Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First impressions?

Options
  • 17-10-2008 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

It's finally here, October 17th 2008!

Use this topic to post you're thoughts after your first few games. I would, except I have to wait till the weekend :mad:

Does it differ much from the demo? How's the online? Tell all here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

deise59 wrote: »
    It's finally here, October 17th 2008!

Use this topic to post you're thoughts after your first few games. I would, except I have to wait till the weekend :mad:

Does it differ much from the demo? How's the online? Tell all here.

I think its much more similar to pes08 than the demo makes out. still good though, waiting to get used to it still....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

I just started up a master league and played around 5 games. I won 3 and drew 2 which I think is remarkable considering in the earlier master leagues, the first season is mostly losses and draws. I'm not sure if it's the new AI or if Ruskin and Ordaz's red arrows are playing a part, but this time around it doesn't feel as frustrating which is somewhat disappointing ironically. But so far, the master league seems to be kept exactly the same - actually, they added that heart/loyalty thing which looks a bit iffy. Hopefully I'll see if "High Transfer Frequency" actually means high transfer frequency in this game.
    The new skin is nicer, the graphics are slightly better, it feels a bit slower (could be because I've just playing the ML) but they seem to have cut out that useless 20-minute-wait for the referee's whistle before a free-kick can be taken.
    It would've been nice if all the transfers were up-to-date though. Does anyone know if a 360 Live update would be available with all the proper transfers?
    Oh, I noticed Vela of Arsenal looks quite promising... tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Picked this up last night and played it for a few hours. After playing a friendly just to be sure that some of the niggles from '08 had been ironed out (smooth camera work, fluid replays, etc. Online wasn't really working until today, so I'll have to try that later - fingers crossed).

After seeing that there was some definite improvement, I went straight for the new areas - Become a Legend. This is really good stuff, it's almost like having to re-learn how to play the game again. You have to trust your team mates will do their job, because you can't always jump in and control them as the last defender. You have to mark your opponent and try to find space to receive a pass, or make a break without going offside.

I know, I know - FIFA did this last year (and many will talk about Winning Eleven having this feature in Japan years ago), but it's a great way to add more to the game. You have to start off as a 17 year old, trying to break into the ranks to get on to the bench, and if you get there you have to try to prove that you're worth a starting position. You get to play through until you are 35 - really, that's 18 full seasons you can play through (in comparison, I think Be a Pro in Fifa only covers four seasons). You have the option to retire at any point after you are 27. It's a great challenge and will make the game longer for sure.

Gameplay wise, the game is much more fluid than last years. The goalies don't seem to rebound the shots out 18 yeards to the nearest oncoming striker. Your team mates seem to move more logically. One thing that took a while to get used to was the fact that the Right Analogue stick (on 360) no longer does your skill moves and is the manual pass. There were a couple of times I wanted to do a step-over, only to pass the ball into nowhere-ville. I still do it occassionally out of habit, but it actually seems like a good move, because the direct manual pass could be lethal instead of the usual 'Y' through ball.

Overall, I'm still impressed with it and glad of my purchase. The usual grumbles are still there in comparison to FIFA - visual style, flair, and commentary, the sheer weight of licenced teams and so on. However, I find these to be superficial. This years FIFA does a lot to improve things but you still feel like you are battling against the controls a little bit and are not as involved (your button presses like you are suggesting to the player what you would like to do - although it's much better than FIFA '08) - with this PES, you feel much more like you're playing the game. It feels right.

That being said - there's enough length in this iteration of PES that will keep me going for a long time. I don't think I'll need to pick up PES 2010 next year, because this will keep me plenty busy, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Ok
    Played for a few hours last night and at the start I was very wary. Its play much differently than last years and is a good bit slower (which is a good thing cos last years was too fast).
    After a few games I started to get the feel and enjoying it quite a bit.Havent been beaten yet so will have to change the difficulty level (currently regular).

Havent played online yet so I can't comment on that but in all fairness it cant really be as bad as last years.

The become a legend mode is interesting. I have just signed with Man City and I'm trying to break into the first team but I'm starting to find the training games a little repetitive.

I really like the champions league mode.

Is it just me or do the Menu's look like they were made by a 10 year old with MSPaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

I didnt play PES08 on PS3 last year only on PS2 and it was great fun! This year and its PS3 time and the demo was very underwhelming. The full release tho from the 3 games i played last night was a lot lot better than the demo. I found it quite fast i have to admit and you really need your wits about you when playing it around the midfield. I noticed it was very easy to score from corners. In one game I won 3-0 Arg V Bra with Tevez scoring a hat trick from corners! Just whip them in and he gets on the end of them.
    Anyway it needs more time like all PES increments but its promising. Oh ya had issues getting a GAME ID - grr tried for ages, presuming its just some sort of maintenance issues.
    Anyway a happy PES fan here. Roll on the online now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Heres a list of Xbox achievements if anyone is interested:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/pes-2009/achievements/

Anybody played it on both the xbox and the PS3? any differences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Another improvement I noticed: being able to start the second half of a game much more quickly without having to skip through replays and loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭D/C

Got pro evo last night, and have been playin a good few games and really liking it!

Love the Champions League addition and the Full Manchester United line up! Waiting on the update for the full list of final day transfers! Although it could lead to Utd been very short unless it brings in more of the young players!

Havent played online yet or the become a legend feature!

The game plays nothing like the demo which is a hugh relief!

Oh and the replays are alot better than last years game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

D/C wrote: »
    The game plays nothing like the demo which is a hugh relief!

yeah? How you mena. I didn't like the demo at all and like fifa 09. I didn't buy PES purely on the demo. Is there much of a difference in gameplay ?

The the game plays alot quicker than the demo, the players pace really shows! Players first touches and quick passes are far better!

Overall the demo is in no way a representation of the final product! Roll on the transfer updates!

• Advertisement

The the game plays alot quicker than the demo, the players pace really shows! Players first touches and quick passes are far better!
    Quicker ? Jesus ... I thought the demo was too fast. Might just rent or wait for the November update.

Maybe a good idea if your not sure! Another idea is to get it from the likes of asda if your near the north or if you order online it costs £27 ie around €35! If you dont like it, trade it in, i'm sure you will get a good price for it, if you trade it so soon after release!

Another thing that is cool is that you can import you own music into the game and get rid of all the brutal tracks that play while your editing or sorting out your pre game formation!

Another thing that is cool is that you can import you own music into the game and get rid of all the brutal tracks that play while your editing or sorting out your pre game formation!

:) I thought the music was alright in the dem :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I have played it a bit online now. lag isnt bad at all if youplay someone with a good connection. the games can be very scrappy though. like the ball getting caught between two players and just knocking around for a bit. Tackling is very hard as players just constantly turn and stuff. you cant commit to tackles at all really. the games are very high scoring due to this. I won 4 games in a row 4-2.

It is good but very frustrating when you are clearly aiming a pass at a player and it goes to another or not even near them and concede posession for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Is the demo seriously not representative of the finished product?

I have been playing FIFA for the first time in about 10 years and really enjoying it, on the verge of buying it, entirely based on how disappointed I was with the PES demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Is the demo seriously not representative of the finished product?

I have been playing FIFA for the first time in about 10 years and really enjoying it, on the verge of buying it, entirely based on how disappointed I was with the PES demo.

get both tbh

pes is excellent, the legend mode is worth the purchase and i only playing it a few hours, wouldnt know about online cos its broken :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I played the FIFA and PES demos on PC and thought the PES demo was far more impressive.

I bought PES for the PC today and is very representive of the demo. It's far more playable than the previous version.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

An online match was one of the first things I tried with FIFA and it was smooth and the lad I played didn't dive straight for Brazil/Barcelona. FIFA really is putting up the bar this year.

Is that "Legend Mode" where you are only one lad on the team? Not pushed about that tbh.

Also after years of ridiculing who went on about the real jerseys/stadiums/proper commentary etc.etc it is kind of nice to have all those things along with challenging gameplay.

Online PES is possibly the most frustrating gaming out there, FIFA online is a joy in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Bought it today for the XBOX. Have been playing it for a few hours now and Im starting to really get into it. The first few games were hard to get used to and messy. Shooting is very sensitive and took a while to get the hang of. Im not scoring any really from outside the box, mostly headers or turn and shoot in the box.

Played my first game as Liverpool v Celtic in an exhibition and lost 2-0. Ive worked my way through the Konami Cup and all that and have found a lot of games going into extra time and penalties. Havent managed to score more than 3 in a single game yet either so doesnt look to be cricket scores in this version of PES, which is nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

• I didnt play the last pro so came from playing 6. again very simply things that would have made the game flow really well havent been done.
    • Menus crap
    • cant pick random international teams anymore
    • red cards are too easy gotton
    • ridiculously if u are playing with a friend only one controller can navigate the the menus! but strangly they make each player select what strip they want before each game(instead of once 1 player hits x game starts)
    • long load time for matchs
    • cross field balls are good and it can actually help u instead of putting u under pressure
    • crosses and corners are much easier to score from
    • replays that i just want to skip and half time really slow the play
    • quick free kicks are better i think
    • keepers parry the ball a hell of alot and most of the time to a striker
    • gameplay is more random and cpu controlled as in a well timed tackle can result in the striker remaining with the ball
    • long throws are better
    • Why o why after an exhibition match is the first option play again with SAME teams instead of play again with different teams!
    • BRING BACK DOUBLE SPEED MATCHS!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

OK!

My biggest problem with this game is how they changed the cursor settings and took out the option to control your keeper. :mad:

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    OK!
    /QUOTE]
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I don't like it. It is too arcadey, so much so that graphics aren't even an issue (hence why nobody has mentioned them yet). PES 08 on the PS2 is basically the same as this except maybe this game has slightly more developed game play.

The Become a Legend is a let down. The camera is the same as it was in the other games, it doesn't really make you feel like you're involved when you're on the ball. Also how you play is done on an overall rating which you don't see until the end of the match, and the ratings are AGAIN too harsh.

The Champions League mode should have been integrated into Master League. It is not the same playing just the Champions League, it needs to be accompanied by a long gruelling season in order for one to get a real sense of achievement from winning it.

In short; It plays like an arcade football game which is fine when you're playing with mates, but on your own there is not much fun in it. I cannot justify paying big money for this when there are other (PES 08 - PS2) perfectly good Pro Evos. The change isn't drastic at all

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

when i started playing i taught it was so so

but a few games in im really getting used to it

i had some match in the master league

i was 4-1 up in the first half

but the computer came out and nearly bet me

it ended 5-4 in my favour

really like it

i dought id buy it still

i rented it out for a week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

Im dissapointed,
    Playing it last night dont see much change from pro 2008 and was trying to play online for about an hour and failed to join one match.

although the champions league is a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Hi Guys

I have been a fan of Pro Evo since the very start. I bought PES 2008 last year and was very dissapointed with it, especially the online play. This was seabass and co's chance to make a statement with next generation graphics and game engine, but they failed to do so.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt with last years release and decided to purchase PES 2009 yesterday after playing the demo. First thing I did was to check the online play and to my shock its no different than 2008. Why oh why could they not use the same model as PES 2006, it had great online play, little or no lag, lots of competitions and online leagues. But once again Konami has failed to deliver.

In this era of gaming online play is paramount, but Konami seems to have been resting on its laurels, they had the market domination over the past few years but not anymore. I bought FIFA 09 this year reluctantly but was amazed with the both the online play & general all-round gameplay. EA have really stepped up to the plate with next generation gaming and if Konami dont pull their proverbial socks up they will get left behind.

Having had my rant It's not fair to discount PES 2009 this soon as I need more time playing it. The Champions League looks a nice addition, as does Become a Legend. I hope Konami will address the transfers with an update patch like FIFA do. I mean month old transfers are here (Voronin with Liverpool, Riera with espanyol).
    The ball is in your court now Seabass :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Carroller wrote: »
    Im dissapointed,
    Playing it last night dont see much change from pro 2008 and was trying to play online for about an hour and failed to join one match.

although the champions league is a nice touch.

I think its changed a fair bit.and its all up in the air for me as to whether I’m a fan of it or not yet. Got a slight scare off my mate just after buying it. He informed me the defending is still cat, goalkeepers are terrible and both centre halves get attracted to the ball. I havent come across that yet, but I have seen one or two things myself.

Initially its very low scoring. 0-0, 2-1, 1-0 etc. Slower pace to the game from 2008 which is good. Through ball is tougher to pull off and nearly every teams back four is tough to get past. They seem to be on top of you like a rash everytime you get into the final 3rd. The midfield area is like a scene from braveheart. So, has the fun been taken out of it? If you are 2-0 down are you gonna come back from the dead?

We’ll just have to see. Disappointing that the squads aren’t fully completed. Berbatov, Tanio and Kaboul still at Spurs, Sheva at Chelsea, Saha at United, no Reira at Pool etc… yet Robbie is there?

I’ll give it another few goes before giving a complete verdict on it. I remember slating PES 6 before getting used to it, just hoping the same happens with this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dhayz2000

PS3 version - based on first impressions (I have only this version played twice - none online)

Pros:
    • Harder to dribble past opposition
    • As a result, you have to utilise off the ball running more after passing it, which is better IMO
    • Harder to score with R2 shots, I thought this was too easy in the last version
    • I quite like the new menu screen, very Web 2.0ish
    • Menu screen music is good - who is the band?
    • Quick free kicks are easier to do
    • High through balls have a better success rate
    • Graphics are better
    • Second half quickstart option

Cons:
    • Crowd chanting is doing my head in - if you pick Liverpool as home team they chant "When the reds come marching in" over and over. I haven't had chance to download new chants yet but it is high on my priority list
    • Teams not updated - surely moving the likes of Berb etc. couldn't be that hard to do before release date?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Hola bitches!! Long time no speak, over whelming improvement may I say... Glad to see the PES dudes stick it to those dillholes over at EA. I'll give my review a tad bit later as I'm still at word. The boss found out about boards and blocked it, thankfully it's only a computer block and now, as I got my new shiney iPhone 3G, I can talk to you gringos at work again... Hoorah!!!

• Advertisement

dhayz2000 wrote: »

Cons:
    • Crowd chanting is doing my head in - if you pick Liverpool as home team they chant "When the reds come marching in" over and over.

I agree, it drives me demented haha!

I find myself either hitting the post and it bouncing back into play or else hitting the post and going in a lot of the time. Is it just my aiming?? :eek:

Advertisement