Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Announce Mobile Broadband Trial

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

ozymandius wrote: »
    Just so ya'll know - the E180 works just fine with Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid), either with a pon script or using NM 0.7. May be of interest to net-bookers out there.

For reference, the APN is broadband.mymeteor.ie,

dns servers are:
    primary DNS address 212.129.64.1
    secondary DNS address 212.129.64.2

Also found a simple status monitor at http://oozie.fm.interia.pl/pro/huawei-e220/#STATS - it just reads data from /dev/ttyUSB1

Great, now you tell me, just after I've installed windows on my eee.
    Couldn't get it working on eeebuntu before but I didn't have the above details.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

I'm on PAYG so I get the 24 hours free. I have gotten as far as opening the box but I'm pretty disappointed with this 'trial' that Meteor have offered. I received the modem on Friday and I'm in no rush to try this out now. I'll get around to using my free 24 hours when I really need to but there's no incentive TBH, other than the 50 credit. Totally agree with the point made that you should at least have the option to link the account so that your
    phone and modem are shared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Anyone notice problems with downloading from Rapidshare?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Random wrote: »
    Anyone notice problems with downloading from Rapidshare?
    I didnt try during my 24hr trial, but I imagine the proxy server would cause problems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I didnt try during my 24hr trial, but I imagine the proxy server would cause problems...
    Ah crap yes, that explains it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Got mine on Tuesday but it won't open any internet pages for me. It's receivinga signal alright and lets me connect on the dashboard but when you try and open a webpage it says "Page could not be loaded" Rang tech support three times but they couldn't help me. Tried turning firewalls, security etc off but no joy. Anybody have similar problems?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Pighead wrote: »
    Got mine on Tuesday but it won't open any internet pages for me. It's receivinga signal alright and lets me connect on the dashboard but when you try and open a webpage it says "Page could not be loaded" Rang tech support three times but they couldn't help me. Tried turning firewalls, security etc off but no joy. Anybody have similar problems?
    Not talking in the 3rd person?

Not talking in the 3rd person?
    Nope it's not talking at all. Just a constant light blue light. Should the blue light be talking in the 3rd person? What does it say?

Nope it's not talking at all. Just a constant light blue light. Should the blue light be talking in the 3rd person? What does it say?

Are you loading the web from the 'Internet' button in the dash or going from an already open browser window. And I assume you don't have any other proxies set up in your browser that might be conflicting with Meteor's.

Are you loading the web from the 'Internet' button in the dash or going from an already open browser window. And I assume you don't have any other proxies set up in your browser that might be conflicting with Meteor's.
    Opening web pages using the 'Internet' button on the dash and on the desktop as well. Neither work. I previously had O2 broadband and thought that maybe that was the problem but I uninstalled O2 and it still ain't working.

• Advertisement

Opening web pages using the 'Internet' button on the dash and on the desktop as well. Neither work. I previously had O2 broadband and thought that maybe that was the problem but I uninstalled O2 and it still ain't working.

Not sure why o2 would conflict with it unless the apps were running concurrently.

Maybe try the other method of extracting the drivers and using the open source software jmccrohan listed here.

Are you getting any connection to the web from any application? Try accessing the iTunes store from iTunes or downloading a windows update or something. Could be browser settings that's messing it up.

And why are you referring to yourself as 'I'? Turning over a new leaf to try and get the AH modship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I was having this problem last night, and it refused to connect this morning. Called the tech support and was told they're having some technical issues and they'd be resolved at some point today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

Getting the connect error also. Rang CS and after giving them the error code from the Windows app (Error 619) they acknowledged there is an issue which requires a SIM replacement. They'll get back to me.

Stay tuned ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Getting the connect error also. Rang CS and after giving them the error code from the Windows app (Error 619) they acknowledged there is an issue which requires a SIM replacement. They'll get back to me.

Stay tuned ...
    Got more info than me so. Getting the same error and was told it's a known problem and it's being worked on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

For those of us anxiously waiting to join this currently troubled beta, CS tolds me today that they hadn't contacted all the selected trialists as of yet.
    Don't know how accurate that info is now, but that's what I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I just got contacted. So no worries.

Stay tuned ...

Yep, rang them with the same problem a few minutes ago, couldn't get on all day. They said they need to send me a new sim in the post. Can't believe i'm paying 25 a month for something that isn't working.

Yep, rang them with the same problem a few minutes ago, couldn't get on all day. They said they need to send me a new sim in the post. Can't believe i'm paying 25 a month for something that isn't working.

Same here. Just off the phone to them now. New Sim in the post tomorrow. Disaster so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Has the network been banned off any site because of the proxy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can't believe i'm paying 25 a month for something that isn't working.

how long before it's time to start a.....

Meteor Mobile Broadband -THE PROBLEMS M-M-MEGATHREAD!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Have they not learned from 3's problems with mobile broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This post has been deleted.

I saw it in my crystal ball, I if I ran Meteor i'd stick to talk and text at which there very good at. Leave the Broadband to Eircom. Meteor are playing with fire, they have very happy customers they shouldn't go messing with it...

Ok lads, come on, it's not that bad. Seemed alright before it stopped working for me.

In fairness this is exactly what a trial is for, to iron out the creases.
    It'll be a good service once it's up and running (hopefully).

I saw it in my crystal ball, I if I ran Meteor i'd stick to talk and text at which there very good at. Leave the Broadband to Eircom. Meteor are playing with fire, they have very happy customers they shouldn't go messing with it...

How do you propose getting broadband to customers on the go? Have a phoneline trailing behind them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

How do you propose getting broadband to customers on the go? Have a phoneline trailing behind them?

Metropolitan wi-fi?

barnicles wrote: »
    Metropolitan wi-fi?

That would be dependant on customers using WIFI phones, which are much more expensive than the type of phone Meteor customers usually go for.

And it won't work in the backarse of nowhere, whereas with the 3g broadband idea, there's at least EDGE to fall back on.

barnicles wrote: »
    Metropolitan wi-fi?
    lol

Think of the amount of cells currently required for 3g. Now double it. Now double it again. Now you are starting to get close to the amount of cells required for metro wifi.

lol

Think of the amount of cells currently required for 3g. Now double it. Now double it again. Now you are starting to get close to the amount of cells required for metro wifi.

Didn't google do some work on this in Mountain View? I thought they had set up some kind of wide reaching technology that meant less cells were required as each cell covered more area. Read it ages ago and can't be arsed looking it up again.

• Advertisement

Didn't google do some work on this in Mountain View? I thought they had set up some kind of wide reaching technology that meant less cells were required as each cell covered more area. Read it ages ago and can't be arsed looking it up again.
    Yea i remember reading that too.

http://wifinetnews.com/archives/007878.html

I still think google tisp is far superior tho. :p

Advertisement