Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallen leaves - can anyone recommend a good blower/vacuum

Options
  • 17-10-2008 8:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

The trees around my property have now shed their leaves (there's a huge amount here from about 40 Poplars and oak trees) and I really can't face another couple of weekends raking them up as I've done for the past few years. Can anyone recommend a good garden blower or a vacuum that I could use to gather them up before they start to kill off the grass underneath them.

Also please let me know what you think of the merits of a petrol v an electric model.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't rate vacuums as the smallest pebble being sucked up usually results in having to replace the fan.
    Petrol blower is your best bet, electric is anaemic.
    Brands: Shindaiwa is the best IMO, Stihl are good but stihl too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I bought a ryobi petrol model last year and have found it less than satisfactory. I found it to be incredibly noisy, it is cumbersome when the bag starts to get full and even though it has a shoulder strap, I find it uncomfortable to use. It sucks and shreds leaves and also has a blow function. Fine on the dry stuff but not so great on wet leaves.

I used it a good bit last autumn, then hung it up over the summer. When I took it down again, I had difficulty starting it. Looked at the ryobi manual and went online for some advice - there was a lot of negative feedback - most of it about the machines seizing over the summer. Anyway I decided to give it some brute force, and eventually got it started - but the racket was awful and it wasn't gathering any leaves. Switched it off and when I took the bag off and looked inside the the fan housing, there was a big chunk of clay - I took this out and found several more pieces, eventually enough to form a ring.

I think what happened is as the wet leaves are shredded, they lay down a layer of mulch around the inside of the fan housing - a bit like the build up of grass clippings on the underside of the mower - over the summer this layer dried out and shrunk - then when I tried to turn the motor on, it jambed the fan. I'm not sure how much damage it did to the fan - it still sucks leaves.

With hindsight, I wouldn't bother one. For leaves on the lawn, I use the mower, with the blade set high - achieves the same result with a lot less hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I tried the "use the lawnmower" trick last years and just turned 1 tonne of big leaves into 5 tonnes of little leaves that were a lot hardder to rake up. Is it possible to replace my trees with artificial ones?:D I know I could go for evergreens but they're not to my taste

I wouldn't really recommend Ryobi petrol equipment, it is fine if maintained or used on a regular basis, but as you found out it tends to sieze up if not used regularly.
    Chinese stuff is only OK, you get what you pay for.
    Like I say a backpack blower made by a reputable company is the only way to go.
    They are all noisy so make sure you get some earmuffs as well!

I bought a Ryobi petrol strimmer 2 years ago and it died after 4 months of use. Carbuerettor went on it and after it was replaced, the choke went, then the internal spindle went, then the strimmer head broke, then the pull cord snapped then the.................... you get the picture.

I am the type of guy who looks after equipment, i.e. clean it regularly but Ryobi are cheap sh!te that no amount of looking after will keep it in working order. Buyt cheap, spend lots on repairs.

• Advertisement

I am the type of guy who looks after equipment, i.e. clean it regularly but Ryobi are cheap sh!te that no amount of looking after will keep it in working order. Buyt cheap, spend lots on repairs.

Well you sound like you should by a shindaiwa blower, for the money I don't think you can beat the quality.
    Not the biggest name in garden tools but some of the best engineered and most reliable equipment.
    In the US most professional garden crews run Shindaiwa because it starts very easy and lasts a long time.
    Thats all that matters when you use it for a living.
    I don't sell them in case you are wondering, but 2 stroke stuff is a kiind of hobby for me, Chainsaws, Strimmers etc etc.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Well you sound like you should by a shindaiwa blower, for the money I don't think you can beat the quality.
    Not the biggest name in garden tools but some of the best engineered and most reliable equipment.
    In the US most professional garden crews run Shindaiwa because it starts very easy and lasts a long time.
    Thats all that matters when you use it for a living.
    I don't sell them in case you are wondering, but 2 stroke stuff is a kiind of hobby for me, Chainsaws, Strimmers etc etc.

Any idea where I'd get my hands on one as my local garden equipment suppliers (i.e. the ones that sell quality gear as opposed to the Woodies/B & Q rubbish) don't stock that brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭niall_walsh

I work in the landscaping industry and have used stihl blowers for over 10 years......never had a problem if regularly serviced....Unbeatable in my opinion...well worth the money for power and reliability. Can also be used right throughout the year not just autumn to keep paths/patios etc spotless.

Advertisement