Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know of an application that measures connectivity over time?

Options
  • 17-10-2008 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

I'm with NTL - 6MB line apparently

Speed tests indicate decent performance - however I have a tricky to emasure problem

I get "freezes" about every 45 seconds or so where I get 1-2 seconds of no activity - this is playing havoc with online gaming

whenever i run tests at blacknight.ie or speedtest.net it shows up fine as obviously these are just point in time over 10 seconds or whatever...

anyone know of an application i can run in the background that measures connectivity over say, 10 minutes or so??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

A programme like DU Meter would work - http://dumeter.com/

Although I wouldn't rule out the possibility of this being OS or game based.

I used to sometimes have issues gaming, are these 'freezes' locking up your game? that could be a number of things (OS/GFX/CPU etc.)

Describe in more detail what exactly is happening when it freezes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

if it happens every ~45 seconds or soo, just open a command prompt and ping the same server address several times in a minute and see if the speeds fluctuate. You would need to do this when not downloading torrents or anything as it can interfere with the ping rates

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

lmimmfn wrote: »
    if it happens every ~45 seconds or soo, just open a command prompt and ping the same server address several times in a minute and see if the speeds fluctuate. You would need to do this when not downloading torrents or anything as it can interfere with the ping rates

leave a dos window open constantly pinging the game server

start > run > cmd

then type:

ping -t [server address]

CTRL+C to stop the ping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

thanks for the replies folks

Upon further investigation, there is a 2o page thread about this exact problem on the games technical support page, so it certainly looks like its a problem potentially with the game itself

However, I will utilise the tips listed above to at least rule out connectivity issues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

www.pingplotter.com is a good idea for this. The demo version will work fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

www.pingplotter.com is a good idea for this. The demo version will work fine.
    bugger, just beaten to the punch again. :)

we use pingplotter (and it's sister app multiping) at work to find connectivity issues withour remote sites, very handy apps.

Advertisement