Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11 to become M11?

Options
  • 17-10-2008 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

As was in the Guardian lately, the story of the possible upgrade of the N11 to a motorway status. At least the planners of such roads could plan ahead for these by designing them in such a way to allow this to happen. Hopefully this will get the go ahead. Personally, the far more congested M50 should be downgraded to a 100km road and the lesser congested dual carriageways upgraded where possible. just an idea. The problem is till the lack of service stations and truck stops, picnicing area, toilet stops etc along these roads now. seems the planners have not taken everything into consideration:P

By Fintan LAMBE

Wednesday October 08 2008

"LEARNER DRIVERS may soon have to find an alternative route to Dublin, if plans to upgrade much of the N11 to motorway status get the go-ahead.

The Department of Transport last week announced plans to make motorway declarations for the dual carriageway sections of the N11 from Ashford to Rathnew, the Arklow bypass, and the Gorey bypass.

This will allow traffic to travel at a maximum of 120 kmph, thus reducing the journey time to Dublin for the majority of motorists. However certain categories of road users are prohibited from using motorways, including learner drivers, vehicles not exceeding 50 cc in engine capacity, vehicles not capable of a speed of 50 kmph, pedestrians and pedal cyclists.

The Department of Transport has said that these road users will be catered for by the local and regional road network.

Objections or representations to the plans must be made to the Department of Transport by November 14 next. The plans are on display in Wexford County Council's offices in Gorey and Wexford.

A total of 21 kilometres of the Gorey bypass from Cooldangan to Ballinclay will be upgraded to the 120 kmph speed limit., as will 7 km of the Arklow bypass, and 8 km from Ashford to Rathnew.

Gorey Town Councillor Malcolm Byrne welcomed the news.

'The bypass designation will help in terms of journey times along the N11 as a significant portion of it is now upgraded.' he said."
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

they already have 120km speed limits on some dual carraigeways, why do they have to redesignate it motorway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Traumadoc wrote: »
    they already have 120km speed limits on some dual carraigeways, why do they have to redesignate it motorway?

As far as I know 120kph speed limits only apply to designated M-ways. I have never seen an N road with a 120kph speed limit; where are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

bmaxi wrote: »
    As far as I know 120kph speed limits only apply to designated M-ways. I have never seen an N road with a 120kph speed limit; where are they?

HQDCs or High Quality Dual-Carriageways - the N6 to Athlone was an N-road until being redesignated, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

About time, really. I don't understand why the Gorey bypass wasn't made a Motorway from the beginning, as far as I know it fits all of the criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

The mean reason it will be designated as a motorway is to make sure that there is no chance that private access will be allowed on to the carriageway ikn the feature.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I thought that the Idea was the Road from Belfast to Roslare was to be designated E1

as in Euro Route 1 a full on 'interstate' for want of a better term, isnt that ehy the EU gave them Billions to piss away

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    HQDCs or High Quality Dual-Carriageways - the N6 to Athlone was an N-road until being redesignated, for example.

Interesting. What is it called now? What colour is the signage? I noticed when in Dublin recently, that the signage on parts of the M50 where it has been increased to three lanes, is now a sort of bronze colour. I had heard that the speed limit is to be reduced to 100kph on these stretches because of the narrowing, or removal, of the hard shoulder. What are they going to call this I wonder? We'll soon need an observer in the car with us to warn us of all the changes. Of course when you put Mr. Bean in charge of infrastructure you can expect this.

Interesting. What is it called now? What colour is the signage? I noticed when in Dublin recently, that the signage on parts of the M50 where it has been increased to three lanes, is now a sort of bronze colour. I had heard that the speed limit is to be reduced to 100kph on these stretches because of the narrowing, or removal, of the hard shoulder. What are they going to call this I wonder? We'll soon need an observer in the car with us to warn us of all the changes. Of course when you put Mr. Bean in charge of infrastructure you can expect this.

The bronze colour means that there are construction works. It will still be a motorway, it doesn't necessarily need to have a limit of 120

jd wrote: »
    The bronze colour means that there are construction works. It will still be a motorway, it doesn't necessarily need to have a limit of 120

These are the huge directional signs that are at the junctions and flyovers, surely they are not going to change them because of roadworks.

These are the huge directional signs that are at the junctions and flyovers, surely they are not going to change them because of roadworks.

they will change back to blue when works are complete

• Advertisement

they will change back to blue when works are complete

I have to say I'm amazed at that, what a waste of time and resources. Whose bright idea was this, why would you need a sign to tell you there are works on the motorway when you are about to leave it? Defies logic. BTW there are none of these signs further out towards Loughlinstown where there are also road widening works. Is it mentioned in the Rules of the Road?

I have to say I'm amazed at that, what a waste of time and resources. Whose bright idea was this, why would you need a sign to tell you there are works on the motorway when you are about to leave it? Defies logic. BTW there are none of these signs further out towards Loughlinstown where there are also road widening works. Is it mentioned in the Rules of the Road?
    Junctions on the M50 are being converted to free flow and the layouts can change at short notice. I resume you are talking about the M7 junction etc

Junctions on the M50 are being converted to free flow and the layouts can change at short notice. I resume you are talking about the M7 junction etc

Yes, at the Ballymount and N7 junctions, (although it's GPS and not signposts you'd need to negotiate that N7 roundabout, it's rumoured that people have been found there still trying to find their way to Punchestown, for the summer gigs.) You seem to be well clued up on this, I'd wager there aren't too many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The N2 to ashbourne is the only example i can think of. Its currently an N road but with a 120km/h limit.

The N6 while it was an N road was only 100km/h, In fact in the 5 days running up to the Motorway re-designation and 120km/h increase the gardai were out trying to nab people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Cian R

Yes they are upgrading the Gorey Bypass to Motorway. It was in the Wexford People newspaper a few weeks ago. 21km of new motorway from the junction with the R741 to the Arklow bypass. The fools at the NRA decided to start the bypass at a roundabout so the first 5km of the bypass by Clogh cannot be upgraded unless the roundabout is removed somehow.

Cian R wrote: »
    Yes they are upgrading the Gorey Bypass to Motorway. It was in the Wexford People newspaper a few weeks ago. 21km of new motorway from the junction with the R741 to the Arklow bypass. The fools at the NRA decided to start the bypass at a roundabout so the first 5km of the bypass by Clogh cannot be upgraded unless the roundabout is removed somehow.

you have his wrong, i think.
    from the dept of transport site
    (iii) Section Name: Arklow to Gorey
    Application Ref.: 11(iii)-N11 (c)
    Townland Start: Cooladangan
    Townland End: Ballinclay
    Length (approx): 21 km
    Description: The section of the N11 between its
    junction with the R772 at Cooladangan
    in County Wicklow and its junction with
    the R772 at Ballinclay in County
    Wexford, via the townlands of Ashwood
    Upper, Ballyellin, Inch, Tinnock Lower,
    Toberduff, Courteencurragh,
    Raheenagurren West, Coolnastudd and
    Clogh, in County Wexford.

There will have to be a full interchange built when the DC is continued on towards Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

Wednesday October 29 2008 Gorey Guardian

A DECISION by the NRA to postpone a road upgrade between Arklow bypass and the Beehive has been greeted with dismay by North Wexford commuters.

Cllr. Malcolm Byrne, who has been leading a campaign to have this stretch of road improved, has said that the NRA decision to delay the improvement works could cost lives.

'It was thought that this work would start next year, but now it looks like it will be at least 2010 before it starts. This is one of the most dangerous stretches of road in the country,' he said.

Truck stop protest stepped up SCARNAGH RESIDENTS TO TAKE ON THE NRA
    By Anne Marie O'CONNOR

Wednesday October 22 2008

UP TO 100 residents of the Inch and Scarnagh area are expected to confront NRA officials in Gorey today (Wednesday) as they continue to protest against plans to site a 'truck stop' near their homes.

Locals agreed at a public meeting held in The Golden Anchor in Castletown on Friday night to go en masse to today's NRA information meeting, which is to be held in the Ashdown Park Hotel between 1 p.m. and 8 p.m.

An estimated 120 people, along with Deputy Michael D'Arcy and Cllr. Lorcan Allen, attended that Friday night meeting, to discuss their grave concerns about the proposed development on the western side of the dual carriageway at Scarnagh.

'THERE WAS an awful lot of concern at the meeting about this. People are worried about lighting, noise and all the other implications of this development,' said Ballyellen residents association chairman, Tadgh O Scannail.

'We want the NRA to listen to us. We are not against the siting of a service area on the N11, but we object that they want to put it in the middle of a rural residental area.

'We want them to put this facility in an area that won't encroach on peoples lives or investments,' he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Cian R

you have his wrong, i think.
    from the dept of transport site

There will have to be a full interchange built when the DC is continued on towards Enniscorthy.
    Ok thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

n11truckstop2.jpg

n11truckstop.jpg

Advertisement