Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike Fishing near Dublin

Options
  • 17-10-2008 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi All,

Any ideas where to go around dublin for pike fishing tomorrow.Only have gear for Spinning so info on what baits are best would be helpful.

Also have heard a lot about dead baiting recently but havent a clue how to even get started, any info on this method of foshing would be appreciated too

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Alot of people say Blessington Lake is great for pike fishing and alot of reports on the web will tell you that too,Im sure it is but I couldn't tell you myself where exactly on the lake to go and you do need a permitt €10 per day. If you fancy more of a drive,Head to Lough Ramor on Virginia,One and a half hour drive. You can spin from the shore on a jetty beside the school, Saw plenty of big pike taken from the jetty there.And if you get bored you can catch loads of perch if you bring a little hook and some sweet corn!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Blessington is closed to fishing during the month of October, you'd have to wait a bit to fish there.

There are big pike in Blessington. But it is a tough water that has a long learning period. Cormdogg has the right idea. Be willing to get travelling a few miles and this will get you to waters that are going to give you a beter chance of fish until you know what their habits are and how best to catch them. Then a session (or season) at Blessington can produce the results you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Flah

Cheers fellas, was in Lough Ramor 3 weeks ago , no joy so ended up spinnig in Lough Mullagh , got a 2ib pike there.
    Went to river inny on Saturday in Ballinalack only 1 hour from dublin on the motor way, smely saw us land a 5lb. Hooked a big fish but he through the bait ....the one that got a way !!!
    Couple of other lads form dublin were fishing there too , also spinnig smelt, said they had a couple of 4- 5lb fish aswell

will probably give blessing to a go in two weeks so any advice on good spots and what bait to use would be appreciated

cheers again for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

Use sasuage they like that down there

Flah wrote: »
    ... any advice on good spots and what bait to use would be appreciated ...

Err - given the number of pike killers already roving about destroying pike stocks you're not going to get good information this way.
    Misleading maybe. Vague certainly.

All experienced pikers have learned the hard way what heppens when a newbie is given the answers and then (assuming he is not a pike basher) he boasts about it to one.
    The pike heads sit on the lakeshore for weeks after to hammer home that lesson.

May I respectfully suggest you take a look back through previous threads and gather the clues ..... ;)

• Advertisement

for clarity purposes i have been fishing for 15 years but mainly from lough corrib and the surrounding areas. i also release all coarse fish i catch a, didnt mean to give the impression i was a 'pike killer'.

any advice on blessington still appreciated.

Cheers

You didn't give the impression, and I wasn't making an accusation, so please take no offense.
    It's just that the information you get without a direct friendship or relationship of trust will be vague at best, but might actually be misleading, and you have to take that possibility into account.
    At this time of year they are moving from generally the 15' to shallows range, into the 10' to 20' range. I would guess today the majority of Blessington pike were lying up in 15-18' dormant/resting and moving into 12' to feed.

A map of the lake area prior to flooding is very useful in figuring out this lake.

Their preferred prey in Blessington is perch and they orient according to perch shoals. Although roach and trout are undoubtedly taken, they are not the species to follow if you want to find the bigger pike concentrations. I would say study perch migration habits and temperature.

My float tube website has a page on making your own fishing maps These techniques work very well on Blessington. and similar reservoirs.

cheers for the info coolwings , i'l let you know how i get on saturday week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

There are no pike near dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 PETEMCL2003

Degsy wrote: »
    There are no pike near dublin.

the pike i caught today in blessington would beg to differ, also the grand canal section in clondalkin also has pike caught regularly

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

the pike i caught today in blessington would beg to differ, also the grand canal section in clondalkin also has pike caught regularly

What i mean is this:
    There are people who will kill everything they catch.
    As far as i'm concerned the arse has been torn out of the pike fishing,generally by eastern europeans.
    There are no pike left.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭F1erc3

you should try Lough Ramor in Virginia Co Cavan bout only an hours drive from Dublin on the N3, i live only a few miles from there, great corse and pike spot. Also try Mullagh lake which is only like 15-20mins drive from Virginia i got 2 nice pike there last week a 12lb and a 14lb. I caught one on a Jack Pike Lure made by fox and i caught the other on Mackrel Dead bait with double triple hook rig. Always make sure you use a trace cause pike have very sharp teeth. Also dont go fishing unless you have an unhooking mat and a good size forseps so has not to harm the fish. Happy fishing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

Can you fish for pike all through the year, or is it like trout fishing.?
    I have seen some fishing programmes programmes on the TV recently and it looks really interesting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'm pretty sure you can fish pike all year, possibly some local waters/fisheries may have their own restrictions, but in general it's all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭F1erc3

yea you can fish pike all year round, all lakes have the Fishery Board Pike By Laws, which state you cant take more then one pike home and they must not exceed 6lb or 22cm in length or something like that, but make sure the lake your gona fish for pike is a public lake before you fish on it,or else youl have aload of angry members coming down and running you off the lake.
    If your gona fish for pike make sure you have the right equipment.

1. Most important, unhooking mat and foreceps

These are essintial, you only have to buy em once but they save hassel for both the fish and yourself (ie having no fingers cause pike have sharp teeth)

2. Dead Bait/Spinners/Lure's,

I usually use a spoon spinner that is bronze one side and silver the other it works a charm in muddy waters. Ive started using a Jack Pike Lure, havent had any luck with it yet though. With dead bait i usually try roach for a few hours and if that doesnt work i used a exotic fish that isnt found in the lakes like mackrel/herring/smelt. These will work a charm cause they are a shiny silver and they are oily fish that give off a different scent than local course fish.

3. Floats/Weights/Traces/Swivel's/Tripple Hooks

These are essintial aswell, i use a Fox Red Dart, these are a really highly visable float and they can hold a good dead bait like mackrel or herring. I tend to use bombers for weights so i can ensure the weight is at the bottom and the dead bait is floating about 3-4feet from the bottom of the lake (As pike see upwards). U must use a trace, i found out the hard way back in the day, catch a pike and he will bite the line closest to his mouth so traces are essintal.

Other than that happy fishing dude :D

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

Excellent. Thanks for the advise.
    I will let you know how I get on.

Advertisement