Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any issues with mixing Warm and Cold roof features in an in-rafter insulated roof

• 17-10-2008 8:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

Builder has just mis-read the spec and used 125mm deep rafters instead of 175mm.

The spec called for a warm roof insulation design with 50mm 'overlay' across the outside and 175 between the rafters.

Adding extra insulation as 'overlay' is not an option due to height issues so am looking at either
    1: deepening the rafters inside with a 50 by 50 and use the 175 insulation as planned.
    2: add a 50mm layer of insulation/ possibly as a 62.5mm composite board across the underside.

This latter construction detail is more like cold roof detailing so wonder are there any issues with mixing the two types?
    Thanks

ps any other suggestions welcome also

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Builder has just mis-read the spec and used 125mm deep rafters instead of 175mm.

The spec called for a warm roof insulation design with 50mm 'overlay' across the outside and 175 between the rafters.

Adding extra insulation as 'overlay' is not an option due to height issues so am looking at either
    1: deepening the rafters inside with a 50 by 50 and use the 175 insulation as planned.
    2: add a 50mm layer of insulation/ possibly as a 62.5mm composite board across the underside.

This latter construction detail is more like cold roof detailing so wonder are there any issues with mixing the two types?
    Thanks

ps any other suggestions welcome also

flat roof or pitched?
    deepening the rafters internally wont result in a warm roof construction so you would need to keep a 50mm air gap over the top of the insulation + felt.
    In our climate i always think its a good idea to retain this air gap, because the construction has to be pin point perfect in warm roof construction to avoid rafters decaying....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

I may not have made it clear what the issue is

the detail I wanted was
    Slates
    Battens
    Breathable membrane
    Counter battens
    50mm overlay insulation across top of rafters
    175 rafters c/w 175 insulation in-between
    vapour barrier
    plasterboard

This I believe to be a warm roof construction: if not then....:)

The detail, due to wrong rafter size, I am looking at is

Slates
    Battens
    Breathable membrane
    Counter battens
    125 rafters c/w 125 insulation in-between
    50mm insulation across rafters inside
    vapour barrier
    plasterboard

or

Slates
    Battens
    Breathable membrane
    Counter battens
    125 rafters with 50mm added on underneath c/w 175 insulation in-between
    vapour barrier
    plasterboard

Does this second one not still maintain the warm roof construction, whereas the other one is a mix or warm and cold or am I way off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Carlow what insulations are you intending to use, both over the rafters and between. Because the between rafters insulation is bridged by the timber you may get away with perhaps adding 25mm on the overlay, (I know you think his isn't possible) but you don't say why? a few mm's (25 -50) will not be a major issue with compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Slates

I may not have made it clear what the issue is

the detail I wanted was
    Slates
    Battens
    Breathable membrane
    Counter battens
    175 rafters c/w 175 insulation in-between
    vapour barrier
    plasterboard

This I believe to be a warm roof construction: if not then....:)

The detail, due to wrong rafter size, I am looking at is

Slates
    Battens
    Breathable membrane
    Counter battens
    125 rafters c/w 125 insulation in-between
    50mm insulation across rafters inside
    vapour barrier
    plasterboard

Your roof build up should read
    Slates
    Battens
    Counterbattens (fixed with structural fixings ,Helifix, through the rigid insulation into the rafters)
    Breather membrane (IAB approved)
    Rigid insulation over rafters
    Insulation between rafters
    Vapour barrier
    Plasterboard
    internal finish

Bit of a pain in the behind to construct

Easier construction (robust detail)

Slates
    Battens
    Counterbattens
    Breather Membrane
    Rafters infilled with insulation
    Composit insulation/plasterboard with integrated vapour control to underside of rafters
    Internal finish

In both details the BM goes between the counterbatten and insulation
    and not the batten and counterbatten

Thanks quys:
    re the extra on the outside, there are window sills just above the top of the A's which limit the scope as the slope is tight enough as is.

Re the position of the breather membrane, the installation instructions for the product show it between the two battens. will PM the details
    I appreciate the HB manual shows it otherwise.:)

• Advertisement

Thanks quys:
    re the extra on the outside, there are window sills just above the top of the A's which limit the scope as the slope is tight enough as is.

Re the position of the breather membrane, the installation instructions for the product show it between the two battens. will PM the details
    I appreciate the HB manual shows it otherwise.:)
    Get a look at the BM Iab cert, no counterbattened BM on the Irish market works (I stand to be corrected) as a non-vented roof with the BM between the batten and Cbatten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Slates is correct about the counter batten, the breather felt is under the counter batten.
    (Its called a "counter batten" because it is positioned counter or perpendicular to the slate batten) The counter batten maintains air flow to the underside of the slate etc.

What exactly is the problem you are refering too ? - window sills just above the top of the A's.

All BM manufatureres usually show counter batten in there literature. I would avoid mixing types - use one contruction or the other.

Thanks for replies, much appreciated

http://www.nsai.ie/modules/certificates/uploads/pdf/IAB040157.pdf

shows, on page 3, in figure 3 and 4 the setup for sealed and vented roofs.

Slates is right for unvented/sealed roofs. Batten/counter-batten/ taut BM

for vented: batten/ draped BM/counter-batten

In relation to the window sills: the roof in question is an extension to an existing dwelling where the second story windowsills limit the height of the A roof and to achieve a decent slope the A is already at the limit vis-avis the clear height to underside of sill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Thanks for replies, much appreciated

http://www.nsai.ie/modules/certificates/uploads/pdf/IAB040157.pdf

shows, on page 3, in figure 3 and 4 the setup for sealed and vented roofs.

Slates is right for unvented/sealed roofs. Batten/counter-batten/ taut BM

for vented: batten/ draped BM/counter-batten

In relation to the window sills: the roof in question is an extension to an existing dwelling where the second story windowsills limit the height of the A roof and to achieve a decent slope the A is already at the limit vis-avis the clear height to underside of sill

Would you not consider moving the sill and replacing window.

If the insulation is outside timber no need to ventilate
    if the insulation is inside timber you require min 50mm ventilation (interstatial condensation forms within the timber as warm air passes through the rafter from the warm inside face to the cold outside face) no matter where the breather membrane is placed. the ventilation removes this

Thanks for all the answers; much appreciated.

Following on, the spec for the job as priced by the builder states that all current regs to be met.

The sloped ceiling finish is 18/20mm TGV timber board.

Builder of opinion that this will meet fire regs and that no need for plasterboard over the vapour barrier. The HB manual does not specifically cater for this design.

Would welcome any insights: my instinct is to put on the plaster board.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

I have a non-vented warmroof with the following build-up

Slates
    Battens
    Counterbattens
    Breathermembrane
    222x47mm rafters at 400 centres

I am going to full fill the rafters with a combination of glassfibre and quinntherm

Which of the following options would be better

1, glass fibre against the Breather Membrane with 100mm quinntherm underneath the glass fibre flush with the underside of the rafters.
    then a vapour check followed by 12.5x38mm plaster/laminate board

2, 100mm quinntherm against the BM with the glass fibre flush with the underside of the rafters,then a vapour check followed by 12.5x38mm plaster/laminate board

From a breathability stance does it matter what way it is done? Will the glass fibre and quinntherm give the same u-value what ever the arrangement?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Slates wrote: »
    I have a non-vented warmroof with the following build-up

Slates
    Battens
    Counterbattens
    Breathermembrane
    222x47mm rafters at 400 centres

I am going to full fill the rafters with a combination of glassfibre and quinntherm

Which of the following options would be better

1, glass fibre against the Breather Membrane with 100mm quinntherm underneath the glass fibre flush with the underside of the rafters.
    then a vapour check followed by 12.5x38mm plaster/laminate board

2, 100mm quinntherm against the BM with the glass fibre flush with the underside of the rafters,then a vapour check followed by 12.5x38mm plaster/laminate board

From a breathability stance does it matter what way it is done?

Will the glass fibre and quinntherm give the same u-value what ever the arrangement?

If you use quinntherm PU insulation then your construction isnt breathable. Therefore you need to ensure that your vapour check layer is absolutely perfectly sealed at every junction. Worst case senario would be weretheres a leak in the VC allowing moisture / vapour into the roof construction. This moisture is drawn to the external due to pressure differentials..... It cannot pass through the PU board so its only outlet is through the timber joists... This leads to very serious problems of decay /rot and loss of structural integrity..

Therefore my opinion would be either to make a construction completely breathable, or completely non-breathable. You get problems when you have a mixture of both.

Advertisement