Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1993 VW Golf CL taking in Water

Options
  • 17-10-2008 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Details of the car in title. Noticed the carpet in the drivers footwell was soaking wet and still hasn't dried out a few weeks later.

It used to leak about 6 months ago from the inside lights above the dash that turn on when you open the doors. This was due to a loose aerial which I fixed using super glue and it's sturdy still. Car also has a sunroof.

I also checked the drain under the front windscreen. I lifted the bonnet for a better view and it was clear. No leaves or anything that would block the drain.

Any ideas where to check next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Make sure it's water, and not coolant from a knackered heater matrix.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

You could be right as I had coolant problems that are detailed in this thread .

The coolant levels are fine now though after a second refill but could have caused my current problem

Where do I check if the heater matrix is knackered or do I need to bring it to a garage?

I'm still not sure if it's water or coolant that's in the driver's footwell as the carpet soaks it up. Can't figure it out from smelling it anyhow.

Another thing to note. I have to slightly top up the water/coolant levels every week or so at the moment. Could be related

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Having the very same problem with my 97 corolla at the minute. Passenger footwell constantly damp.

If the heater matrix is borked how much water would it leak roughly or does it depend on the extent of the borkedness

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Vegeta wrote: »
    Having the very same problem with my 97 corolla at the minute. Passenger footwell constantly damp.

If the heater matrix is borked how much water would it leak roughly or does it depend on the extent of the borkedness
    It'll keep leaking for as long as there's enough coolant in the engine to feed the leak. Or enough to keep the engine from overheating. Best thing is to check your coolant, top up as necessary. Next time you check it you'll have a much better idea of what's going on.

• Advertisement

Coming back to this topic again as problem still exists. I'm using water instead of coolant now as the levels go down a fair bit and have to top up every week or so. The driver footwell is still damp. So looks like it is due to the leak?

I suppose I better take it to a mechanic to check for a knackered heater matrix as I've no idea how to check it.

Any other ideas on the next step to take.

Advertisement