Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Announce Mobile Broadband Trial

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Here is a more realistic test. The last one was taken late at night in a suburb.

Here is one taken in Dublin city centre during the middle of the day.
    360290828.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Here is a more realistic test. The last one was taken late at night in a suburb.

Here is one taken in Dublin city centre during the middle of the day.
    360290828.png

For the middle of the day on a Saturday that isn't too bad...We'll just have to wait and see how it performs when the network gets more congested though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

It seems to be running everything through a proxy tho. :(

Gonna be a pain when everybody gets confilicting ip addresses etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

When dongle is in the window:
    360337453.png

When about a metre away from the window:
    360339581.png

Hardly reliable and i most certainly won't be paying to use this once my free day is over.

By the way, can anyone tell me, what happens when my pass finishes at midnight, since there is only a cent credit on my account does it just stop working yeah?

For the first test, you are on HSDPA.

For the second you are on EDGE.

You still get EDGE coverage deeper in your house because it uses different frequencies that penetrate further into buildings.

Go have a read of the technologies. They are totally different.

If you use three, you get no EDGE at all to fall back on.

• Advertisement

Here is a csv of the all the speedtest.net tests done by trialists (everyone else on the test can see the speeds done because they all come from the same proxy ip).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

For the first test, you are on HSDPA.

For the second you are on EDGE.

You still get EDGE coverage deeper in your house because it uses different frequencies that penetrate further into buildings.

Go have a read of the technologies. They are totally different.

If you use three, you get no EDGE at all to fall back on.

I know they are total different, i was just pointing it out that the speeds can deteriate very quickly. 3 may not have edge to fall back on but i'd say their bb is better than this.
    Here is a csv of the all the speedtest.net tests done by trialists (everyone else on the test can see the speeds done because they all come from the same proxy ip).

Looks like nobody is getting anywhere close to 7.5Mbps. Looks like they still got alot of work to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

lol, 391 trialists, 3 has over 300000 3G users, can't wait to see what the figures on the spreadsheet look like when Meteor launch their mobile bb to 1 milion customers.....cue network meltdown.....

02 did hit 7.1mb for me once but has slowly went seriously down hill as the amount of users has increased.... I was getting .4kbps the other day....guy in customer care said I needed to do an update on my modem, called me back at 10pm to see if the update had downloaded and if the speed has increased......he put the better speed down to the update...now where did I hear that porky before...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

This is mine
    360492628.png

Does anyone know if I pass my download alloance and there is no credit on the modem or sim or whatever will I be charged and have to pay them whatevers owed?

heymcflyx wrote: »
    This is mine
    360492628.png

Does anyone know if I pass my download alloance and there is no credit on the modem or sim or whatever will I be charged and have to pay them whatevers owed?
    What cell are you on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Im in Finglas?? I Dont know what a cell is. Is it area?

heymcflyx wrote: »
    Im in Finglas?? I Dont know what a cell is. Is it area?
    Yea just what meteor mast you are on. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Yea the offer isnt half as attractive if you are on bill pay. Payg trialists dont even have to test the network. I think ill just keep the modem. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Got mine today. Easy to set up, getting full HSPA ATM in Killester. Good speeds, too.

361049633.png

exactly the same here...

I'm looking at either paying €30 per month for this...

or €20 fixed cost, and €13 per month with O2 for the same thing??

Disappointed with meteor really, cause I've been loyal and happy with them for years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Ok Meteor, you've impressed me.

It's better upload / download than my IBB DSL in Dublin 15.

361509910.png

Also this speed was consistant for the whole 20megs from http://gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk

Shame it's so dam expensive and that is really gonna put me off testing this past the first 24 hours.

There's no traffic on the network, 02 impressed me 2 back in the day?;)

How expensive is it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

There's no traffic on the network, 02 impressed me 2 back in the day?;)

How expensive is it?

exactly wait till everyone is using it same as other providers.

I know tell me about it....

361560892.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I know tell me about it....

361560892.png
    Is that o2's or 3' your using drunkmonkey. 3's isp comes up as naas road too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

OK, has anyone got a call today to sign up today or the boat, she is sailed ?

Walkman wrote: »
    Is that o2's or 3' your using drunkmonkey. 3's isp comes up as naas road too.

3 and i'm on one of the new nokia masts:rolleyes:

Boat is sinking already with these price plans :P

Boat is sinking already with these price plans :P

there was a hole in the boat before it ever left harbour, it was about the same size as the dublin to cork road:P

Mobile broadband on a 2G network, what ever will they think of next..:)

Are you grossly incompetent?

They have a 3g network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Are you grossly incompetent?

They have a 3g network.

...that's getting bigger every day.
    And EDGE isn't that bad for data, I mean if you were using 3 and you went out of coverage you'd have 0 kbps, but if you were using Meteor you'd still be online.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

So wont this just be the 3 mobile broadband thing...'cos that's kinda ****.

They have a 3g network.

and this fella has wings...:D

flying_pig.jpg

tbh, I can't give out, i get edge speeds on 3G..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

3 and i'm on one of the new nokia masts:rolleyes:
    it doesnt matter what mast your on none of the masts have the 7.2 switched on yet only the hardware has been swapped out.

Advertisement