Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Announce Mobile Broadband Trial

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Just got the unit this morning. Very nice little thing. Any idea what the MicroSD slot is for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

feylya wrote: »
    Just got the unit this morning. Very nice little thing. Any idea what the MicroSD slot is for?

So you can use the modem as a memory card reader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Randi

yeah I taught it was going to be free atleast for more than a day, €5 a day with a 500mb cap, wont be doing much downloading, ill try it for awhile at least ill be getting €50 credit back and get to keep the modem, although she never mentioned that I would have to send it back if I didnt want to continue after the trial, what good is the modem anyways if you cant use it for bb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

My modem arrived at lunch today.Speedtest results:

359795347.png

Not too bad but nowhere near 3.6Mbps nevermind 7.2. it will be interesting to see if i can get 7.2Mbps anywhere.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

duffman85 wrote: »
    Not too bad but nowhere near 3.6Mbps nevermind 7.2. it will be interesting to see if i can get 7.2Mbps anywhere.
    They are very good speeds. People don't realise that the 3.6Mbps is shared by everyone in the cell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

jmccrohan wrote: »
    They are very good speeds. People don't realise that the 3.6Mbps is shared by everyone in the cell.

Very good speeds for now. Let's just see what happens when this isn't a trial anymore :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

John_Mc wrote: »
    Very good speeds for now. Let's just see what happens when this isn't a trial anymore :rolleyes:
    Yup... I assume they will purchase more backhaul and increase cell capacity accordingly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

359795347.png

3.6Mbps is on the RF level, the speed speedtest sees will be less that this (due to headers/overhead etc.) - don't know for sure, but maybe 10-15% less. You really need a utility that can see what the modem is getting ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

I never knew that,thanks for the info jmccrohan.:)

I thought it was like wi-fi;as in they quote the max theoretical speed under lab conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

359795347.png

Am I the only person that notices that that latency over 3G is INSANE:eek:?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ProjectC

Adro947 wrote: »

thats the naturew of 3g...unpredictable!!

also ur getting almsot 1mb uplaod..are meteor using high speed uplink??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Bleaugh, went all the way out to dun laoghaire to pick up my modem only to discover that for bill pay customers it's considered a new bill and i need photo id and proof of address (which i obviously didn't have with me). Now i've to go in again tomorrow.

Wowzer!

359703408.png

I think I might be too far away... I don't think I'll be spending €30 for a monthly connection. Might take a drive today and see if I can get a better speed elsewhere...

Do you know if this was over EDGE or GPRS or UMTS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Is it unlimited for bill pay? I'm on PAYG and I was told the cap was 10GB/month.

The one who called me said it was unlimited alright. Not sure if it was just for the trial or all the time

Bleaugh, went all the way out to dun laoghaire to pick up my modem only to discover that for bill pay customers it's considered a new bill and i need photo id and proof of address (which i obviously didn't have with me). Now i've to go in again tomorrow.
    Thats what you get for turning your back on payg :P

A ping of 68ms to the dublin speedtest.net server over 3g is very good.

My 3Mbps fastpath dsl line at home has a ping to the same server of about 41ms.

The speedtest servers are not accurate for ping times anyways, but they are grand for like-for-like comparisons.
    For a proper ping test ping ftp.heanet.ie or tcd.ie (my dsl line gets about 10-12ms)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Do you know if this was over EDGE or GPRS or UMTS?
    The software said it was EDGE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The software said it was EDGE.
    There's your explanation then although I suppose you should have got a little more even outta Edge.

Modem arrived.

And I extracted the drivers from the install files so I dont have to use that horrible software :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Modem arrived.

And I extracted the drivers from the install files so I dont have to use that horrible software :D
    So how is it for you ?

• Advertisement

Modem arrived.

Nice. Post a speedtest if you can :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Did a speedtest in Naas not too bad I suppose. (says 3g/HSPA as connection). Actually better than I got in Tallaght earlier today.

360062397.png

Random wrote: »
    So how is it for you ?
    Nice. Post a speedtest if you can :D.
    I'm waiting till after 12 to get the extra day out of it.

ninjaedit: wait it's 00:03 now.. better get cracking so :)

I'm waiting till after 12 to get the extra day out of it.

Good thinking ;). It's after 12 now. :D

Edit: To acknowledge your edit!

360077165.png

All my pings from CMD are timing out tho. :confused:

The apn is broadband.mymeteor.ie for anyone that wants to use those price plans with their existing hsdpa handsets. (provided that meteor have enabled it at network level. im not sure)

360077165.png

Sweet mother of jaysus!

And what address are you pinging from the command prompt?

And what address are you pinging from the command prompt?
    everything times out.

boards.ie
    tcd.ie
    ftp.heanet.ie
    meteor.ie
    even the meteor nameserver (ns1.meteor.ie or 212.129.64.1).

they must have them blocked.

Oh and that speedtest was done with 42% signal strength.

everything times out.

boards.ie
    tcd.ie
    ftp.heanet.ie
    meteor.ie
    even the meteor nameserver (ns1.meteor.ie or 212.129.64.1).

they must have them blocked.

If a few more people try it out it'll make it easier to form an explanation.
    Oh and that speedtest was done with 42% signal strength.

Not sure if it'd make much of a difference...Just have to wait and see I suppose.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

360077165.png

Ah lads, that upload is faster than my home download !
    Just when I was getting ok about not getting a call yet :(

Advertisement