Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First impressions?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Finally picked Pes 2009 up yesterday.
    It is worth shopping around, seen it for 50 upto 65, Smyth doing a deal where you can get it for 9.99 as long as you trade in 2 games (usual T&C so i suppose it will not be any games you can trade in)

Now the game.
    Only played it for a couple of hours sofar and since i was curious about the Legend thing i havent been doing anyhting else than that.
    I guess it is a mode you have to get used to, the camera position and the game play.
    So far i miss 1 option in the legend mode. You should be able to get you Mr 15% in and have him start stirring some ****. i just can not get myself a game, i am not even on the bench after 5 or 6 trainings matches.
    Ok.. i have to admit, i can shoot for ****. matter of gettign used to it i guess.

All by all, this version does bring back some of the feelings i had in the past when the new version came out, it felt like a complete new game in the past. this version feels somewhat like a new game.
    PES2008, when i played that one the first time i though i had put in the wrong disc and was still playing pes6.
    But even PES2008 gave me hours of fun so i am not worried about this version getting chunked out of the window after 1 month playing.

Didnt try online yet...... First need to get myself to an acceptable level....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

This version really is a whole lot better than PES 08 but it still has some major flaws...even some new ones.

One example of a new on is that all of a sudden there are defenders slide tackling without my input. It did this occasionally in the last version, but its gone up a huge amount.
    Playing a game the other day I got a player sent off for two terrible tackles where I hadn't even pressed the tackle button. (note: I was in control of the player at the time).

Also, I seem to be scoring own goals to beat the band. Scored 3 in one game the other night. All I ever do on defending a cross is hold the opposite direction and the shoot button... yet it nods it right towards goal a high % of times.... very weird. Anyone shed any light on that?

Other than that I think the feel of the game is great. The graphics are way better, the speed is way better (although even still a little fast). The sound isn't great all right, but you get over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Is it just me or is it really hard to win the ball back using pressure button? it just seems too easy for the attacking player to dribble by the defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

I know its a bit early but for next years version I suggest they change the request a pass button to a shout abuse at your teamates button. I am p*ssed off watching as they try to beat the defender 2 and 3 times before getting in a cross when the first time they had plenty of room. Also p*ssed off holding my runs and then straying offside at the last minute just because they wont pass the ball at the right time.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I find myself really dissappointed with PES2009.

It just doesnt feel like football to me. I think its too similar to 2008 which was imo a piss poor game. Become a Legend doesnt work as well as it should because the A.I. decides if you play well or not, most of the time they just run backwards before passing to the keeper while your trying to make a run, the call for the ball button seems to work every now and again, i dunno. Ive played a full season so its not like i didnt give it a shot, i just dont like it.

PES on PS2 and XBox, and even PES 6 on 360 just felt right, quick, accurate, realistic. Now they have implemented so much bull****, like the fan chats, bollox "Liverpool. Liverpool.Liverpool" over and over. The sound contact with the ball makes drives me mental, howcome when im dribbling all i can hear is "BOOF. BOOF. BOOF. BOOF."

The animations have improved, some run very smooth. But other than that, i just dont know. Its not what it used to be. I still break out PES 4 with the mates sometimes. That was a real football game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

So Glad I didn't rush out and buy this on release day, I said I'd give it a chance by what everyone online (bar-fanboys) were saying about it, but I've actually been turned off even more.

Might rent for a few days but I'm in no rush to do so.

Sad times for us original PES fans, unexplainable and unforgiveable how a series can go backwards so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    PES on PS2 and XBox, and even PES 6 on 360 just felt right, quick, accurate, realistic. Now they have implemented so much bull****, like the fan chats, bollox "Liverpool. Liverpool.Liverpool" over and over. The sound contact with the ball makes drives me mental, howcome when im dribbling all i can hear is "BOOF. BOOF. BOOF. BOOF."

The animations have improved, some run very smooth. But other than that, i just dont know. Its not what it used to be. I still break out PES 4 with the mates sometimes. That was a real football game.

Yea i agree 100% with this. I think the reason why the game has got worst is that every year they are forced to mess around with the game otherwise everyone will just say its the same as least year. The problem with this is that they are trying to fix things that aren't actually broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Torres is terrible in the new one. :eek: Who'ed have thought Ryan Babel would be kicking his arse in the goal scoring charts? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

(Online review)
    Better than last years but still fairly poor.
    Crowd chants are dire.
    Lack of defender 'muscle' is terrible so they basically can't tackle the opposing forwards.
    Ref way too strict so no sliding tackles from any angle.
    Still no license ffs.
    The great players can basically dance thru ur defence.
    and probs the most unforgivable one is the lack of response, especially if you lose the ball.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

got the PC version yesterday, but fails to run on my PC, even though it more than meets minimum spec. just gets a runtime error. sooo once i dget it fixed, ill let yee know how the PC version fares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Picking up a copy tomorrow, can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

First impressions?

Seven games in as Liverpool, and I've just smashed my controller off the wall and subsequently uninstalled the game in a fit of frustrated rage in reacton to some of the "intelligent AI" passes that I have been trying to make my players make.

Sorry, regardless of anything else, and I've many more problems with the game (both this and the last "new" game), but when you have those idiotic short through balls hit two yards in front of an opposition defender, then something isn't working right. Not to mention "near post" cross that are ALWAYS straight into the keepers hands. Or another one of a dozen shortcomings.

Sorry, Konami, you can stick Pro Evo up your hole. I'm not going to switch to Fifa, but after six/seven years of buying your games, you can **** off if you think thats a step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

NotWormBoy wrote: »
    but when you have those idiotic short through balls hit two yards in front of an opposition defender, then something isn't working right.

Agreed. Very annoying bug that.

I also can't believe linear the players movements are, truly awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

I rented this over the weekend, and how glad am I that's all I did, I even feel robbed of my 5 quid rental price.

What a piece of complete trash, there's just too many faults and horrible things wrong with this game to go into, its actually worse than 08' in my opinion, whats become of the footie brand I loved so dearly?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dodgey69

Have been playing Pro evo since the ISS days and it has always been way better than FIFA, until last year.

This year needed a huge improvement and i can only say that it is absolute garbage. Defending is near on impossible. any online games that dont have the lag in them end up cricket scores(7-6, 6-2, 6-1). Its basically tip off, get someone decent on the play and dribble in on goal.

Terrible terrible game. Ill be going out to Buy FIFA for the first time ever now

Advertisement