Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acoustic Strings

Options
  • 16-10-2008 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

I'm looking to get a softer and "bass-ier" sound out of my acoustic so I was wondering what kind of strings I should get. I suppose common sense would say the thicker the gauge the better.

I'm starting to learn and play a lot of Luka Bloom songs, he uses DADGAD and even as low as CGCFGC, and when my current strings are tuned down that low they don't produce the lovely sound Luka produces.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

What're you using for starters, i use martin sp's cause they're cheap and have a nice thump :P maybe your action is a bit low for that tuning, if its too low when you drop tune you get all this twangy horrible trebley sound that overshadows any nice tone you may have, also if you want to go to extremes then try play every note farther down the neck, about half way between the note and bridge is usually the bassiest place but this varies, plectrum choice also comes into play, 1mm dunlops give a very deep sound, where as 46 and 60 more towards treble, tortex are incredibly trebley, maybe try them crazy 3mm jazz plecs, those jazz fellas love their bass in their guitar tone

Advertisement