Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find duplicate rows, SQL Server

Options
  • 17-10-2008 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

I have a table with the following design

TransactionNum int
    Membernum int
    Transactiondate smalldatetime
    Transactionamt money
    Currency nvarchar
    TransactionType nvarchar
    TransactionMethod nvarchar
    Transactionref ntext

I'm looking to find all duplicate rows using this:
    [PHP]SELECT MemberNum, TransactionDate, TransactionAmt, Currency, TransactionType, TransactionMethod, TransactionRef, COUNT(MemberNum) AS Expr1,
    COUNT(TransactionDate) AS Expr2, COUNT(TransactionAmt) AS Expr3, COUNT(Currency) AS Expr4, COUNT(TransactionType) AS Expr5,
    COUNT(TransactionMethod) AS Expr6, COUNT(TransactionRef) AS Expr7
    FROM TblPayment
    GROUP BY MemberNum, TransactionDate, TransactionAmt, Currency, TransactionType, TransactionMethod, TransactionRef
    HAVING (COUNT(MemberNum) > 1) AND (COUNT(TransactionDate) > 1) AND (COUNT(TransactionAmt) > 1) AND (COUNT(Currency) > 1) AND
    (COUNT(TransactionType) > 1) AND (COUNT(TransactionMethod) > 1) AND (COUNT(TransactionRef) > 1)[/PHP]

(TransactionNum is unique so I don't compare it)

But when I run this I get
    "The text, ntext, and image data types cannot be compared or sorted, except when using IS NULL or LIKE operator."

I assume this is against the TransactionRef column but how do I get around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Change your equals operator to like and leave out the % to have it do an expensive exact match!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Ginger wrote: »
    Change your equals operator to like and leave out the % to have it do an expensive exact match!
    What equals operator?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Sorry I misread your query

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

GROUP BY is a sorting feature, thus, it can not be used with nText.

Solutions include converting it to a VARCHAR instead either in your schema or using the cast function

CAST(Transactionref as varchar(500))

EDIT:
    Or just don't group by that field =)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

The problem is you can not group on ntext.

How long is the data in TransactionRef? If its over the limit for (n)varchar then I would be wondering what sort of reference it is.

If the TransactionRef holds something below the datatype limits for (n)varchar you could just try converting it for the query in question.

Also your query could be a lot neater.... you dont need to count every field! Once you have the rows grouped on every field you just need to check the count on 1 field!
    SELECT
    	MemberNum, 
    	TransactionDate, 
    	TransactionAmt, 
    	Currency, 
    	TransactionType, 
    	TransactionMethod, 
    	convert(nvarchar,TransactionRef), 
    	COUNT(MemberNum) AS Rows
    FROM
    	TblPayment 
    GROUP BY