Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plumbing question US 3/4" fitting to Irish

Options
  • 17-10-2008 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi,
    I bought a water filter for my well on the internet from the US,
    I comes with 2 male 3/4" fittings but the thread is too narrow to take the 3/4" fittings we have here, I need to join it in to a 3/4" heavy duty pipe taking the water into the house, what fittings do I need to connect this and where would I get them.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

You'll need to get a pair of 3/4" 311's .

They're a male screw in thread on one end and a olive and nut on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

is your 3/4 pipe black plastic? and is it really half inch heavy gauge?

If the filter has 3/4" male thread you will need 3/4" 312 which is a female threaded connection on one side and a 3/4" nut and ring on the other. If your pipe is 1/2" heavy gauge it will fit in the 3/4" nut and ring as heavy gauge has a thick wall. However if your pipe is 3/4" heavy gauge, you will need a 3/4" x 1" 312. 3/4" female thread with an 1" nut and ring. The 3/4" HG pipe will fit in the inch side of fitting. The size of the pipe should be marked on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that Darth is saying that the 3/4" 312 does not screw over the US fitting, because the threads do not match.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

JamesM wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that Darth is saying that the 3/4" 312 does not screw over the US fitting, because the threads do not match.
    Jim.

Sorry ,I misread what darth said. I presumed he had fittings that sounded like 311's.

It sounds like the thread is the same size as a washing machine valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

JamesM wrote: »
    Jim.

I say your spot on. We use a BSP thread here and the states uses NPT thread. The best place to get a converting fitting is a hydraulic and/or air product supplier. Don't think a plumbing supplier would carry such an item.

• Advertisement
Advertisement