Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architecture salaries, Melbourne

Options
  • 17-10-2008 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Well, its time i start applying for work here in Melbourne. Im just curious as to the salary range i should be shooting for. My qualifications + exp are:

- RIBA Architecture Part 2
    - BSc Architectural Technology
    - No post part 2 experience, but i did work for 1 year as a technologist after my part 1.

Im on the working holiday visa but hope to get sponsored for whichever practice i work. I'll also be looking for a staff position rather than doing contract work.

I have a friend who has been working here the last 8 months; he is doing contract work and is on $35/hr (equates to ~$70k i think). He had one year experience, post part II, back in Ireland before getting that job. He has told me that i should be aiming for $50-60k, which i would be happy with. Does this seem like the range i should be aiming for?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

Have you checked out seek.com.au? Might be able to get your answer there. Just a thought. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I have no idea on salary's as such, (apart from IT)
    but as a contractor you should be aiming for about 20-30% higher than if it was a full time job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Seeing as you have no post part 2 experience I'd say 50k rather than 60k would be closer to the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Hey I'm in Perth at the minute. I'm an architectural technologist with 3 years experience back in Ireland. I signed up with a recruitment agency just to get me started as I thought it was my best bet. Ive had a few days temping but was told that architects can make about 40bucks and hour by the boss in the office I was in. A friend of mine is in Brisbane and hes making 32 and hour with a recruitment agency. I suppose it varies, you could land on your feet straight away or hop between jobs for a while, either way the prospects out here are far better than home, well for me anyway.
    Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

writetojd wrote: »
    Hey I'm in Perth at the minute. I'm an architectural technologist with 3 years experience back in Ireland. I signed up with a recruitment agency just to get me started as I thought it was my best bet. Ive had a few days temping but was told that architects can make about 40bucks and hour by the boss in the office I was in. A friend of mine is in Brisbane and hes making 32 and hour with a recruitment agency. I suppose it varies, you could land on your feet straight away or hop between jobs for a while, either way the prospects out here are far better than home, well for me anyway.
    Hope that helps

I’ve got similar experience to you in Ireland and England and might be going to Oz in the New Year what’s the job market like at the moment for technicians are you getting many interviews? And if you don’t mind telling me how much are you expecting / recruitment agency telling you that you should make?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Howya I was working in Melbourne last year in an Architects office earning €35/hr I had been working in Sydney on the same wages in an interior design place. This is the agency that got me the job in Melbourne, they were really helpful and had me a job in about a week of arriving in Melbourne, I had a job before I even had anywhere to live!

http://www.bloomfieldtremayne.com.au/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

http://www.careerone.com.au/media/documents/ConstructionProperty.pdf

THis outlines all sorts of salaries in const field. I have found it accurate also in my instance as a Brizzy based CA / PM.

According to the link grad arch averages about 40-45. That would be fair as any unproven graduate would be lucky to get much more than that.

Doc wrote: »
    I’ve got similar experience to you in Ireland and England and might be going to Oz in the New Year what’s the job market like at the moment for technicians are you getting many interviews? And if you don’t mind telling me how much are you expecting / recruitment agency telling you that you should make?

To be honest I haven't had alot of interviews. With the agency nearly 2 weeks and so far only did a few days temping. Was gonna check out another agency and just looking online for work. Probably get a part time job just to get a few quid in. If I dont get much here though Ill probably just go to brisbane. A mate of mine is there and found work easy enough.
    My wages arent great. I only looked 27 plus super to try and get me into a job. (Super being the compulsory savings plan)Figured if I looked too much I mighnt get work. Planned on looking for more once I got going or if I got sponsored look for more then. Hope that help :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

You should go directly to some companies. If companies get someone through an agency they quite often offer them slightly less as they have to cover the cost of paying the agency. If you go directly they don't have that cost so you can ask for a bit more.

You should go directly to some companies. If companies get someone through an agency they quite often offer them slightly less as they have to cover the cost of paying the agency. If you go directly they don't have that cost so you can ask for a bit more.

But the trouble there is you get stone-walled. Tried a few firms already but most said they wont be hiring until December or January. Gonna keep trying but its just annoying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement