Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vlookup Excel

• 17-10-2008 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

I am trying to do a vlookup in excel 2008 from one sheet to another and I keep getting #N/A and it is doing my head in as I know there is a qty there to be looked up.

=VLOOKUP(A2:A20755,Table_Query_from_EOY20083,1,1)

The above in the fuction agrument.
    Do I have to enter an absolute cell reference?
    If I do where do I put them?

I know its $ sign between the cell reference but is it before the letter or number?

Really appreciate the help if anyone can help me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Is this on excel 2008 for Mac? or excel 2007 for Windows

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the dollar sign locks the row / colum number when you copy cells

so if you have $a1 in a forumal in a cell and copy it then all the copies will point to column a and the row number will be relative.
    for a$1 the copies will lock at row1 and the column will be realtive
    $a$1 means all the copies will look at cell a1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

dollydrops wrote: »
    I am trying to do a vlookup in excel 2008 from one sheet to another and I keep getting #N/A and it is doing my head in as I know there is a qty there to be looked up.

=VLOOKUP(A2:A20755,Table_Query_from_EOY20083,1,1)

The above in the fuction agrument.
    Do I have to enter an absolute cell reference?
    If I do where do I put them?

I know its $ sign between the cell reference but is it before the letter or number?

Really appreciate the help if anyone can help me!

You query seems badly flawed to me? vLookup is like using a phone book via indexing. You look up the name McGee and read to the left.

You have product A in your NEW spread sheet. Product A is also in the other sheet with the information you want, a few cells over.

It should be in lay mans terms vlookup(Cell containing Product A in NEW, in the sheeting with the info i need Select the columns left to right with A being in the first column, return column 6 there E.G price,false as it has to be an exact match)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Try sorting the values in the lookup table. I had a similar issue, I was getting the N/A result. I sorted the table I was looking up alphabetically and it solved the problem.

By default, functions that look up information in tables must be sorted in ascending order. However, the VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP worksheet functions contain a range_lookup argument (argument: The values that a function uses to perform operations or calculations. The type of argument a function uses is specific to the function. Common arguments that are used within functions include numbers, text, cell references, and names.) that instructs the function to find an exact match even if the table is not sorted. To find an exact match, set the range_lookup argument to FALSE.

The MATCH worksheet function contains a match_type argument that specifies the order the list must be sorted in to find a match. If the function cannot find a match, try changing the match_type argument. To find an exact match, set the match_type argument to 0.

Advertisement