Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watna is freaking out

Options
  • 17-10-2008 3:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

ok, to cut a long story short. My resiency application is ready to go in -after a month or two of getting stuff together. The immigration office is 5 minutes from where I work so i was all set to drop it around at lunch time today. I rang immigration NZ today to do a quick check on something and as an aside asked the immigration lady what the current processing times are. The last time I asked it was 20 working days, today she said 9 - 12 months. The reason I'm freaking out is that my WHV runs out in 7 months.

I asked two irish girls in work who said that they were both told a few months for their visas (one was in the wellington office, one was in london) and they both came in 4 weeks. I can only hope they have grossly over exagerated the processing times. I mean it's not the most complicated visa ever.

Any suggestions on what to do if it's not overexaggerated? Do i tell them my current visa runs out in 7 months and ask them to keep that in minf? Do i go home for a few months in 7 months time and wait for it to come in? Is there some kind of bridging visa I can get until a decision is made?

Basically, any advice or words that will stop me panicing are welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Chill out watna!

I would imagine its the same as oz.

Once application is lodged, bridging visa is automatically obtained.

Dont worry about it girl!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Once your application is in you should get what's called a 'bridging visa' which allows you to stay in the country until the main visa is either approved or denied :)

It shouldn't come to that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

First off, don't panic! I know it's not the same country, but my partner visa for Oz was done in about 2-3 weeks after I was told it could take up to six months. I think they tell you the maximum time so that you can't get too pissy if it doesn't come as quickly as you hoped.

I'm pretty sure that once you're in the country, waiting the results of a visa application you can get a bridging visa. I know for the Oz one, if you applied from inside the country you had to still be in the country when a decision was made.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Thanks guys. That's what I wanted to hear! I'm going to check with immigration now just to be sure but I feel calmer already!

(My boss was cracking up laughing at me freaking out whilst offering to do everything she could!)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Watna, as long as you are in the system, you are entitled to keep living here/working here under your old visa conditions. Or so a mate who works in immigration told me. He also said the 9-12 months thing is one of those "underpromise and overdeliver" things, and you should have your visa in a matter of weeks rather than months (assuming all is in order).

• Advertisement

Big hugs guys????:D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,255 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

so would you say this situation has turned your world upside down or rightside up?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnd roll credits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Bad News: There is no such thing as a bridging visa in NZ. If you're visas up and you're waiting on another on. Tough!

Good News: Immigration lady says that for straghtforward cases (which I'm presuming i am seeming as I really am in a relationship with my OH and am already living and working in NZ) it will be a lot less. If it comes to it that it hasn't arrived in 5 months (2 months before my visa expires) i can apply for a work permit through partnership (which will cost me $280) and that comes through much quicker. You're supposed to submit police checks and a medical for that too but because I'll have already submitted those (it's if you have submitted them 24 months prior to your current application) I won't have to do it again. I will, however, have to resubmit all my partnership evidence again. I already have to pay a grand for my residency application. i really don't want to give them more money!

It's not the best situation but at least I won't be deported. Fingers crossed my case is straighforward enough that I get it soon.

Bloody kiwis!

watna wrote: »
    Bad News: There is no such thing as a bridging visa in NZ. If you're visas up and you're waiting on another on. Tough!

Good News: Immigration lady says that for straghtforward cases (which I'm presuming i am seeming as I really am in a relationship with my OH and am already living and working in NZ) it will be a lot less. If it comes to it that it hasn't arrived in 5 months (2 months before my visa expires) i can apply for a work permit through partnership (which will cost me $280) and that comes through much quicker. You're supposed to submit police checks and a medical for that too but because I'll have already submitted those (it's if you have submitted them 24 months prior to your current application) I won't have to do it again. I will, however, have to resubmit all my partnership evidence again. I already have to pay a grand for my residency application. i really don't want to give them more money!

It's not the best situation but at least I won't be deported. Fingers crossed my case is straighforward enough that I get it soon.

Bloody kiwis!

Stupid kiwi bastards!

I got a shock like this myself at one stage.
    Keep on them the whole time, email in and ask about the status of your visa every second day. Keep at the same person and they will rush it through cause they will be sick of listening to you. Seriously!!! Work for me.

Also in oz if you send them in a letter sayin that u need it because (made up rubbish) they will put it to the top of the pile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

alternatively, check out how long it takes for teh christchurch section to process it,a nd send your stuff to me?

Advertisement