Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying an untaxed car?

Options
  • 17-10-2008 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question.

I am going to look at a car which was VRT'd in July but not taxed since.

My understanding is that whoever buys it will have to pay backtax to July.

The chap selling it claims that when you buy a car you aren't liable for the previous owners non-payment of car tax so therefore only need to tax it from the date of purchase. Is this correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

commited wrote: »
    Just a quick question.

The chap selling it claims that when you buy a car you aren't liable for the previous owners non-payment of car tax so therefore only need to tax it from the date of purchase. Is this correct?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

you will need this

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF100A_en.pdf

fill it out and get it stamped by the guards
    they wont even question you

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think you need to fill out that form or have it stamped by the Gardai. My understanding is that the new registered owner only has to tax it from the day of purchase to my knowledge. Whether it was taxed or not before that should be no concern of the new registered owner. Ring your local motor tax office or a Garda station to confirm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It's no harm in getting the form stamped by the Gardai though. Then make a photocopy of it and carry it aorund with you, along with your receipt of purchase. That way, if you're pulled over at a checkpoint for having no tax, you can show them the documents.

I bought a car 6 weeks ago and am stil waiting for the log book and tax disc to be sent to me. They sent it to the wrong address. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

If you are the new owner you are only responsible for the road tax from the day you own it. It doesn't matter what had happened previous to you owning it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If you are the new owner you are only responsible for the road tax from the day you own it.

It's from the beginning of the month you bought it, so bear that in mind if you buy it towards the end of the month.

There's an area on the tax form that specified new owner details, so all you have to do is put in the month you got it and you're sorted.

Advertisement