Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scary Children with rocks

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

HJL wrote: »
    Do you think if some scumbags threw stones at your car, you could mow them over and claim it was the shock of the stones hitting your car that made you lose control?

Because quite frankly, I would feel no remorse.

Okay you try it first, and if it works for you, let me know!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

peanuthead wrote: »
    Okay you try it first, and if it works for you, let me know!! :p

Well, I nearly did a few years back by a sort of accident and got more of a shock that I'd say he did.

He strolled out in front of my car with that scumbag "I aint walking faster for no-one walk". You know the one, peak baseball cap half way up his head and jacket hanging off one shoulder, the kind thats need a bumper rammed into his spine.

I swerved at him so he would move quicker, he did but................as I swerved back in my little PUG slid out at the back and the last thing I saw was his hands slamming down onto the rear panel as though to stop me mowing him down. Other than his hands, I missed him. Thank F**K.

I think I gave him a good shock. I got a massive shock myself.

Do not try this EVER. It could have been much worse.

I dont mind revving my engine at them when around 200 decide to cross at a junction in town even though the ped light is red. I do not slow(unless I have to) and rev the engine. You can nearly spot the ones in advance who have no intention of moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tmulcahy365

Just to add to what I was saying earlier about not using 999,

In this thread about some scam artists,
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055401272

one of the boardsies asks,
    Who do you report "general" stuff like this to? As they could be anywhere and not just around that area.

Probably thinking that he should call the local Garda station.

And another replies
    I guess Garda Crimestoppers 1800 - 250025

I reckon we should have a proper number to report non-emergency crime.
    A direct link to the Guards, via a new easy to remember number such as 11811, 999 etc

Its just like those daft radio ads for Bord Gais, "if you smell gas in the street ring 1850 ?????? don't assume anyone else will". Like anyone is going to remember that number or save it in their mobile phone.

yes I have seen that alright. Did you not view the estate before buying the house man?

I knew the area as much as I could without spending a night there. Its all I could afford. We were impatient and wanted a house before prices kept going up. Nobody told us those houses never changed value EVER. May as well have stayed renting until we could afford the right house.

I live in a small village in the country now, far from the chores of the worst estate in Ireland.

Some houses up the top of the estate cost as little as €5000 from the council. 2 Bed Terrace.

I knew the area as much as I could without spending a night there. Its all I could afford. We were impatient and wanted a house before prices kept going up. Nobody told us those houses never changed value EVER. May as well have stayed renting until we could afford the right house.

I live in a small village in the country now, far from the chores of the worst estate in Ireland.

Some houses up the top of the estate cost as little as €5000 from the council. 2 Bed Terrace.

Well Im delighted for you that you got out of there, and its lucky for you someone actually wanted to buy the house off you for more than 5grand!!

Nobody deserves to live in a place like that, except the people who have made it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Was walking down towards Bolton St from Dorset St recently with a mate when there where 2 kids playing with tyres.

What the hell thay where thinking I don't know but they where having great fun rolling them down the path out on to the road :confused: This was at the flats opposite the church there.

Me and my mate slowed any traffic coming up/down the road (luckily traffic lights where red on both occasions) and took the tires up the road a bit, they didn't like it very much.

never seen kids with rocks at the side of the road but i can imagine it would be scary alright!

EDIT: after reading the whole thread, tyres isn't as bad as some of the other stuff mentioned. What is up with these people!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

My mate who owned my car before me had that experience. One guy threw a stone and it hit about one inch under the passenger window. Left a nice dent, granted I told them who it was and that guy got what he deserved by doing so.

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    My mate who owned my car before me had that experience. One guy threw a stone and it hit about one inch under the passenger window. Left a nice dent, granted I told them who it was and that guy got what he deserved by doing so.

Ive always been worried about my windows getting broken, never actually considered a dent, yeah that would be awful, especially if it was a brand new car (which mine is NOT!!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^same as myself. I can live with a dent, but a broken window would really push me to getting a baseball bat out.

around here they also hide behind walls and around 4 or 5 throw all their eggs at the one car. Not as bad but still god damn annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are all outraged at the potential for damage to your cars (direct injury is less likely). How do you think non-motorists feel about people actually being killed by cars? How many people are actually killed or injured by stone throwing?
    What the hell is wrong with these kids??????!!!!! I used to think that the days of egging the cars was bad enough, now Id give anything to go back to those days!!!! :(
    Stones are free(ish), eggs cost money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Victor wrote: »
    You are all outraged at the potential for damage to your cars (direct injury is less likely). How do you think non-motorists feel about people actually being killed by cars? How many people are actually killed or injured by stone throwing?

/boggle

:confused:

methinks youre in the wrong thread/forum

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

I believe that things are going to get alot worse over the next 5-7 years and stay that way for 15 years due to demographics. The locations have in part changed but the intent is still the same with a few differences.

Kids are connected, which means that they can kept an eye out for the cops and by mobile phone warn each other. Also they have that nasty slap happy habit, but most worrying is that the legislation for the protection of children was predicated with the respect or fear that they have of adults, parents or at least cops. Now due to low quality broadband they are fully aware of their rights and how ineffective any "in"justice system is this country is. Plus there is the growing separation of parents and children through working arrangements and divorce.

I remember a few years back in the UK there were rapes of teachers and one headmaster was assassinated. Those combined with the racial tension and our passive citizenship style will mean 80's crime super charged and easy access to AKs.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Victor wrote: »

This really shouldn't need pointing out...

Throwing rocks at cars is a deliberate and dangerous act, whereas almost all pedestrian/cycling deaths are a result of error on behalf of one or both of the parties.

When a driver deliberately attempts to mow down a cyclist or pedestrian, this is known as attempted murder. Fortunately, this is rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Incidents like this are a direct result of Ireland restrictions on Guns, if every Citizen (wealthy) had the right to own a gun it would be very easy to retaliate against scumbags and knackers like this who quite frankly deserve nothing less than the death penalty. Welfare is also another cause of alot of these problems, I am a strict conservative but quite frankly I believe that these people will never amount to nothing and we need more prisons and to increase our incarcerations alot.

A similar situation exists in the United States where you have primarily black lower class people in rough neighbourhoods in areas like South Central LA, Harlem etc. All living off Welfare and constantly making trouble, there is no rehabilation and Society should deal harshly with these people regardless of race, Limerick, Ballymun, Kilrush etc. are examples of Social Engineering where the state intervenes and ultimatly causes more bad than good, Society should not support these people and they should be left to sink or swim and heopfully alot of them would die. People like Martin Collins epitmoise them and glorify their actions as failure of society and blame the settled community.

Mandatory Sterilisation FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

...and if we had easy access to guns, said scumbags would be using them, not rocks.

mumhaabu wrote: »
    Death to poor people FTW!

There are very few problems for which guns are a solution.

Perhaps you'd like to move to a country where the gun laws are more compatible with your ideals.

Lumen wrote: »
    There are very few problems for which guns are a solution.

Perhaps you'd like to move to a country where the gun laws are more compatible with your ideals.

I would suggest you move but there is no liberal utopia I can think of, myabe Cuba or Christiania, Denmark?

I may note that Guns have solved lots of things including WWII and are winning the war on terror.

I may note that Guns have solved lots of things including WWII and are winning the war on terror.

That's funny. You should be on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

At the risk of quoting an example which does not reflect my views on gun control.

Switzerland.

Not too many problems with anti-social behaviour there. Almost 100% household ownership of a weapon.

And yet also a comprehensive welfare system, which our gun proponent would be entirely against.

• Advertisement

*Sigh* Bring back corporal punishment. Make kids afraid of parents, teachers and in the long run they will become tolerant of authoritive figures such as Gardai, Firemen, Ambulance Crew, Bus Drivers.......... anybody in a uniform.

Im late 20's and I was instilled with a respect for anybody with authority. The generation behind me has less of this and the teens right now have none whatsoever.

Could I imagine when I was 15 running up to a grown man and smacking him in the face while all my friends video'd it with their phones. I would be beaten to an inch of my life.

Make them afraid!

*Sigh* Bring back corporal punishment. Make kids afraid of parents, teachers and in the long run they will become tolerant of authoritive figures such as Gardai, Firemen, Ambulance Crew, Bus Drivers.......... anybody in a uniform.

I don't believe that would work. There are likely to be other reasons why you didn't behave like that, and I'd guess (without any evidence of course) that the level of beatings in scumbag households are higher than in the general population.

Humiliation in front of peers might work. I'm thinking a pink tutu and tiara, in a float in front of thousands of people, as part of the annual Dublin parade.

Lumen wrote: »
    That's funny. You should be on TV.

I don't consider any war funny and especially one which has claimed over 28,000 innocent civilians and military personnel. If you lost a loved ones or children blown to smithereens by Islamic extremists would it still be funny. It is attitudes like this that sees countries like Ireland left vulnerable to attack.

Are you aware that Al Qaeda operate in Ireland check out these:
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,59060,00.html
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0708/ahernb.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/02/alqaida.ireland

Is it still funny now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I don't consider any war funny and especially one which has claimed over 28,000 innocent civilians and military personnel. If you lost a loved ones or children blown to smithereens by Islamic extremists would it still be funny. It is attitudes like this that sees countries like Ireland left vulnerable to attack.

Are you aware that Al Qaeda operate in Ireland check out these:
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,59060,00.html
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0708/ahernb.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/02/alqaida.ireland

Is it still funny now?

a bit much for a motors forum:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bladebrew wrote: »
    a bit much for a motors forum:confused:

I think so too, lads take to pm, not the place for it.

EDIT: Before mods say it

Im late 20's and I was instilled with a respect for anybody with authority. The generation behind me has less of this and the teens right now have none whatsoever.

Could I imagine when I was 15 running up to a grown man and smacking him in the face while all my friends video'd it with their phones. I would be beaten to an inch of my life.

Make them afraid!

Late 20's means you won't have had legal corporal punishment in school either... even if you were in junior infants when it was banned you'd be 30 now.

That would suggest your respect for authority came from another source than being beaten (legally) by teachers.

Legally, yes. A few smacks here and there never go astray and everybody got them.

I went to a Catholic run boarding school so rules followed many years behind the normal pace of life.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Right, I think this thread has reached its end now that its not really a motoring issue anymore!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement