Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunnes Stores to close down

• 16-10-2008 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Dunnes Store on Main St in Wexford town or Little Dunne's as it is sometimes called is going to close. Staff have been given option of redundancy or transfer elsewhere

It was due to be knocked down some years ago for a major development but that idea was quickly shelved.

Its going to be weird seeing Dunnes closed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I heard somewhere that Dunnes were only allowed develope Redmond Square provided they maintained Dunnes on the Main Street! Isn't it a condition of planning permission?

I suppose they did keep it open for over 10 years. It has been let run down, especially the rear entrance off the car park. The recesion is also a great oppertunity for big business to justify such closurers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

wow - another boarded up building for our streets !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

aii, another sign of the times.

even tesco in gorey is stopping its 24hour opening times soon also. as was announced in the local papers

and jeez, if tesco are doing this, some figures somewhere must not be adding up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 spungeofthedead

i worked in dunnes in redmond square for 3 years and i had to work in the main street shop once or twice and the stockroom and the toilets were in **** condition. the mens toilet flooded because the windows were broke for years and the stock room was manky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pau8lieskins

i worked in dunnes in redmond square for 3 years and i had to work in the main street shop once or twice and the stockroom and the toilets were in **** condition. the mens toilet flooded because the windows were broke for years and the stock room was manky

The mens toilet didn't flood because of the windows it was water coming down from the tank in the roof I had to climb up there one day to see what was wrong and its the old pipes cracked and leaking. I spent 4 years working in that place before they got a new roof over the stockroom you had to run around the place with buckets and moving stock every time it rained, Oh and the basement used to flood when it rained the sewage would come up through the old deli counter I emptied it out one day and spent the rest of the day washing myself. Great place to work even though its falling apart, Great staff and Great Craic

I only left because of the lack of hours they gave me though I returned once but again I didn't get the hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I wonder if it is just coincidence that there is a meeting of all store managers on thursday?
    a closure like that is just the sort of thing that would be done if the chain was being taken over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭jd

Rumour is that Dunnes has been sold to ASDA

I wonder if it is just coincidence that there is a meeting of all store managers on thursday?
    a closure like that is just the sort of thing that would be done if the chain was being taken over

I think its coincidence as there have been closures that i know of in Wicklow, Enniscorthy and Waterford in past year and the meetings are due to start tomorrow and a press release on thursday/friday, Takeover I dunno its hard to say but I think its more of a restructuring with some kinda promotion the "promotion to end all promotions"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

"promotion to end all promotions"

maybe the return of the 61% off frozen foods?

"promotion to end all promotions"

maybe the return of the 61% off frozen foods?

Who knows but Dunnes Stores needs something to get customers back from the likes of Tesco's, Lidl and Aldi .

• Advertisement

yea i left too because of lack of hours but it was a fun place to work in (apart from narky managers and the odd sly workers!!) but i doubt dunnes stores is getting sold although business has been slow in last year its still a huge retailer in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

jd wrote: »
    Rumour is that Dunnes has been sold to ASDA

Heard that myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Ra1ph

Heard that myself

Yeah so did I...http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/1104/dunnes.html

yea i left too because of lack of hours but it was a fun place to work in (apart from narky managers and the odd sly workers!!) but i doubt dunnes stores is getting sold although business has been slow in last year its still a huge retailer in ireland

When did you work there ? I was there from 98-2002 and went back in 2006 for a short stint but hours were never great.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 obrien_jimmy

Id say its a restructuring of somesort, albeit a preety big one id say. hope they keep the staff that we have now though if not alot of people will be visiting the dole ques each week and from what I hear they seem to be getting bigger nowadays. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

Its official, according to the People its closing on Saturday.. 10 staff have been offered a transfer to Redmond Square or statutory redundancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

It is no surprise. This building is need of work and i suppose the shop doesnt have trade to justify the investment.

Dunnes are on a massive cost cutting drive at the moment but maybe it has something to do with a potential takeover. Hope the shop is not left like the Rafter St. store in Enniscorthy.

ehm i started there 2005 until febuary this year. i worked in the drapery dept. mostly in the homewares section pretending to do work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

Worked there meself in the main street shop for a year. I'd say it was around 2005 or 2006. Worked in the stockroom but left for college. Tony was a legend though. :) Musta known at least one person in this thread...

the mirror has it down today that it might even be Walmart from the US that are looking to buy Dunnes

yellow brand will become blue, white and red stripes :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

wreckless wrote: »
    the mirror has it down today that it might even be Walmart from the US that are looking to buy Dunnes

yellow brand will become blue, white and red stripes :rolleyes:

Walmart own ASDA.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Walmart own ASDA.

learn something new everyday!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

would be a good spot for a company like pc-world or a decent computor store

Advertisement