Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Fiesta handbrake light flickers on/off when driving

Options
  • 17-10-2008 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just want to get people's opinion. I drive a 1.3 Ford Fiesta (1999). When I am driving and when I slow down (less than 50kph) the handbrake light flickers on/off. When I am driving normal it is fine.

Anyone know what it could be? Other than that the car is fine, sounds normal. Could it be a faulty light (or wiring) or handbrake sensor (is there one? ).

Thanks in advance!

--laoisfan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I have no clue really but I would think faulty wiring. Are you really hard on handbrake when putting it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Have a look in your handbook, that light sometimes doubles as the brake pad wear warning light.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Check your brake fluid level. Some sensors go like that when there is not enough brake fluid in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Anan1 wrote: »
    Have a look in your handbook, that light sometimes doubles as the brake pad wear warning light.

alas no handbook came with the car but i was suspecting that the light might server a dual purpose. am planning to get the car service soon so will mention that to my mate.

Edit. will check brake fluid level as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

You can buy handbooks for cars in halfords too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Had the same thing happen on my 04 focus, and it turned out to be the brake pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

brake fluid level seems ok, possibly the brake pad then. never changed brake pads before so i guess i will be getting my mate to check them.

Q. is it possible to check the brake pads without removing the wheels ? i suppose it means getting down on the ground etc etc :)

thanks for all the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

GF had same problem on her Ka, think it was brake fluid/pads/combo of both. If the 2 cars are in anyway related, I'd be willing to wager....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The handbrake light coming on intermittantly like that is caused by worn brake pads. If it was brake fluid/brake circuit failure etc then it would stay on all the time, and needless to say the car *should not* be driven if this is the case.

Advertisement