Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I be Accepted for a Laser card?

Options
  • 17-10-2008 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I went into BOI today to apply for a Laser card but when I saw the form it had an employment section. Do I need to be regularily employed in order to qualify for a Laser card?
    I'm currently a student and find it very hard to hold down a job and progress in my studies so I'm living off savings I've made through working over the summer. Does this mean I won't be eligible for a card?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 prentice

Aved wrote: »
    I went into BOI today to apply for a Laser card but when I saw the form it had an employment section. Do I need to be regularily employed in order to qualify for a Laser card?
    I'm currently a student and find it very hard to hold down a job and progress in my studies so I'm living off savings I've made through working over the summer. Does this mean I won't be eligible for a card?

no problems with a laser card. you can only spend what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭alfaz

you won't be getting any credit from the bank because you can only use the laser card when theres money in your account.
    i can't see any reason why they would refuse it, as there wouldn't be any risk involved for the bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Aved

So if I ticked student in the employment section and left the other details blank it should be okay? A woman came over to me in the bank and said my salary and wages had to go into my account and when I told her I was a student and was living off savings so said the bank would have to decide whether to accept me or not:confused:
    I really need a laser as I've saved up to buy a laptop and I don't feel comfortable carrying over a grand in my wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

So if I ticked student in the employment section and left the other details blank it should be okay? A woman came over to me in the bank and said my salary and wages had to go into my account and when I told her I was a student and was living off savings so said the bank would have to decide whether to accept me or not:confused:
    I really need a laser as I've saved up to buy a laptop and I don't feel comfortable carrying over a grand in my wallet.

That's bull, you don't have to have any money being paid into the account.

You'll have no trouble getting a Laser.

They practically threw one at me (Student as well).

thanks a million that takes a weight off my mind:D

• Advertisement

I went in with my application just now and they said I probably wouldn't be approved as I don't weekly or monthly installments into my account. They're sending my application off but it's not looking hopeful:mad::(
    Are there any ways I can get around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I went in with my application just now and they said I probably wouldn't be approved as I don't weekly or monthly installments into my account. They're sending my application off but it's not looking hopeful:mad::(

Setup a joint account with an employed parent/friend?

Edit: Actually, why not give the parent/friend the cash, and get them to come with you to buy it on their laser? Or just stick the cash down your bra?

Go to a different bank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

I'm 17, on BOIs site they offer laser cards for personal banking accounts and 3rd level students but don't display it for 2nd level students which would be the category id fall under.

I really need a laser card and a cheque book/card.. is it likely that I'm approved?

At the moment there is no cash in the bank and have not been using it actively the past 3 or so years but from now on I'll be using it very actively and in the future be opening a business account with them

any ideas?

ta

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

They can only issue laser cards to people over 18. The reason that you need a regular income coming in to be approved (generally) is because over the weekend etc, the banking system isn't live, so any laser transactions you do over the weekend will only hit your account on the monday morning, also a lot of retailers have 'floor limits' so transactions below a certain amount don't have to be authorised by the bank before they're put through, so there's a chance you could go overdrawn without an overdraft. They need to know that if that happens, there's gonna be money coming in to put the account right again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

You're 17 and you want a cheque book? Whos going to take a cheque off you lol! You'd have no problem getting a laser when you're over 18 but don't think you'll get one now. Think you should have a parent with you buying the laptop, more chance of that being stolen than the cash..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

The reason they won't issue laser cards to under 18s is that it is, essentially, a contract whereby you agree to the T&C of the Laser Card.

A laser card is also a cheque guarantee card, and as laser transactions have, in most cases, replaced cheques, it is also a guarantee card for the laser transaction. Therefore, any transaction up to the amount of the guarantee is covered by the bank, so you don't necessarily have to have the funds in your account to cover it. Thats why some retailers won't accept laser card transactions over a certain amount.

Its pretty hard to chase a minor for a debt!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 technoman

Try postbank, i'm 17 in secondary school. the post office gave me a Maestro debit card (laser card) i have a full current account there it's great. No fees and open on saturday + you can use nearly every post office to lodge or transact money. they do a great savings account too and internet banking. the good thing is that you fill out one form and they give you eveything in one go so you don't have to go off applying for different services

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

..unfortunately, I don't think Postbank can do cashback yet, or be used online (even on the limited amount of retailers that accept Laser/Maestro).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

When I was a student, AIB wouldn't give me a laser card but were happy to let me mound up debt and offered me a credit card??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

prentice wrote: »
    no problems with a laser card. you can only spend what you have.
    alfaz wrote: »
    you won't be getting any credit from the bank because you can only use the laser card when theres money in your account.
    i can't see any reason why they would refuse it, as there wouldn't be any risk involved for the bank
    Sean_K wrote: »
    That's bull, you don't have to have any money being paid into the account.

You'll have no trouble getting a Laser.

They practically threw one at me (Student as well).
    This post has been deleted.
    fletch wrote: »
    When I was a student, AIB wouldn't give me a laser card but were happy to let me mound up debt and offered me a credit card??? :confused:

You'd think eh? But the reason for all the hesitancy giving out laser cards is as Toots puts it -
    Toots85 wrote: »
    They can only issue laser cards to people over 18. The reason that you need a regular income coming in to be approved (generally) is because over the weekend etc, the banking system isn't live, so any laser transactions you do over the weekend will only hit your account on the monday morning, also a lot of retailers have 'floor limits' so transactions below a certain amount don't have to be authorised by the bank before they're put through, so there's a chance you could go overdrawn without an overdraft. They need to know that if that happens, there's gonna be money coming in to put the account right again.

Regarding laser cards issued by BOI, I'm being told there's a new system going live (in the next month or so) which will make sure that laser transactions are deducted straight away from your cleared balance. AIB have this system in place already. So if you're patient you'll get the laser card.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

ptsb have it in place too. can only spend what you have

Advertisement