Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Bus Galway (red buses)

Options
  • 17-10-2008 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Just moved to the west side of the city, out by the Clybaun Road. Was warned in advance that bus services weren't great out there, but the city bus timetables looked ok. However, I've a prob with the number 34 (Cappagh Road to City Centre via NUIG etc).

That one would suit me grand, since I work in college and the 33 brings me to Cookes Corner and no nearer, but it doesn't seem to take a route that includes the Clybaun Road Upper (past the hotel). Could anyone tell me how far I need to walk down to find a bus stop? Been pissing rain most evenings since I moved, so haven't made it far down.

Really short follow-up Q: is there actually a definitive price on City bus routes? The last 3 buses I've taken have displayed completely different price structures: from €1.60 up to €3 for adult tickets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I *think* that bus goes from outside Clybaun stores. If it's the one I'm thinking of it takes an age to get anywhere though. My first, last and only time getting on to it I asked the driver if he was going into town, to which he replied "Eventually". It took 50 minutes in no traffic, and we went past the stores another two times before we left knocknacarra.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

The Seacrest Bus Eireann bus will take you to Knocknacarra church, easy enough to get to Clybaun from there.

I remeber how ****e it was when trying to rely on just the City Link buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah the red bus isn't great really, also its the most expensive at 1.60e. If I were you I'd head down towards Joyce's and get the bus there, cheaper and a lot quicker getting to town. The Red bus should go past the hotel on both sides, the Western Distributor side and heading up towards the country roads (cant think of the road name). Also it stops outside of Clybaun Stores, this should probably be the quickest route to get to town because it leaves Knocknacarra straight after this stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Thanks lads, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 magiktimes

I know this is a relatively old thread but I am wondering if the bus out that direction is still as bad ?

I am considering moving in that direction by binn bann but dont have a car as yet so wondering if its a stupid idea without a car ? I have a little girl and beleive schools are quiet good out there ? But worried about bad public transport and no local shops ? How much does a cab cost to there does anyone know ?

What time do the red buses run too does anyone know ? And I beleive bus eirran does do ballymoheed road but only at the bottom is that very far from cappagh road ?

Thanks would really apreciate any advise my head is wrecked trying to make a decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Its an awful service still. Just as bad, if not worse. €1.80 too.

Getting into work in the morning is ok, they have enough to get people into town, but getting home; prepare to be waiting 30+ minutes every evening. Disaster.

Absolute shambles of a company.

Thanks chris appreciate any information... I think they are a pretty bad company all round ... What time is the last red bus out there do you know ? And how much is a cab more or less ?

Thx for your help :D

Cab from Eyre Square to Knocknacarra is about €20 I think.

Timetables ->

http://www.citydirectgalway.com/bus_galway_buses_timetables2.php

Take these with a pinch of salt tho, if I see a bus passing my window I check the time versus the timetable and they are NEVER EVER on time. Best just to go outside and wait till one turns up, regardless of time.

Thanks Chris.. dont think Ill be moving out that way at this stage.. not without a car anyway or untill bus eirrann services that way lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

For what it's worth and I'm not sure if it's because of the Volvo Ocean race or not but they've started up a service to Merlin Park/Oranmore . Found that out on the Eyre Square bus shelter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

that route both the 33 and 34 are complete and utter rubbish
    my daughter uses them for school and the amount of times i get a call the bus hasnt come mum,
    the bus driver has decided too take another route mum
    and recently 4 times in 3 weeks, we have broken down mum can you come and get me.
    and the amount of times i see the drivers chatting on the phone while driving a bus... mmm does anyone know who they are regulated by?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Take these with a pinch of salt tho, if I see a bus passing my window I check the time versus the timetable and they are NEVER EVER on time. Best just to go outside and wait till one turns up, regardless of time.
    Top tip: Show up at the stop 15 mins before or after the scheduled time for best results.
    and the amount of times i see the drivers chatting on the phone while driving a bus... mmm does anyone know who they are regulated by?
    There's one particular driver who'll listen to his iPod whilst driving as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Basic road rules would be the responsibility of the garda.

Licencing services seems to be the Department of Transport (http://www.transport.ie/transport/agencies/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=848), but I doubt you'd get them interested in the behaviour of individual drivers.

Twice in the last week, I've been on a BE bus with the same driver, who has run a red light. Seriously considered calling the gardi will I was still on the bus, but suspect it'll be hard to get them interested unless until he actually has an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Knocknacarra is probably one of the worst places in the world, no facilities, a terrible bus service
    i actually think the city direct is decent, normally spot on time but the bus eireann is horrendous, plus rent out there is too high for what you get, all in all very bad place

cab out there is about 10-12 euro from town, 8-10 off claddagh hackneys

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

and cappagh road is the worst part of knocknacarra

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭RossD1983

yeah, an absolute and utter disgrace

* Drivers taking alternate routes
    * buses are never on time outside of morning hours
    * buses are damp
    * full of scumbag kids who the drivers have absolutely no authority over
    * Drivers are often rude to folk who get on and question timetable - take no ownership of the s.hit service
    * Drivers often talk to their mates while driving
    * One driver wears an ipod constantly while driving

Just a joke. Ive lived in Knocknacarra for about a year and everything Ive heard about the ''service'' has been 100% true.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

EI111 wrote: »
    Knocknacarra is probably one of the worst places in the world, no facilities,

I'm just curious as to what facilities you think it should have?

I don't know the area well, but even so I've noticed a supermarket, community rooms above it, some other shops in the complex, a church, a national school, a hardware shop, a park with some play equipment ...

Knocknacarra has no pub.

That should say reams for an Irish suburb.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Knocknacarra has no pub.

That should say reams for an Irish suburb.
    Sheridan's, The Clybaun Hotel and the Spinnaker at a push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

RossD1983 wrote: »

You forgot to mention Drivers who wander outside of the bus for 10-15 minutes having a smoke while making the passengers wait but otherwhise everything you said is true. Sometimes I can't even understand how they even became a licensed Bus service...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

The red bus is terrifying! I've been on two that have crashed, countless of them that have broken down, a few where people have been drinking at the back and smoking out the window, one where the driver stopped up a country road, got out, locked us all in the bus and went into a house, 15 minutes later a guy in jeans and a t-shirt came out, got in the bus and drove away!
    I was waiting at the bus stop in Eyre Square with some friends once who were getting the red bus and the bus pulled up and the driver got out. He locked the doors but there were people still inside. A few minutes later the bus started rolling backwards onto the road and no one on the bus realised it. The eejit forgot to put the brake on and it came so close to having a major accident.

I also once spent 1 hour and 50 minutes on a red bus, going from town to the Clybaun hotel, there wasn't even much traffic, he just took the most ridiculous route ever.

Advertisement