Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it too late at twenty to get competitive swimming form?

• 17-10-2008 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, i just got back into swimming after a couple of years of only occasional swimming. Im 20 now, but is it too late to get my body into a competitive shape ? most high level swimmers have been training since they were in there childhood or early teens.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Join a club and see - if you mention where you're based posters here are sure to recommend clubs. There is nothing stopping you becoming a decent competitor if you put the work in - you'll need to swim three times a week minimum. Plenty of people i know who compete in masters events, OW swimming and triathlon only took up swimming as adults. While I swam when i was a child and in my teens it was never competitive. I only got into serious training about two and half years ago. I'm nearly 32 now. I'm not a high level swimmer but I compete and I enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

It’s never too late but it all depends on how dedicated you are and how far you want to go. Are you talking making the Olympics? Irish record? Or just competing on par with your age group?

As Killgore Trout suggested, join a masters club and see where that takes you. Masters swimming has traditionally only started from 25yrs up but there are a lot more galas now doing 19-24 age groups. Masters swimming normally has a lot of ex swimmers and some new swimmers. Gauge yourself off them and do a few galas to see where you are with your times.

If you enjoy this you can stay with masters or decide to take it to the next level and get sessions with a competitive club. This will likely be daily training, early mornings and the required land work and strict diet. A whole different beast.

Definitely try it and see how far you want to go.
    Good Luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you mean a standard where you can hold your own with people who have swam for years - YES
    If you mean, a standard where you can do well at a masters gala - Yes.

If you mean truely competitive - Then no.
    It would be similar to somebody starting football at 20. While, with alot of work, they might be a very good player on a sunday side.
    They will never make top flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

Agreed. You wont be able to be as good as lads swimming since their youth its not possible.

You can join a masters club though and if you train very hard you may be able to compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

5004 wrote: »
    Hi, i just got back into swimming after a couple of years of only occasional swimming. Im 20 now, but is it too late to get my body into a competitive shape ? most high level swimmers have been training since they were in there childhood or early teens.

HELL NO! i only got back into it just over 2 years ago and im 25 ( before that was when i was an early teen and over weight but not anymore ) and i might add kicking arse! Go for it buddy!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Go for it. It's highly unlikley that you'd ever compete right at the highest level. But then, that's the same for almost everyone. One thing also to remember is that people in their teens have far more time to train than older people. Not many swimmers drink or have jobs either (only one or two in my club have one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I've started back at 25. Its been 8 years since I last competed and I know there's probably no way in hell I'll get back near the times I was pulling then... but it'll be fun trying :)

I'll be training on my own for the next two months and plan to join the NAC Masters in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

connundrum wrote: »
    I know there's probably no way in hell I'll get back near the times I was pulling then... but it'll be fun trying :)

At 25 now i can and often do pass by masters/triathletes in the fast lane, what a confidence boost!! You will get close to your times though as i am.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I do the same, but I make sure that they are doing a 'no legs' or 'no arms' drill before I try it ;)

Ah I'm sure I'll get close. At the moment I'm about 4 seconds off my PB 50FC. I'd say in another month of two I'll have it down to 2 - 2.5 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

At 25 now i can and often do pass by masters/triathletes in the fast lane, what a confidence boost!! You will get close to your times though as i am.

I'm not trying to put you down,
    but when people said there its unlikely he will get to a high competitive level (The OPs words), they weren't refering to passing out the masters in the fast lane.
    While you can become a good swimmer at any age, while I am sure you are very good. Competitive standard is anoher level. I've been out a few years, and I know i'll never get back to competive standard. (and won would imagine its easier for a ex-swimmer to return to a previous standard, than a newbie starting off)

Top be clear, this was just an honest observation on the OPs question, and its in no way a reason not to swim at the highest level you can reach. Whatever that may be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ilovedesign

i remember hearing a rumour that roberto carlos only starting playing football at 16, so if you were destined for greatness, it will come...!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

swimming is a different sport though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Depends on where you set the top really.
    Olypmics only happen every 4 years so forget about them, but to turn around in 2 or 3 years time and feature well in a masters competition anywhere in Ireland is very do-able, World championships are a 5-10 year plan, if you wanna be focused about it so it forget them for a good while. If you enjoy it and you enjoy training, then its a better sport than most, you can do it into your sixties and it does keep all the other watersport activities well within scope so why not.:D

Advertisement