Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Announce Mobile Broadband Trial

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Walkman wrote: »
    it doesnt matter what mast your on none of the masts have the 7.2 switched on yet only the hardware has been swapped out.

they'd want to hurry up about it....let's just hope that it's gonna work:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

There's no traffic on the network, 02 impressed me 2 back in the day?;)

How expensive is it?

This is true but I've not had speeds this good on O2 before and I used to go on about them all the time. Still like them but haven't used their broadband in a while.
    exactly wait till everyone is using it same as other providers.

Hopefully Meteor will learn from others mistakes (we said the same with 3 / O2 though).
    jmccrohan wrote: »
    Boat is sinking already with these price plans :P

They are stinkers. I mean, what??? €4.99 for 500 meg over 24hrs? Crap. Better use the 99c/50meg rates for the occasional user.
    it doesnt matter what mast your on none of the masts have the 7.2 switched on yet only the hardware has been swapped out.

You sure?

p.s. the bloody modems locked to Meteor! :(

Downloading this file again now and the speeds around 70-90KB/sec.
    http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/battlefield1942/modifications/desertcombat/patches/win32/DesertCombat_0.4J_Full_Install.exe

Although speedtest is giving me this
    361641112.png

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Random wrote: »
    They are stinkers. I mean, what??? €4.99 for 500 meg over 24hrs? Crap. Better use the 99c/50meg rates for the occasional user.
    I was on the internet yesterday on laptop on the way down the M1 yesterday and had a rock solid EDGE connection. Funny to think I paid 99c for being on the internet for about an hour. :)

I was on the internet yesterday on laptop on the way down the M1 yesterday and had a rock solid EDGE connection. Funny to think I paid 99c for being on the internet for about an hour. :)
    Man you shouldn't be browsing while driving! You won't be able to concentrate fully on the youtube videos !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Man you shouldn't be browsing while driving! You won't be able to concentrate fully on the youtube videos !
    Dad was driving.. :pac:

Another thing .. the call history shows up the same way the regular stuff does still. A complete pain in the hole to monitor usage etc if you were swapping device between PCs or what not.

DATE TIME 6:11:31 GPRSMBB1DAY € 4.99
    DATE TIME 9:22:11 GPRSMBB1DAY € 0.00

Another thing .. the call history shows up the same way the regular stuff does still. A complete pain in the hole to monitor usage etc if you were swapping device between PCs or what not.

DATE TIME 6:11:31 GPRSMBB1DAY € 4.99
    DATE TIME 9:22:11 GPRSMBB1DAY € 0.00
    I really dont know why they persist with that stupid data counter in hr:mins:sec thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I really dont know why they persist with that stupid data counter in hr:mins:sec thing.

I've got 14 different ways to work it out from 4 different customer care agents so it's about as useful as a big red button !

I doubt it but you won't know until you try! If they call me I'll certainly be complaining about the cost of it though. They're very unlikely to get much more use out of me. Ok, so they're giving me the 50 euro credit at the end .. but I don't have 50 euro right now to pump into it. Will see how it goes anyway I guess :)

• Advertisement

Even if they gave half price packages or something. I can understand they want to prevent potential abuse of the trial or what not .. but come on .. give some incentive (no Meteor, I'm sorry - a free modem is not incentive.. it does help .. but I would have expected that free even just for the duration of the trial regardless)

It doesn't work and then it works if I select it again and then it doesn't work. I've complained to Meteor, they said it's a known problem.

The way i'm thinking now, i dont think ill bother topping up this modem account at all. seems horribly expensive when a 99c/50MB deal would do me perfectly.

The way i'm thinking now, i dont think ill bother topping up this modem account at all. seems horribly expensive when a 99c/50MB deal would do me perfectly.
    Yah I was in work when they rang me and didn't go through it fully on the phone other than to say yes (I'm interested in trialing any new technologys and products always!). DIdn't think it would hit the pocket so hard though .. considering I'm already paying €48 a month for DSL !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

@Random.....ya im positive, most of the 3 network is capable of 7.2 now as most masts have been upgraded but wont be switched on until mid december

Using it a bit more now the last while I've noticed it seems to "burst" a lot. I could open a couple of tabs and they'll all hang .. then they'll all load together.

I find that happens on EDGE as well.

On the software side of things I really don't find it bad at all. Having used 3, Vodafone and O2 I like this one a lot. It doesn't try to be fancy and just works :)

@Random.....ya im positive, most of the 3 network is capable of 7.2 now as most masts have been upgraded but wont be switched on until mid december

Any idea what speed the average user can expect after they hit the on button.....there's no point saying 7.2 when you can't even get 3.6 yet.....could we expect at least 2mb....

• Advertisement

On the software side of things I really don't find it bad at all. Having used 3, Vodafone and O2 I like this one a lot. It doesn't try to be fancy and just works :)
    Really? I'm not a fan at all.
    I forfeited sms support in order to get rid of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

off-topic for one sec, :P
    drunkmonkey check out my rant on the last page of the iphone 3g thread :P:P:P
    page 195 :eek: hahahaha :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Alright lads, only got around to playing with this yoke for the first time in the early hours of this morning (after hours of fiddling with installing windows xp on my eee - still not perfect btw).

I only tried it for a few minutes as I was fairly tired and didn't run a speed test or anything but I was on EDGE and it seemed to be running at a reasonable speed at least.

Don't like the built in software nonsense at all, jmc how'd you extract the drivers to run it seperately?

And that bollocks about sending a text to check your remaining balance, it's not 1997 anymore!!

And I echo the "it's expensive" sentiments. €25 bills a month for 10gb data, plus another tenner a month for the 250mb on my phone. Shouldn't I be able to just pay €25 a month and use broadband.mymeteor.ie as APN on my phone and have the accounts combined somehow to share the 10gb. That's really the only reason I'd consider keeping this up post-trial.

Don't like the built in software nonsense at all, jmc how'd you extract the drivers to run it seperately?
    Eh i extracted the bin file using uniextractor.

Available here if you dont want the hassle.

You can then use this or the windows native client.

............................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,...........................`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_..........._,-%.......`
    rte.ie wrote:
    3 will use its 3G (HSDPA) broadband solution which can reach 7.2 Mbit/s under ideal conditions, but critics say it can be as slow as dial-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

****E !!

It seems to be bursting up to about 600KB/s (according to the software) for 5-6 seconds at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

Just so ya'll know - the E180 works just fine with Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid), either with a pon script or using NM 0.7. May be of interest to net-bookers out there.

For reference, the APN is broadband.mymeteor.ie,

dns servers are:
    primary DNS address 212.129.64.1
    secondary DNS address 212.129.64.2

Also found a simple status monitor at http://oozie.fm.interia.pl/pro/huawei-e220/#STATS - it just reads data from /dev/ttyUSB1

Advertisement