and the pillars are covered in graffiti. The hanging basket metal holder is bent downwards and the blinds are missing in two front windows and one back window. The back gate(all houses have rear access) is covered in grafitti like all the others. The neighbours on one side were a nice retired couple but on the other side was the most irritating women alive. The walls were paper thin and we could hear her constantly scream at her kids. Then there was the settled traveller families in the next two houses followed by a drug dealer cum horse trader. On the far gable end on the other end was another drug dealer whom moved in after the widower moved to a more comfortable bungalow(couldnt do stairs).

We eventually got speed ramps but now they use them as ramps instead of obstacles. Somebody decided to knock down 100's of derelict houses but stopped half way through. Now the place really looks like a bomb hit it.

0000b40010dr.jpg

Des Bishop stayed there for a week for one of his comedy workshops. Watch his DVD, his explanation of Southill is comical(obviously).

It has the usual council estate pub called the Olympic arms which has no window so no natural light so you can spend your social welfare day or night and its always the same time, drinking time. Daylight has a horrible way of slowing down drinking habits.

There is still a shop like the shop in the Snapper where its just a Steel Container and you order your stuff through a grate. The other burnt down.

3-4 years ago a house in Southill exploded. Nothing malicious. Funny actually. The poor dear was on holiday in someplace like Portugal and there was gas buildup in the mains supply under her house and blew her Gable end house into oblivion. She obviously got this phone call in Portugal and thought, YES, Im out of Southill. Hello new house in expensive estate next to people paying €1,500 a month in Mortgage and Im only going to pay €120 a week for the same house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

driving home through rathnew in wicklow, skanger on the side of the road with a golf stick and balls aiming out ready to take a shot at the next oncoming car.

Run he did and fast.

Des Bishop stayed there for a week for one of his comedy workshops. Watch his DVD, his explanation of Southill is comical(obviously).

yes I have seen that alright. Did you not view the estate before buying the house man?
    JJJJNR wrote: »
    driving home through rathnew in wicklow, skanger on the side of the road with a golf stick and balls aiming out ready to take a shot at the next oncoming car.

Run he did and fast.

Now thats one for the books!! Putting in the effort of coming with your own 'props' instead of just goin on a scavenger hunt along the kerb!! :eek: did he have a tee? Tell me he had a tee....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tmulcahy365

kbannon wrote: »
    Garda Trafficwatch:1890 205805

Actually if kids are throwing rocks at cars I'd go straight to 999.

I think theirs a bit of a reluctance to call 999 as its been beaten into us that its an emergency number and maybe we're wasting their time unless we're on fire!
    Anyone else feel the same way?

I think we think that we are wasting their time, because alot of the times thats how we're made feel. Or sometimes they will actually go so far as to say it to you.

However, that said, of late, I have noticed the gardai being alot more active in my area these days. I havent seen those kids again yet, maybe someone did call the gardai. But we will see... they have gone off before for a while and then have come back again. Its some timetable they're working off or something :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Do you think if some scumbags threw stones at your car, you could mow them over and claim it was the shock of the stones hitting your car that made you lose control?

Because quite frankly, I would feel no remorse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement