Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

aerial mounts on a car roof

• 17-10-2008 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Are there any considerations about having a V/UHF dual band whip and a CB whip on a car roof. Should there be a certain distance between them? Only one band will be transmitting at a time!

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I've had 4 whips on roof. It does affect the directionality and I sweep back the car radio Aerial to minimise pickup by it.

I've used 10m/6m whip on 10m/6m at 5W same time as VHF/UHF W770 running 50W/35W OK (about 1m apart on Peugot 106 roof).

I've also used the 10m/6m whip on 80m .. 10m at 25W from a Racal syncal30 and 40m to 17m using 80W via home brew amp from FT817 5W radio while the 2m/70cm (VHF/UHF) was running.

Iv'e used a CB whip also for CB and for 160m to 10m on the 25W Racal with no problem (no CB contacts, but heard churches on upper band).

A bigger whip needs a large triple magnet base. Esp. the 10m/6m dual band whip which has good SWR on 11m also and works OK down to 7MHz using the Elecraft T1 Auto ATU. The Racal military radio is of course designed to tune a 8ft whip down to 1.5MHz! It has a large internal drum and a metal spindle. Gold braided cord is wound from spindle to drum manually as frequency reduced from 30MHz to 1.5MHz.

Advertisement