Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone 2G 2.1 Update Question?

• 17-10-2008 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭

I've just got my hands on an unlocked and jailbroken 2G iphone, everthing workd fine, mobile web, calls etc on 02..

I've plugged it into my laptop and it's asking me to update to 2.1 version.....

Does anyone know if this will relock the iphone to the origianl network (AT&T). Are there any dangers of updating the software.....?

tks
    DM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭rvd156

DON'T UPGRADE....DON'T UPGRADE.....

It will lock it....

Unless you can unlock it urself...or pay someone to unlock it.....

But otherwise....

Leave it alone....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

rvd156 wrote: »
    DON'T UPGRADE....DON'T UPGRADE.....

It will lock it....

Unless you can unlock it urself...or pay someone to unlock it.....

But otherwise....

Leave it alone....

Thanks Man, I was about to hit the button........feckin Apple eh?

I'm struggling to figure out how to get my tunes from itunes to the phone.......

Come back LG Viewty all is forgiven....

Yeah tell me about it bud...

I upgraded mine and it feckin locked...

Had to pay someone €70 to unlock it...

I love me iPhone though....

You have to create a folder in your iTunes and then drag and drop all the songs you want into that folder then sync the iphone with that folder...

For some reason it won't directly let you pick songs from the library....

Apple never do things by halfs...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Actually you can upgrade, but first - make your own custome Firmware to restore with.

http://www.iphone-hacks.com/tag/quickpwn/ - a guide on how to jailbreak your 2G.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ - the creators of the original Jailbreak and still going strong with this one.

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/061-5198.20080909.K3294/iPhone1,2_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw - the link to the 2.1 software download.

And he's what Bootneuter looks like, it's available to download in Cydia.

sgold_bootrom_jpg.png

You have to create a folder in your iTunes and then drag and drop all the songs you want into that folder then sync the iphone with that folder...

You could have easily done it for free yourself I'm afraid, I would have done it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Em, have you by any chance read the 1st Gen iPhone thread on this very forum? You paid €70 for something that takes all of 5 minutes and is well documented?

Plus, I think you may have your facts a little wrong on the whole iTunes/folder requirement. I never had to do that on my unlocked/jailbroken 1st Gen iPhone. I just sync directly from iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Yes it will re-lock it if you update.

But you can unlock it with the help of this site here

Good luck

Thanks must look into doing that later today...

I'm now getting a messge from itunes to update my carrier setting, would I like to do that?

Thanks must look into doing that later today...

I'm now getting a messge from itunes to update my carrier setting, would I like to do that?
    I'm with Meteor and it comes up as well, it's ok to click yes.

To change the setting to stop that message, do the following...

iTunes > Edit > Preferences > Tick "Check for updates automatically"

yea i read all of that stuff for weeks...

downloaded loads of stuff and I couldn't unlock it...

So I got so pissed off that I just paid someone to unlock it...

I know it's stupid but I just wanted my phone back...:(

• Advertisement

Username! wrote: »
    You could have easily done it for free yourself I'm afraid, I would have done it for you.

Thanks dude....

Next time I update I will be onto you to unlock it....:D

EDIT: DRUNKMONKEY Sorry for giving you wrong info...:o

I'm getting an education here:D

Yea it's syncing my itunes with the iphone now, didn't need to create any folder...see screen grab...

That works if you want to sync all your songs...

But don't you have to create a folder if you want to sync just some of your songs??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

That works if you want to sync all your songs...

But don't you have to create a folder if you want to sync just some of your songs??

Hint: There's a little tick-box beside each song/video/picture.

Yeah I know that but its pretty much the same....

Will use the tick function more often now...:D

Lads while I have ye there, how do you bring up the full screen keboard when sending a text, does the 2G iphone allow you to do that?

Also when backing up the phone before the update, shoud I be doing it on a mac or vista machine, does it make a difference, i'm afraid to plug it into my imac..

thanks

Lads while I have ye there, how do you bring up the full screen keboard when sending a text, does the 2G iphone allow you to do that?

Also when backing up the phone before the update, shoud I be doing it on a mac or vista machine, does it make a difference, i'm afraid to plug it into my imac..

thanks
    You can't do that - only with Safari is that possible.

Although there are new applications in the App Store that allow full screen emails.

Username! wrote: »
    Actually you can upgrade, but first - make your own custome Firmware to restore with.

http://www.iphone-hacks.com/tag/quickpwn/ - a guide on how to jailbreak your 2G.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ - the creators of the original Jailbreak and still going strong with this one.

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/061-5198.20080909.K3294/iPhone1,2_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw - the link to the 2.1 software download.

And he's what Bootneuter looks like, it's available to download in Cydia.

sgold_bootrom_jpg.png

Hi Unsername, could you abc it for me....i'm not sure what way to go about it.....what do you need to create your own firmware....I think the iphone I have is Jailbroken already (the guy I bought it off said it was) How do I know? A pinapple comes on when I swith on the phone (is that it?)

sorry for being a dumbo.....:o

tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

A pinapple comes on when I swith on the phone (is that it?)

The pineapple logo is indeed a sign that the phone has been jailbroken/unlocked with QuickPwn/Pwnage before.

As for how to create the custom firmware, it is a lot easier than you might think. Just take a look at the link below.

You should not upgrade your firmware until you know that Pwnage/QuickPwn has been updated to handle it - simply put, every single firmware update from Apple will re-lock the phone. However, the jailbreaking apps are updated very quickly, usually a few days after a firmware is released. The latest available firmware, 2.1, can be unlocked/jailbroken just fine so ideally you should be on that, as it fixes a number of issues.

As for using QuickPwn, it's a point-and-click process:

http://theiphoneproject.org/index.php/faq/32-languages/109-quickpwn-windows-guide

Edit: Note that link above only discusses up to FW 2.0.2 but QuickPwn has been updated to handle 2.1 - the process is the same for 2.1, as long as you get the new version of QuickPwn and the 2.1 FW - all that is outlined in the links Username! provided. The link above just shows you the process step-by-step.

I use Pwnage on a Mac (which QuickPwn is based on) and have had no issues with all the 2.x firmware releases.

Advertisement