Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Announce Mobile Broadband Trial

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Anybody hear anything on the e50 credit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

No nothing here yet. But once i do i'm switching to billpay lite and getting 5 free months!!! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Haha.. Good idea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭CRAIG07

hey guys

any idea when they will launch in limerick ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Quick question. If I do decide to continue using the modem now after february, I can switch it to prepay and just use it the odd day I'm out and about right? 'Cos at the moment I hardly use 3 euro worth per month let alone 30.

Also, when are they gonna ring to ask are we keeping it on?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Anybody hear anything on the e50 credit?

still waiting on some info on this too.
    i will ring customer care this afternoon and see what they say.

(will post up what they tell me.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kceire wrote: »
    still waiting on some info on this too.
    i will ring customer care this afternoon and see what they say.

(will post up what they tell me.)

following on from this post, i rang customer care and was told the following :

the free credit will be rolled out after the 1st March and to ring back after the 1st March for further info.

the free credit will be credited to your mobile phone in th form of call credit, you cannot use it towards an upgrade or get physical cash in hand.

hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i should probably start a new thread for this but i can't fully disclose all info yet as it's a big secret, so i'll just lob what i can in here.

Meteor MBB launches in Dublin and Cork City on Thursday 26th Feb. Pre-pay and post-pay will be available from launch. You'll have to check the coverage maps in store for your own location but there will be guaranteed 2mb indoor coverage in most places (coverage map is constantly improving and there's another network upgrade due in April)

Prices??????

That's the bit i can't divulge just yet as apparently this roll out is being keenly followed by the competition. What i will say is that they're good and the best in the market to date (when the launch date comes by, obviously:P)

That's about all i can say, this line my be tapped. . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

theteal wrote: »
    i should probably start a new thread for this but i can't fully disclose all info yet as it's a big secret, so i'll just lob what i can in here.

Meteor MBB launches in Dublin and Cork City on Thursday 26th Feb. Pre-pay and post-pay will be available from launch. You'll have to check the coverage maps in store for your own location but there will be guaranteed 2mb indoor coverage in most places (coverage map is constantly improving and there's another network upgrade due in April)

Prices??????

That's the bit i can't divulge just yet as apparently this roll out is being keenly followed by the competition. What i will say is that they're good and the best in the market to date (when the launch date comes by, obviously:P)

theteal, you're the best. Daryl from O2, are you watching. This is how you titillate the boardsies with lovely scoops.
    Really really hope they match 3 at 20/month.

long_b wrote: »
    theteal, you're the best. Darly from O2, are you watching. This is how you titillate the boardsies with lovely scoops.
    Really really hope they match 3 at 20/month.

would you be disappointed if we beat their prices? :cool:

• Advertisement

would you be disappointed if we beat their prices? :cool:

Thanks for that - now the other passangers on the train must think I'm watching something naughty I'm smiling so much.

"I would LOVE it if we beat them"
    Err, ye beat them.
    Someone beat them.
    They got bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Prices??????

Can you confirm that you're not going to get into trouble for releasing these details?

MiCr0 wrote: »
    Can you confirm that you're not going to get into trouble for releasing these details?

Got a call from Meteor Customer Service - €20 a month for 5GB or €3 per day.

3 a quid a day would suit me down to the ground. I only use it a few times a month when I'm away from wifi/on public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

So far this looks great, I think it could be an o2 beater!:D

long_b wrote: »
    Got a call from Meteor Customer Service - €20 a month for 5GB or €3 per day.

so much for thursdays secret guerilla attack on the MBB market. we're told to guard it with our life to keep our advantage over the big boys (we'll see how long before they try and price match!) but CC are given the green light to declare war

just a note long_b, that that's just pre pricing. modem is €79.

post price is better but i'm sure CC will have informed a boardie of this before too long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

Doesn't sound like a great deal to me meteor coverage is low they should have reflected that in the price. It will take them time to get the coverage but we are meant to pay the same as 3 with 87% population coverage ??

20Euro for 5GB doesn't match 3's 20 euro for 15GB and they have 87% population coverage.

I know all the details haven't come out and the devil is in the detail. Maybe this is for 30days contract and would be in line with the 02 deal.

I just hope that meteor will like it use to give a great deal to it's customers

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like a great deal to me meteor coverage is low they should have reflected that in the price. It will take them time to get the coverage but we are meant to pay the same as 3 with 87% population coverage ??

what kind of speeds are those 87% getting? there are seriously high expectations of this service. i've been playing with the dongle for the last few days in different parts of dublin and consistantly pulling in 2.5 - 3 meg on average
    Pyro Boy wrote: »
    20Euro for 5GB doesn't match 3's 20 euro for 15GB and they have 87% population coverage.

i'll stress that this is the prepay price, it's €19.99 for the 30 day pass. postpay is cheaper, not ground breakingly cheaper but cheaper nonetheless.

5gb doesn't strike me as much either but there has been extensive market research done showing that average internet usage is less than 2gb so that's where that limit is coming from - well at least that's the spiel we received when we put forward a similar question

i've been playing with the dongle for the last few days in different parts of dublin and consistantly pulling in 2.5 - 3 meg on average

Don't know if it uses the same "connection stuff" but my HSDPA phone is pulling 50 - 100 KB around Dublin city center.
    Anyway - still better than the yeuch network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Its very easy to get those speeds in dublin city when there is hardly anyone using the network for mobile broadband. 3 got those speeds consistantly when they launched their broadband service. If the prices are better than the other networks them will meteor not clog up their network with broadband customers. I see a meteor mega thread on the horizon. As far as pricing goes the prepay price does not match 3 3pay price, will meteor also give better value than 15gb for €19.99 pm on bill like 3 do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Pricing quoted here doesn't really impress me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Arguably, Meteor have 99% coverage or whatever...Just because you don't have HSPDA doesn't mean you can't access the net...and considering how congested Three's network is this could be on a par if not better in alot of areas...Really though I don't know but it'll be interesting and I may just give this a test when it's launched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Getting our credit tomorrow! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Walkman wrote: »
    Its very easy to get those speeds in dublin city when there is hardly anyone using the network for mobile broadband. 3 got those speeds consistantly when they launched their broadband service. If the prices are better than the other networks them will meteor not clog up their network with broadband customers. I see a meteor mega thread on the horizon. As far as pricing goes the prepay price does not match 3 3pay price, will meteor also give better value than 15gb for €19.99 pm on bill like 3 do?

It comes down to do you really need 15gb and do the networks really want people who use that much to be on their network? To be honest, 2gb is plenty for web browsing, some music (iTunes), and general usage. It's not designed to replace fixed line broadband as such.

Got a call there. It's being launched tomorrow.
    FYI Billpay price is 16.99 a month capped at 5gb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

5gb doesn't strike me as much either but there has been extensive market research done showing that average internet usage is less than 2gb so that's where that limit is coming from - well at least that's the spiel we received when we put forward a similar question

that doesn't make much sense to me tbh. they say most people don't need any more than 2gb so 5gb should be fine but what about the ones who do need more than 5gb? the ones who only need 2gb can continue on happily using their 2gb whether the limit is 5gb or 50gb.

imo there's no point launching the service if the download limit is less than the competitors

New software for the modems too apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

Got a call there. It's being launched tomorrow.
    FYI Billpay price is 16.99 a month capped at 5gb.

I think if meteor had matched their competitors at 10GB with this 17 euro price plan this would have been a great deal :)

hopefully they might upgrade this for free later on (like 3 did )

About the software is it available for mac?
    {edit}

Yes checked the website the broadband site is up http://www.meteor.ie/bbtg/

only found one mistake so far ;)
    "And another smart feature is that it takes memory cards, making it an external storage device for up to 4 GB of your documents, music or movies."

8GB memory card is supported :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

shame pay as you go users on three havent had the data allowance increase!

• Advertisement

Anybody going to do the dog on it and sell their modems ? :)

Advertisement