Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Al Smith Dinner speeches

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ah, just saw this in my subscribed threads and was thinking 'I didn't start that... who the f*ck is Al Smith..? :confused:'

:D

Dave! wrote: »
    Ah, just saw this in my subscribed threads and was thinking 'I didn't start that... who the f*ck is Al Smith..? :confused:'

:D

I merged your post into my thread and it had an earlier timestamp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

This is exactly how the campaign should of been run to begin with. Both of them poking fun but discuss serious issues. I think if McCain had shown this side of him instead of all the attacks the polls would be very different.

Hobbes wrote: »
    This is exactly how the campaign should of been run to begin with. Both of them poking fun but discuss serious issues. I think if McCain had shown this side of him instead of all the attacks the polls would be very different.

I do love it but I don't think they could run it at that level of comedy and be taken seriously.

McCain gets a lot of kudos from me there, great sense of humour.

Obama's delivery was fantastic, even when he starts laughing at his own jokes - infectious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭yaynay

Trojan wrote: »
    I do love it but I don't think they could run it at that level of comedy and be taken seriously.

Obama's delivery was fantastic, even when he starts laughing at his own jokes - infectious.

Agree completely on both McCain and Obama.

McCain actually surprised me with his speech, in that he looked a lot less awkward and much more relaxed than he has done in previous speeches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Not really O.T.

Al Smith was the first Irish American to run for the presidency. A remarkable guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 40,175 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

McCains build up for Obamas speech was hilarious. "Get ready for the funniest 15 minutes of yer lives".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Obama's was hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Both very good :D

i lol'd more at McCain's speech though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Good stuff. McCain had some crackers in there; Obama too, but not as much.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Trojan wrote: »

He's been poking fun at himself for some time now. His appearances on SNL were properly self-depreciating and yet on-topic.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

mccain carries it off even when mentioning acorn :/ but remember when bush did a similar speech with jokes about finding wmd, so not funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ooh obama not so funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Lawlord007

Nice to see McCain finally getting the better of Obama at something.

A couple of cringeworthy moments from Obama, such as comparing the organisers of the dinner to AIG execs. Ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Cadet?

Absolutely brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Absolutely hilarious! I laughed at both of them, but especially at McCain. His whole demeanor was humorous. He appears very much at home with this sort of thing. He seemed to be really enjoying himself. Hillary really got a fit of the giggles at what he said. I'd like to see more of this. It makes a welcome change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Just watched them. Thoroughly enjoyed that I must saw.

Good work Trojan, you're earning your Mod stars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement