Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am i alone?

• 16-10-2008 10:37pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well after playing the game for over 6 weeks now,levelling up 4 chars to mid to late 20s and a few more in their teens spread across the 3 busiest servers in Europe i can see the game is great but boils down to just rvr scenarios.
    Nobody bar the odd one or two in T1 do PQs,nobody does world rvr,theres very little keep taking going on[theres some but not what i had hoped for]
    Theres the odd few out questing but in all honesty it seems WAR is rapidly becoming an rvr scenario fest with little else going on.
    The PQs are a great idea but the fact folk can get better xp in scenarios makes them obselete.
    Dont get me wrong,the scenarios are great fun they really are by far the best pvp ive ever had in an mmo but sadly i feel its just not enough for a subscription based MMO hoping to keep people playing.

I really like the game but find all there is to do is log in and scenario the time away, not exactly what id hoped for.
    Maybe if mythic give more xp a lot more infact for PQs then people may play the actual content in the game.

Until then im not sure if ill be keeping subs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I think it might just be your server. I spent 5 hours tonight, just over an hour on public quests (chapter 10 + 11) and 4 hours on taking and defending flags and keeps in human Tier 2. I don't even bother with questing anymore, its way more fun to level through Pq's and World RVR. I did roll on a RVR server though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Mythic's CEO, Mark Jacobs has become an active poster on the IGN forums. You can see his posts here. He has alot of interesting things to say about how the game will move forward, and what they plan to do to help encourage more open world RvR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Hi Osiris btw..old quake dude ..

I feel the same Cully...its like a ghost town when I play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

In fact..Im downloading the WoW patch now...just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

It sounds like it might just be a case of the average player base has out-leveled you. All you are seeing now are the stragglers and the higher up zones are more populated. Either that, or as was already said, probably just ye're server is low population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

I think it might just be your server. I spent 5 hours tonight, just over an hour on public quests (chapter 10 + 11) and 4 hours on taking and defending flags and keeps in human Tier 2. I don't even bother with questing anymore, its way more fun to level through Pq's and World RVR. I did roll on a RVR server though.

Which one did you roll on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Servers im on are Azgal and eight peaks,as i said they are the busiest in Europe yet the game is a ghost town where all of my characters are,something wrong somewhere guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Dcully wrote: »
    Servers im on are Azgal and eight peaks,as i said they are the busiest in Europe yet the game is a ghost town where all of my characters are,something wrong somewhere guys.
    I feel exactly the same. I didn't bother logging in this weekend because all there is to do is Tor Anroc over and over again. One of the main reasons I left WoW was because of the grind for honor in BG's was boring a sin and its the same in WAR. Not sure if I will bother paying for the game TBH ...

Well ive resubbed to wow and looking forward to the expansion.
    Back raiding with The Irish Guard guild.
    WAR has become a scenario fest which while is great pvp is boring after a while,i doubt ill be subscribing after the free time runs out.

I know its a pvp based mmo but a pvp only mmo will not last pissing time imo.
    Players need an incentive to actually play the games decent pve by way of the PQs but it needs proper pve raids too to interest me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Dcully wrote: »
    i doubt ill be subscribing after the free time runs out.
    Just got an email this morning saying my free time has run out. Definitly won't be paying for it and its a pity because there's a great game in there I just don't have the time/patience for them to sort out the problems.

/uninstall.

• Advertisement

Strange,mine ends on Nov 8th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I'm expecting this forum will become a lot more quiet come the start of November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

It's strange the way people's perceptions of MMOs have changed over the years. Previously they were something of a sandbox, the developers presented you with the bare basics, and it was up to you to make with it what you will. I think back to the early days of DAOC, there were very few quests, just a long grind through increasingly difficult mobs. It took 1-3 months to do that even for the hardcore players back at the start. It was up to the players to organise everything, be it PvE groups, RvR groups, raids etc an there were no helpful tools to make life easy. This is how the close-knit communities formed. You had to interact closely with the other members of your server if you anted to get anything done.

Now it seems that many want all the work done for them. People will choose the path of least resistance. There has been alot of critisim of the public quests. I would equate them to wow instances. At times you might be able to show up and find people to help complete it, but other times, you need to put a bit of effort into looking for people to help you. I've been doing that for a while now, and have about a dozen people I regularly get together with to farm PQs, which is decent experience and alot more fun that solo questing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Basically I think you see ALLOT of people in scenarios because its the fastest way to level if you keep winning them. ( get about 15k EXP from Tor Anroc)
    Only have 1/2 of that exp for a quest that will probably take longer.

Then theres RvR. Again not much Exp in RvR from my experience but allot of Renown points.

So I think once the the majority of people have got to lvl40. They are going to be out doing Open RvR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

KoKane wrote: »
    Which one did you roll on

Order on DragonMount. I didn't like the idea of a Core Server, felt it would ruin the appeal of the game.

With the open Rvr server, people seem to naturally try to group since you get ganked otherwise especially on the Order side since the level difference seems to be vast. All I see now at teir 2 is mainly groups doing pq's and keep raids. I havn't done a quest in 10 levels, just gear from Pq's and renown and xp from World Rvr and scenarios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

How do you think i feel? I only play from 4am - 8am.. servers dead until 7.30!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Blood-Martyr

Try Eltharion matey , pleanty of activity there atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Ive been playing a little over four weeks and am restricted in my playing time. Its usually atfer 1am. Im lvl 20 now, but only been involved with one PQ and that was at lvl 6-7. I play on eight peaks and the only time i see other players is in scenarios. Seems to me the pop cap on each server is to low. Never really found i had this problem playing WoW till the later lvls!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've pretty much given up on MMO's tbh. They never really keep my attention for that long. Warcraft did for about 1 1/2 years, as it was my first proper mmo, but i find i just get bored of doing the same old things, over and over and over again. Without a good story (most important thing in a game for me), i just find myself drifting around aimlessly. Its a shame as well, cause I did enjoy War for the first few weeks.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I found my interest waning severely after a a short while as well. I pretty much stopped playing in favour of other single player games like the Witcher, Crysis Warhead, Far Cry 2 and most recently, Dead Space.

MMO's just cannot offer the level of enjoyment, immersion, atmosphere etc. as single player games. They are just repetitive grinds for xp.

I think this model of MMO is dead as far as I'm concerned. They are all just variations of the same thing. I don't think I will return to the genre until something truly ground breaking comes along. A MMO FPS for example, might interest me. Or something like a MMO Elite (not EVE!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I wouldn't say that the MMO model is broken, the thing is you need to remember they're a social experience and as such if you're not in an active guild (and by active I mean ppl playing regularly together and using things like vent) then imho you'd be better off purchasing Oblivion and playing that.

That's where War got a big bag of fail from me, once I couldn't actually log on to play with the group I quickly lost interest.

I agree I'm eagerly awaiting a proper elite mmo, hopefully jumpgate will do the trick.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Ok well maybe not broken but it's definitely stale. Pretty much all been done before really as far as these kind of MMO's are concerned.

Must investigate Jumpgate a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 skinner75

I've been playing for the last couple of weeks now, on the Core server Worlds Edge Mountains as a Chaos Chosen.
    Currently upto level 14.
    Anyone else here play on this server & want to form a party for PQ / general romping about bashing stuff?

I've never played any MMORPG before, but had to checkout WAR, as I've played WFRP years ago & also the tabletop Warhammer. That, plus I've read a lot of the Warhammer novels.

MMO's just cannot offer the level of enjoyment, immersion, atmosphere etc. as single player games. They are just repetitive grinds for xp

I agree MMOs can be a grindfest but in wow atleast the game only starts at 70.
    Nothing in any game in any genre has kept me interested as much as raiding in wow once you hit 70.
    Raiding is the only reason i still play wow after 4 years.

WAR rapidly turned into a scenario fest and effectively just a game like team fortress with no crosshair.
    Im certainly not going to pay a subscription for that.

Raiding was fun but (and I don't know if it has changed much since I quit WoW) but spending entire Saturdays raiding the same instance for the umteenth time became a complete bore.

Well there are plenty of raids now plus 30-40 five man instances that can be played on heroic difficulty and better loot.
    Maybe you played them?

The coming expansion is going to make raiding and these heroics a lot more time friendly.

Maximilian wrote: »
    I found my interest waning severely after a a short while as well. I pretty much stopped playing in favour of other single player games like the Witcher, Crysis Warhead, Far Cry 2 and most recently, Dead Space.

MMO's just cannot offer the level of enjoyment, immersion, atmosphere etc. as single player games. They are just repetitive grinds for xp.

I think this model of MMO is dead as far as I'm concerned. They are all just variations of the same thing. I don't think I will return to the genre until something truly ground breaking comes along. A MMO FPS for example, might interest me. Or something like a MMO Elite (not EVE!).

5 and a half years ago SOE brought out Planetside which was a MMO FPS. I played it for 5 yrs up until the start of summer. Held my interest right up until the Europeon Server died. There is still a US server going with decent pops, but lag and connection issues prevented me from playing there. If there is ever a game released anything like that, ill be there for Beta:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Planetside was an unbelieveable system hog when it came out first. Had massive potential, and i wish i had played it back when it was popular though. Only really tried it when there was a much smaller community, and it suffered quite a bit. Fantastic idea though, and i hope they do something similar again. Would be one of the few types of MMO's that would really draw me back.

The beauty of the game was even the lowest lvl noob could kill the highest lvl leet player. The Outfits (clans) where really solid, so you never had to worry about trying to get Exp solo. The golden days of gaming imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

In it's prime Planetside was one of the best MMO's ever. Second maybe to Ultima Online in it's prime.

But at it's worst, Planetside is... painful.

And yeah, system resource hog it was. I can remember when my P4 2Ghz with 1GB RAM and 128MB graphics card was considered overkill and even that had issues in places. Still, the joy of 3 galaxy drops, OS'ing ~100 players by stealthing, hacking and boomer/mining your way into a base and then droping your little beam on top of an entrance was truly something else. And it still managed to have desperate ANT runs to keep a base up for another few hours of repelling the VS and TR zergs from pushing us NC off an island.

Reaver squardons, tank columns, sniper gangs and max platoons; that game had it all. It's funny though, I cant remember at what point it started to suck but I can remember the first time I realised it did. It's when I cam across my first BFR. I was flying in a Reaver towards some infantry on a mountain, harassing some of our tanks. An enemy BFR just walked up this sheer cliff and destroyed 3-4 tanks in a manner of seconds, then turned on me and locked onto me. Destroy me before I could even hit the afterburner. They were totally overpowered when they first came in :p

Still, slightly sidetracked.. :p

Advertisement