Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off Vegitable oil at Tesco's despite the fall in diesel prices.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

eth0_ wrote: »
    Oh, I didn't realise you HAD to use recycled oil. Mad!

Recycled oil has a much lower moisture content and burns far better in a diesel engine. You'll bollox a diesel engine eventually using regular cooking oil, unless you have modifications to the engine to compensate for the higher moisture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Why signal Tesco out on this when it is the same everywhere?
    They are the leaders of this cartel, I.E they were the first to hike up the price of veggi oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

They are the leaders of this cartel, I.E they were the first to hike up the price of veggi oil.

they also take your first born.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

rameire wrote: »
    they also take your first born.

and take your soul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

And you base this fact on...? Have you priced Veggie oil in all supermarkets each week since last January?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I think the price of vegetable oil on international markets has been volatile, but I am no expert.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/01/19/business/palmoil.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Blunder

I think the AA roadwatch website has the average price of Veggie oil each month recorded on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

craichoe wrote: »
    A. Vegetable oil has no relation to the price of Diesel, more people use vegetable oil, the price of Diesel does not go up, its the same with Diesel, it price has no bearing on Vegetable oil.
    As already stated there really is no link between Diesel and Vegetable oil prices in that the change in Diesel prices does not necessitate a corresponding change in Veggie Oil prices. A change in demand for diesel may affect Veggie Oil prices but not a change in Diesel prices per se.
    If everybody started to use veg oil, then demand would go down for diesel and its price would increase, less people would stock it, lower turnover etc. Just like I imagine VHS tapes cost more nowadays compared to blank DVDs. 2 different products but with some common usages. DVDs do TV & data, like veg oil is food & fuel.
    craichoe wrote: »
    B. You can use Vegetable oil, you need to declare your usage to the Revenue on your amount of usage per year.
    Could tesco stock diesel/petrol on their shelves and leave it up to customers to declare the duty? i.e. people can use it as a solvent/cleaner.
    smccarrick wrote: »
    Recycled oil has a much lower moisture content and burns far better in a diesel engine. You'll bollox a diesel engine eventually using regular cooking oil, unless you have modifications to the engine to compensate for the higher moisture.
    Moisture as in water? if there was water in veg oil it would be separated out, the ingredients list it as 100% oil. Unless it is something else you mean.

rubadub wrote: »
    Moisture as in water? if there was water in veg oil it would be separated out, the ingredients list it as 100% oil. Unless it is something else you mean.

Yes- its pure 100% oil. However its "hydrated oil". If you examine the molecular structure of different oils, you will find that they have superfluous OH chains which are released under certain circumstances (such as heating the oil to a high temperature). Oil which has been dehydrated in this manner will burn more cleanly, leaving less carbon deposits on heads, and at a lower temperature. Of course it will have to be properly cleaned to ensure no other residual products of the cooking process are included in the oil (starch etc).

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

smccarrick wrote: »
    Yes- its pure 100% oil. However its "hydrated oil".
    Very interesting, I presume it was just since they got it cheap, i.e. it was going to be thrown out. I remember seeing them running cars on it on mythbusters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I want one of you to put in a corner for when I have guests over to amuse us over dinner and some fine Tesco brand champagne, where can I get you ?
    Do you take club card ?

rubadub wrote: »
    Very interesting, I presume it was just since they got it cheap, i.e. it was going to be thrown out. I remember seeing them running cars on it on mythbusters.

It will work- over time it will leave considerable carbon deposits on the heads (and cause other probs) though. Myth buster probably used a clapped out old car that they didn't care to destroy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

The price of Veg oil went up because Tesco wanted to make more profit as people we using it to top up their car. I saw a individual in tesco a few months ago who had about 20 -30 litres in his trolley. BTW most diesel now available will how have a certain percentage of bio diesel added to ordinary road diesel. As another poster said bio diesel is a solvent and will eat rubber hoses in a car. Most modern cars will have a synethetic rubber hoses for the fuel system so can take it. However if you intend on using bio diesel ensure you check the manufactures recommendations regards your injection system. Bio has a different viscosity than ordinary diesel. Some cars can take a certain quality of diesel and make sure that the filters car changed regularly. at the moment I think bio is around 79c per litre. If any one is intrested there is a very good article in car mechanics magazine this month well worth a look http://www.carmechanicsmag.co.uk/

Advertisement