Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about spelling and grammar in Ireland

Options
  • 16-10-2008 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

I have a question about the educational system in Ireland; I don't know where to ask the question, but under the circumstances, the creative writing forum seems to be the best location.

Based on the threads that I have read at boards.ie, I am forced to conclude that some students in Ireland aren't taught the basics of English grammar and spelling. I have read posts by clearly intelligent people whose standard of writing--basic things like syntax and spelling--is rather poor. Admittedly, sampling an online discussion board isn't representative of the country as a whole. Nevertheless, I have been struck by how poorly some people write. Is grammar and spelling something that's simply not emphasized in some schools?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Speaking as a student teacher:
    Spelling and grammar are definitely emphasised in most schools, but there's always going to be some schools that prioritise other aspects of education. For some children, attaining a very basic level of literacy may be considered a great achievement, especially in areas certified as "disadvantaged". In these cases, the learning needs of the child in terms of emotional and cognitive skills may receive more attention than the technical aspects of other subjects.

However, this is by no means the reason for the vast majority of typing errors on Boards. Much of the problems/mistakes you read on these fora are down to laziness on the part of the poster. As well as this, there are certain places where users are known to post when drunk (I'm pretty tipsy right now...) Top these off with the small but important percentage of dyslexic boardsies, and you have the majority of spelling errors explained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭SoCal90046

An Fhile wrote: »
    Spelling and grammar are definitely emphasised in most schools, but there's always going to be some schools that prioritise other aspects of education. For some children, attaining a very basic level of literacy may be considered a great achievement, especially in areas certified as "disadvantaged". In these cases, the learning needs of the child in terms of emotional and cognitive skills may receive more attention than the technical aspects of other subjects.

However, this is by no means the reason for the vast majority of typing errors on Boards. Much of the problems/mistakes you read on these fora are down to laziness on the part of the poster. As well as this, there are certain places where users are known to post when drunk (I'm pretty tipsy right now...) Top these off with the small but important percentage of dyslexic boardsies, and you have the majority of spelling errors explained.

Thanks, it sounds like the educational system in Ireland is quite similar to that in the US.

I have been somewhat surprised at the writing abilities of some university graduates, even those with advanced degrees. Plain old sloppiness could certainly explain what I've been reading on other threads. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Emphasised? How so? There is one chapter on all spelling and grammar issues on the JC course and then nothing on the leaving. Its basic at the very lowest level.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

"I done" and "I seen" seem to be popular" :eek:

.......and that old reliable in Ireland - the misuse of the word "rob" for "steal".

e.g. "My car was robbed".

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Are they spelling mistakes or "text" speak?

I find that people tend to abbreviate everything. This really irks me because you only need to do this when sending a text, due to lack of space. When you have the space, you should use it!

I always find that people misuse They're, Their and There frequently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Emphasised? How so? There is one chapter on all spelling and grammar issues on the JC course and then nothing on the leaving. Its basic at the very lowest level.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I am referring to Primary Level education. I know from first-hand experience just how little time is given to the mechanics of the English language at Secondary Level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hmm, even so the problem starts at primary level so its clear that they aren't doing enough there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭shiv

I just never understood why Ireland is so anti-apostrophe...

shinny wrote: »
    Are they spelling mistakes or "text" speak?

I find that people tend to abbreviate everything. This really irks me because you only need to do this when sending a text, due to lack of space. When you have the space, you should use it!

I always find that people misuse They're, Their and There frequently.

No, they're spelling mistakes. It's not simply misusing the word there or spelling separate, occurrence, embarrassed or accommodate incorrectly, there are lots of other errors scattered around posts. None of us is a perfect at spelling, but for some clearly talented posters, I was surprised at spelling errors. As another poster pointed out, it could just be sloppiness--that happens.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I am referring to Primary Level education. I know from first-hand experience just how little time is given to the mechanics of the English language at Secondary Level.

Thanks for the clarification. In the system here, grammar and to some extent spelling is drilled into kids through the equivalent of secondary level and into college. What I have noted that the writing here is often much more creative than on some boards in the US, so I concluded that in the educational system there must be more of an emphasis on substance rather than on style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A lot of the time it's sloppiness. Other times your train of thought has gotten the better and you just keep typing without noticing your mistakes. I'm pretty well educated but it happens me all the time, though I take the time to go back and read what I've written before I press the 'submit' button. In that regard most people are either lazy or just don't care.

Bad spelling/grammar irritates the hell out of me if it is blatant laziness, and there are certainly people guilty of it.

SoCal90046 wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification. In the system here, grammar and to some extent spelling is drilled into kids through the equivalent of secondary level and into college. What I have noted that the writing here is often much more creative than on some boards in the US, so I concluded that in the educational system there must be more of an emphasis on substance rather than on style.

The funny thing is, most of the posters on Boards, myself included, were given primary education under the old curriculum (the current one having been introduced in 1999). Grammar and spelling were drilled into us. We'd have to learn off 20 or more new words every week by the time we were in 6th Class (the final year in primary school).
    The problem is that the methods used were not appropriate to the majority of students. Spellings were written out in a list and learned by rote, and everybody had to get them all correct.
    This method is not "user friendly" for children who learn in other ways (i.e. those who need a multi-sensory approach) and as such they may suffer in terms of learning.
    While it is still an important part of the new curriculum, there are now more understanding and progressive approaches used in literacy development as well.

However, I firmly believe that the greatest number of errors seen on Boards are due mostly to laziness, failure to proof read and plain old apathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I have a vague recollection of doing English grammar in primary school but doubt if it strayed much from knowing what the parts of speech were.

I did zero English grammar in secondary school.

I did about one hour of grammar in three year's of an English degree course in university.

Anyway I doubt if many teachers would have the knowledge or interest to get into the gritty details of grammar anyway.

Ask even the most educated Irish people when you should use 'who' and 'whom' - and why, they will look at you blankly. In fact I read an article recently which was written by an eminent British historian and it was littered with 'whom' - inappropriately and incorrectly - probably on the basis that it sounds posh. Little did he or his academic friends, who would probably have praised the piece, realise that it was littered with grammatical errors.

The majority of people I know in the media or in educated circles have no knowledge that 'to infer' does not mean 'to imply'. And the misuse of the word "presently" has become so commonplace that its meaning in British English has almost changed. Frankly I doubt if such errors are any less common in the UK or US.

Realistically most people pick up their grammatical awareness from what they read, and if they are reading sloppy poorly-written material they will become naturally sloppy themselves. In fairness, in the majority of contexts people can get by swimmingly without perfect grammar.

I wouldn't read too much into what is posted here as I would echo the views of others that there is a natural sloppiness here in that it is an informal situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

The Irish primary school educational system is indescribably sloppy compared to continental systems.

On the continent neatness,orderliness and tidiness are paramount in early education.
    (Which is also why the continent looks so spotless and neat compared to the sloppy,littered and filthy Irish environment.)

It is a failure of sloppy Irish teachers ultimately.
    W.B. Yeats explains what teachers here DON'T teach:

"I walk through the long schoolroom questioning;
    A kind old nun in a white hood replies;
    The children learn to cipher and to sing,
    To study reading-books and histories,
    To cut and sew, be neat in everything
    In the best modern way - the children's eyes
    In momentary wonder stare upon
    A sixty-year-old smiling public man
    ."

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Ask even the most educated Irish people when you should use 'who' and 'whom' - and why, they will look at you blankly..

That's just the Irish dialect Powerhouse.
    Most English people would regard "whom" as an old word which is seldom used in common speech.
    Nothing wrong with that.
    Our dialect has "Ye" and nothing wrong with that either.

Just try asking Irish people or Americans about the correct usage of "shall"!

Blank stares!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sillysausage

Pgibson wrote: »
    Most English people would regard "whom" as an old word which is seldom used in common speech.
    Nothing wrong with that.

Blank stares!

I don't agree with you on this. There is exact definitions of "who" and "whom" and also a correct place for both. Just because the majority of people, through ignorance or other, use it incorrectly doesn't mean there is "Nothing wrong with it". The same can be applied to "ye". It does mean something and for the most part it is used correctly by people.

I had not seen this thread earlier but I posted almost the same thing at the end of another thread. I have a real problem with my own grammar and can't for the life of me remember being taught it at all. I left school in the early 90's so maybe my memory isn't what it used to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

'to infer' does not mean 'to imply'.

And the misuse of the word "presently"

please, tell me what these words mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sillysausage

Matt Holck wrote: »

I think a lot of people use "presently" when trying to say "now". When it actually means "soon".

I think!

Nothing wrong with that.

Blank stares!

Common speech is an entirely different matter. Anything goes in common speech as there is no standard. But a dialect word like 'ye' (which is Old Saxon English, not Irish) would be unacceptable in standard written English, and it is written English that is in question here.

I don't get the connection between the Irish dialect (Hiberno-English) and the lack of 'whom' to be honest with you. The relative pronoun in Irish is a different matter altogether. 'Whom' is Old English - the dative form of 'who'. 'Whose' is the Old English genitive form of 'who', so it seems irrational to call 'whom' an old word and the other not. Naturally there are those who don't care about 'whom' and there are those to whom it matters a lot,;) but the inability of people to write gramatically does not negate grammar, in the same way that bad spelling does not render correct spelling less significant.

But my point about 'whom' is not that people should use it more, but that nobody would have a clue how, when and why to use it, which if grammar was taught they would. It's appears to be an 'old' word only because people don't know how to use it. It is still incorrect in standard English not to use it when required.

I think a lot of people use "presently" when trying to say "now". When it actually means "soon".

I think!

Correct

• Advertisement

Matt Holck wrote: »

'To imply' means to express a view indirectly. So if I said something like ' I have seen better football games than that one', someone might say that I implied (verb) that it was not a good game. Or that this view was implicit (adjective) in what I said. Or that this was the 'implication' (noun) of what I said.

'To infer' means to deduce or draw a conclusion or opinion from something. Taking the above example again, if someone heard me say that about the football game, they could infer from my comments that it was not a good game.

Put simply, the speaker 'implies', and the listener 'infers'. If I said to take an umbrella with you when you are leaving I would imply that I thought it was going to rain, but I couldn't infer that view. You could infer to your heart's content from my comment that rain might be on the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

Xavi6 wrote: »
    A lot of the time it's sloppiness. Other times your train of thought has gotten the better and you just keep typing without noticing your mistakes. I'm pretty well educated but it happens me all the time, though I take the time to go back and read what I've written before I press the 'submit' button. In that regard most people are either lazy or just don't care.

Bad spelling/grammar irritates the hell out of me if it is blatant laziness, and there are certainly people guilty of it.

I think "the train of thought" is important to stay on
    even if that involves jumping between different subjects on different boards.

Sometimes, recording the thought and moving to the next thought
    is more immediate than checking for error
    which would derail the next "logical?" thought.

I think grammar exists so that we don't infer a wrong interpretation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

Common speech is an entirely different matter. Anything goes in common speech as there is no standard. But a dialect word like 'ye' (which is Old Saxon English, not Irish) would be unacceptable in standard written English, and it is written English that is in question here.

I don't get the connection between the Irish dialect (Hiberno-English) and the lack of 'whom' to be honest with you. The relative pronoun in Irish is a different matter altogether. 'Whom' is Old English - the dative form of 'who'. 'Whose' is the Old English genitive form of 'who', so it seems irrational to call 'whom' an old word and the other not. Naturally there are those who don't care about 'whom' and there are those to whom it matters a lot,;) but the inability of people to write gramatically does not negate grammar, in the same way that bad spelling does not render correct spelling less significant.

But my point about 'whom' is not that people should use it more, but that nobody would have a clue how, when and why to use it, which if grammar was taught they would. It's appears to be an 'old' word only because people don't know how to use it. It is still incorrect in standard English not to use it when required.

Everybody done patting themselves on the back yet? Is this thread smugger than it is boring, or more boring than it is smug?

I don't get the connection between the Irish dialect (Hiberno-English) and the lack of 'whom' to be honest with you................. It's appears to be an 'old' word only because people don't know how to use it..

Can't remember when I last heard "whom" or "shall" in Cork!
    The words don't seem to be in the dialect.
    Thats all I said.

"Ye" is an old word in England (Like "Thou") but not in Hiberno-English..
    Thats all I said.

One other thing.

Are there different rules for spoken and written English?

That's a new one on me !

I'll get in there first:

"That's all I said."

Incidentally, I have no idea when to use semi-colons versus colons.
    Never could figure it out !

Can't remember when I last heard "whom" or "shall" in Cork!
    The words don't seem to be in the dialect.
    Thats all I said.

"Ye" is an old word in England (Like "Thou") but not in Hiberno-English..
    Thats all I said.

One other thing.

Are there different rules for spoken and written English?

That's a new one on me !

Of course. Standard English like Standard Irish is simply a written grammar and lexicon of the language created so that it can be taught in schools. Dialects in spoken English will always have their differences - how on earth could you impose a standard spoken English? You could hardly publish a book and send it to 400 million people and expect them to start sounding the same. The reason for relative adherence to standard tenses is simply to be understood, rather than for any requirement to be 'correct'.

You need correct spelling in written English so that people know what word you mean - though of course many novels have been written in dialect. But in spoken English you can 'spell' it anyway you like. Words will be pronounced differently in different parts of the Anglophone world, but it doesn't make one version more correct that any other, despite the emergence of 'BBC English' as a kind of unofficial standard spoken English. In standard written English there are correct and incorrect spellings, good grammar and bad garmmar. This should not be confused with spoken English.

An American journalist once said that the word 'whom' was invented "to make everyone sound like a butler", so I am surprised that it's not bigger in Cork!

dublinario wrote: »

Is this thread smugger than it is boring, or more boring than it is smug?

The former, indubitably.

I think!

That's an interesting comment, because in the US, if the word presently is used at all, it means soon. The word shall isn't used common speech, but it does appear in legal writing.

I brought this topic up this morning with a colleague of mine from Ireland who's quite passionate about a number of topics. It turns out he has strong opinions on the Irish educational system. He believes that English classes in Ireland are designed to produce the next James Joyce; creative writing is emphasized and lauded. (I can never tell if he really believes what he's saying or if he's just baiting people to get a discussion going.) If the system can produce more people of the caliber of James Joyce, then from my selfish perspective, that's great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

The english language has so many grammatical rules that we have forgotten. For eg, a sentence is never meant to end with a preposition but people still do it. This could never happen in another language like french as the structure of the sentence could never work. I think once you start to learn another language, you realise how sloppy your own language is.

Eg:

Whom are you angry with:confused:

or

With whom are you angry:confused:

Imo, both sound stupid in modern day english. Language evolves and if you want to say:

"Who are you angry with" or "who ya angry wi"

Then, i don't see a problem. The ultimate goal of language is for the recipient to understand. If i was a snob and speaking in the former form, many people would look at me blankly and snigger to themselves and i would understand why.

Advertisement