Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much spending money for RTW trip?

• 17-10-2008 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Sorry I know this has probably been asked already but just curious on hearing other peoples past experiences how much they brought with them for their RTW trip.

Most people I know have suggested €10,000, some €7,500, while a guy I know just left and he had €15,000 which seems far too much!

Basically I have about €5,000 saved, hoping to leave in April with about €10,000 or there abouts.

Don't want to bore you with details but my very rough overview at the moment is to start by going through South America - Bolivia, Peru etc for 2 or 3 months then into Australia and work for a few months then once I have some cash saved go home through Asia - Thailand etc.

Again sorry if its an annoying question, I'm just looking for a rough number or what worked for people who have done a similar trip as everyone keeps telling me different things.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Ya, I had about €15,000 for mine. Never actually totted up the total to figure out how much I spent. Usually I spent €1000 a month, and I never went crazy on spending, although I didn't work in Aus.
    Also, coming home can be a crazy experience. And it's horrible if on top of not seeing cool things every day, you're also broke, and the economy is crap etc. Just a word of warning, try have a grand or so for when you get back until you get back on your feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I spent about 14,000 (I think, never had the urge to find out exactly!) including flights. I travelled for an entire year, didn't work a day. Did everything I wanted to do and then some :D Don't regret a penny of that!

I spent 6 months of my time in Asia and that keeps the costs down dramatically. Take note that once you reach NZ and Oz, your bank balance will start to plummet!!!! The longer you spend away from Oz, the more you can get out of your savings.

Good tip from Dory, coming home is painful. Particulary after day 3 or 4 when the novalty has worn off. Try come home at summer so you're not facing the depressing depths of winter in Ireland! Brrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jimmyneo1

Thanks for the advice, as I said think I'll be able to scrape together about €10,000 - €12,000 but for some weird reason I do actually want to work in Australia for a few months so think that should be enough.

The culture shock of coming home I am a bit worried about, heard it off a few people. Also I'm actually living in London at the moment, been here 3 years, so by the time I get home from travelling won't have lived in Dublin for over 4 so I'm sure it will feel odd. Anyway should be all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

I spent at least 10,000, not including what I earned for a couple of months in Australia. If I included all the flights, insurance, vaccinations, and travel gear I'm guessing it would be closer to 15,000 euro. Worth every penny despite the fact I've come back to the recession with no job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭RyanAsh

I spent about 1K a month in Asia (SA should be the same), in NZ & OZ double that....very painful seeing the effect on the bank balance when you get to OZ but if you're working it shouldn't be as bad. Definitely bring as much as you can & live it up in Asia & SA....you'll be tempted to be trying to scrimp there as things are so cheap & you tend to get really tight....its so not worth it!! Live it up coz the extra little bit u pay is nothing once you get to Oz & thats the time to be scrimping!! Great advice about putting aside some money 4when you get home...i did that and boy was I glad of it & I had a job sorted for when i got home. I didn't find it depressing at all coming home, was quite happy with my life before i left & was happy to come home to my bf, family & friends, even my job which i didn't appreciate before i left....home isnt necessarily that depressing....aside from the economy. So anyway id calculate up based on the 1k/2k per month & add some for 'just in case' & leave some at home for when you get home. Oh! and dont include your flights, vaccinations or anything like that because thats all money thats gone long before you even start to pack! Enjoy your trip, it really is an amazing time so enjoy every minute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Im currently in South America and have budgeted for 2 months- 2-3k thats a month approx in peru & boliva the the rest in argentina with 2 weeks in Brazil.

Im off to Thialand for 3 weeks- 1 k?
    OZ & Nz 3 & half weeks each..3k?

Fiji a couple of days, Hawaii 1 week US & Canada for 1 month. I have budgeted for 9k spending money...im staying with family in the states and a freind in montreol but unsure about budget for hawaii as I wont be hosteling it as my GF is coming over for that part of my trip ..any advice would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Im currently in South America and have budgeted for 2 months- 2-3k thats a month approx in peru & boliva the the rest in argentina with 2 weeks in Brazil.

Im off to Thialand for 3 weeks- 1 k?
    OZ & Nz 3 & half weeks each..3k?

Fiji a couple of days, Hawaii 1 week US & Canada for 1 month. I have budgeted for 9k spending money...im staying with family in the states and a freind in montreol but unsure about budget for hawaii as I wont be hosteling it as my GF is coming over for that part of my trip ..any advice would be great.

9K sounds about right. Try break it down by countries and work out how much you will be spending every day. I am budgeting 9k spending money for a 20 week break around the world.

South Africa – 5 Days X 80 = 400
    Thailand – 42 Days X 40 = 1890
    Australia – 42 Days X 80 = 3360
    Argentina – 14 Days X 45 = 630
    America – 35 Days X 80 = 2800

South Africa €400
    Thailand €1890
    Australia €3360
    Argentina €630
    America €2800
    Total €9080

Advertisement