Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Fees! Etc...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Fluther wrote: »
    Reading this thread is giving me a headache...i rarely come onto this site and now i am remembering why...

@ Het-Field...criticise Labour all you want but they did not advocate the tax breaks offered to the super rich and reduction of income tax, like the PDs, which created holes in the Irish govt's revenue which in turn lead to less funding in education. I am not getting into an argument about economics here but i'm simply offering a different point of view.

@anyone in favour of fees...Are you off you trolley? Before i went on Erasmus i had a job and i paid tax. I did not mind paying it becos i felt i was benefiting with my almost free education etc. When i leave ucd i will not mind paying tax as it will bring benefits to both me and the society i live in. What i do mind is being charged again with university fees or being stung for €100 every time i go to A&E.

More funding for universities yes, but fees no. There is plenty of money wasted by the govt every year, maybe if that was curtailed then funding could be re allocated, rather than hitting at easy targets like 3rd level students.

Dont feed me that rubbish. Denis O Brien is known to hand over thousands and thousands in benevolent funds . He was doing so in an inner city school not so long ago. Into the bargain he has created countless jobs within the private sector. He has done huge a great amount for the Irish economy,a nd it is right to encourge him, as an entrareneur. Plus, I cite the Laffer Curve as a means of rebutting your argument on income tax. An increase in taxation, does not always mean an income in tax revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Newstalk saying 100 students sitting on the ground, planning on preventing Brian Lenihan entering the college. 40 Gardaí there too.

2 have been arrested already...

Fun times to follow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

40 Gardai? More like 10. There's not very many people there. Just a lot of teenage boys who by the look of it have had a bit of dutch courage.

They could have thought this out better. The only way this is going to end is in violence, which will reflect badly on the student body. Larger numbers would have been far more effective than 50 boys wearing those Palestinian neck scarves rattling railings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Ok, I take it back somewhat, there's a far more impressive louder crowd there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

The Union were organising a peaceful protest of class reps that's probably them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Dave! wrote: »
    Newstalk saying 100 students sitting on the ground, planning on preventing Brian Lenihan entering the college. 40 Gardaí there too.

2 have been arrested already...

Fun times to follow

100 students would be quite a good turnout for a Monday evening. Although i think that garda figure sounds ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

I went down to Quinn at half six and no-one as there.:confused: So I went home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

33% God wrote: »
    I went down to Quinn at half six and no-one as there.:confused: So I went home.

it was ten to six at the quinn school.

also, there was about 40 guards.

there seemed to be a split in the protesters, between the student union guys and ****in twats rattling the barriers.

pretty good fun i must say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Two arrested at Lenihan protest in UCD
    Monday, 20 October 2008 19:24

Two students have been arrested at UCD for public order offences at a protest as Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan was due to chair a lecture at the college.

The number of students involved in the protest reached about 150.

More than 20 garda are on duty as well as a number of private security officers.
    Advertisement

Students blocked the vehicle access to the building where Mr Lenihan is due to attend the function.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1020/ucd.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

it was ten to six at the quinn school.

also, there was about 40 guards.

there seemed to be a split in the protesters, between the student union guys and ****in twats rattling the barriers.

pretty good fun i must say!!
    :( The labour youth text I got said half six

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

33% God wrote: »
    :( The labour youth text I got said half six
    Sounds like a deliberate ploy to misdirect bodies!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Two arrested at Lenihan protest in UCD
    Monday, 20 October 2008 19:24

Two students have been arrested at UCD for public order offences at a protest as Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan was due to chair a lecture at the college.

The number of students involved in the protest reached about 150.

More than 20 garda are on duty as well as a number of private security officers.
    Advertisement

Students blocked the vehicle access to the building where Mr Lenihan is due to attend the function.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1020/ucd.html

Anyone know why they were arrested?

As in... what they were doing?

Anyone know why they were arrested?

As in... what they were doing?

well everyone was running to sit down in front of the entrance... the guards seemed to drag them away as they were there first. Nothing different to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

150 out of 22,500 isn't a bad turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

There were some ignorant cnuts outside the library with a megaphone earlier.

If you long haired, time wasting lefty fckers want to play protester it would kindly appreciated to do it quietly, and certainly not where students are trying to study. An absolute, total disgrace and doubly so that "Desperate" Dan O' Neill, an elected SU officer and his Labour Youth cronies were involved in such a disruption of student activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Snakes

Without a doubt the worst protest/blockade i've ever seen! The fact that Minister Lenihan strolled into the building no problem meant the 'blockade' part of it was a complete and utter failure!
    Whoever allowed the lads who were on the microphone to use them should be committed, i've seen more enthusiasm whipped up at schoolgirl hockey matches. I've also seen more inventive chants used at primary school matches, to call them unimaginative and infantile would be to insult 2 year olds everywhere.
    The only thing this 'blockade' achieved was to provide the guards and security present with a good laugh, along with a nice videotape to show everyone back at the station. Pathetic!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 PatRabbite4life

mloc wrote: »
    There were some ignorant cnuts outside the library with a megaphone earlier.

If you long haired, time wasting lefty fckers want to play protester it would kindly appreciated to do it quietly, and certainly not where students are trying to study. An absolute, total disgrace and doubly so that "Desperate" Dan O' Neill, an elected SU officer and his Labour Youth cronies were involved in such a disruption of student activities.

Lol, let other ppl do your dirty work whilst you study. Were not protesting for just us you know, i'm out oof college in a few months anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 PatRabbite4life

Also LOL at the 9 o clock news on RTE 1, i got on TV.

Id tune into Q+A tonight as well, there's a chance Mr Casey may bring up the issue if he gets enough 'dutch courage'.

Snakes wrote: »
    Without a doubt the worst protest/blockade i've ever seen! The fact that Minister Lenihan strolled into the building no problem meant the 'blockade' part of it was a complete and utter failure!
    Whoever allowed the lads who were on the microphone to use them should be committed, i've seen more enthusiasm whipped up at schoolgirl hockey matches. I've also seen more inventive chants used at primary school matches, to call them unimaginative and infantile would be to insult 2 year olds everywhere.
    The only thing this 'blockade' achieved was to provide the guards and security present with a good laugh, along with a nice videotape to show everyone back at the station. Pathetic!!!

out of curiousity... in what context were you present tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Snakes

out of curiousity... in what context were you present tonight?

To see how well organised the protest/blockade was in comparison to previous protests, student or otherwise.

• Advertisement

To see how well organised the protest/blockade was in comparison to previous protests, student or otherwise.

well, a protest critic, now theres a thing.:p

hahaha was it that bad?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I was walking by the Quinn building and I thought the protesters were more like a kid's pantomime.

I'd say the SU should start the cost-cutting themselves by abandoning that idiotic class rep training/pissup weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

It was the best student protest I'Ve ever been on! Fair play to FEE. No TO CUTBACK's, NO TO FEE'S. NO to FIANNA FAIL TD'S!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

ciaranajl wrote:
    I swear if one more student union person comes into my lecture screaming about "we must fight this!", I will throw my laptop at him.

ARGH! One word: Spoiled .

Weh.
    Tom65 wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm not sure about fees. I can see why they could work in theory - people who can afford to pay do pay, thus more money, thus better universities.

Another poster, on a site far far away brought up this concept. Why would wealthy people pay to go to a university ranked 100+ when they could, for the same fee's go to a much better university such as Oxford or Cambridge?
    It's pretty cheap to get to England now by plane, cheaper then getting to Cork by train! As Lemon Sherbert said I'd be outa here

I'd hardly say he strolled in.
    I heard how he got in and I was there when he left. He ran man. Into a car which then sped away faster then any I've seen in ages.

And I thought it was very well done. I got there at 8. The people still there were the people who had protested a lot already and had been since half 5. I thought they were amazing, because I knew some of them, and they were either graduated or final years who would never have this fee's thing affect them. They really just believe in free fee's. And then there's people on this board, who are pure lazy right wing "only care about them selves" wnkers

The SU people on the other hand, had all left for council, which while is "important", could have been changed to allow for such an important protest

Yay to Jen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Any good protest ends up in the pub it seems!

Dave! wrote: »
    Any good protest ends up in the pub it seems!
    Ah dave, Thats not very fair :) If only you'd seen Lenihan scuttling into the lecture thetare you'd be on our side good man!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

At least you guys had fun and managed to go out and get plastered. ^^

I personally believe wholeheartedly that fees should be implemented for those who could afford them, so as to improve the quality of eduaction we can receive in UCD. This would also free up some money for those who can;t afford fees, guarenteeing 3rd level education for those who want it.

I also think that given the massive government deficits (and we're not the only badly governed country with that problem) due to the credit crisis, plenty of facets of society are going to see increased costs or reduced spending. I don't think many people would mind students being shafted a little to protect their own interests. Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

gubbie wrote: »
    The people still there were the people who had protested a lot already ...

they were either graduated or final years who would never have this fee's thing affect them...

And then there's ... pure lazy right wing "only care about them selves" wnkers...

Rise, comrade! Shake off the shackles of our elitist capitalist oppressors!

Tbh, you make it sound like they were the typical rent a mob lefty jackasses that protest at anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Who was the clown with Insomnia coffee mug!

"Tax the rich!!, Down with Fees!!!, Leave me with a few euro for the basics in life like my double caramel mocha skinny latte frappacinos*!!!

protest_211547t.jpg

*May not be a real coffee drink.

Advertisement