Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading Books for Junior Infants?

Options
  • 17-10-2008 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anybody tell me the name of an english reading book that a junior infants class would use?

I have a very clever 2 year old who knows all his letters and numbers and can already read a few basic words when i write them so i'd like to move on to something hes likely to encounter when he starts school.

Back when i was in school it was Ann and Barry but im sure thats changed now!

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Don't get him the books on the school circulum.
    If he reads them now the will be bored of them and won't enguage as much in when in school. I suggest that you try your local book store or better yet library.
    Most libraries have toddler bins full of large books with large print which usually encourages
    them look through them as they can look like a toy box and are accessible to most toddlers once they can stand.

There is bound to be selection of first books which will use pictures with the names of the objects under them and first story books with certain words in the sentence in very large bold print for them to read as you read along with them.

Teaching a child to read and encouraging a love of reading is a wonderful thing to do.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

As thaed said, if he is too far ahead of his classmates he will get bored and disruptive in class and could possibly start his whole education life off on the wrong foot.

Stick with spot the dog or whoever is in fashion at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 34,950 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As thaed said, if he is too far ahead of his classmates he will get bored and disruptive in class and could possibly start his whole education life off on the wrong foot.

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, but that sounds like an argument for holding him back just to make life easier. A child should be encouraged to reach his or her potential even if that makes their path through life not 'average'.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I certainly didn't mean for holding him back just for not giving him the english reader he will have when he starts school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I wouldn't start the school curriculum either.. In fairness, there are more interesting books which will still stimulate your child. We got Dora books for our lad - he can't read, now, but we read them to him, he's learned a lot from them, like counting in spanish, how to nag me to read 10 books a night, that sort of thing ;) Stick with whatever character or subject your child enjoys, then it'll feel to the child less like you're trying to be his teacher and more like you're reading for pure enjoyment. Best part is, no matter what you read, they'll still learn, and a love of books is a great gift!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

If your in Dublin, go to the Borders bookstore in Blanchardstown shopping center (close to Kentucky Fried Chicken. They have ever book under the sun including the school books. The staff have all the details of which books are appropriate for each level.

We have in the past bought our girl the school books, but she has a very large appetite for any stories and will read them again and again. She gets bedtime stories every night and we find it hard to keep up with new books. We make a trip to chapters in the city once a month and trade in a bunch of books and buy a bunch of new ones. Christmas time is coming, which means sales of works in schools, where you can pick up dozens of books for over the course of the year.

I always tell people if they want to buy something for a treat, buy a book, you can never have too many. If the child is having difficulty reading, get them into comics, something they will love, but alos has a big part of reading involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I wouldn't get any books on the school curriculum and there isn't any need to as there is such a wide variety of books available.

I think most libraries now have parent and toddler meet-ups and young children are encouraged to get used to books. Even going to the library at any time is good and they're very child friendly with child sized furniture, bean bags etc.

Before I had my children a work colleague told me that if a child is encouraged to read that they'll never be bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

lots of colouring activities, join the dots etc to help handwriting can be encouraged too...jigsaws, sorting puzzles etc.....many bright kids miss out on this prior to school and then hit huge hurdles when they arrive.....keep a balance and your child will be happy:)

Advertisement