Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 99c/50mb - Access Point????

• 17-10-2008 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Got an o2 sim to try out their new speakeasy 50mb web for 99 cent tariff.
    what ap do I use?
    Customer care promised to send settings, but didn't! Nokia settings work, but I'm charged a cent per kb....
    oh, it's a nokia e61 :)
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

well o2 still owe me money for charging me when I'd canceled my account several months ago. I was on call waiting for over 30 minutes last week while trying to sort this out. Meteor do the same offer so I'd suggest moving to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

pwd wrote: »
    well o2 still owe me money for charging me when I'd canceled my account several months ago. I was on call waiting for over 30 minutes last week while trying to sort this out. Meteor do the same offer so I'd suggest moving to them
    oh, well, that answers my question :) NOT... I'm happy with voda, but at home o2 signal's better, that's why I want to try o2 again... Before I (re-)join meteor, I'd rather give up phones and take up cayenne pepper juggling instead ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

vodafone owe me 100 euro for several weeks now too. (tried both companies' mobile broadband products).
    at least o2's staff are polite when you actually get through to them. Vodafone are rude as hell in my experiences.
    Never had any hassle with meteor in the years I've been with them.
    I'd rather take up cayenne pepper chewing than use vodafone or o2 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

strecker wrote: »
    what ap do I use?
    Customer care promised to send settings, but didn't! Nokia settings work, but I'm charged a cent per kb....
    Thanks

Do you know, you are only charged 1cent a kb until you reach 99kb. So if only use 40kb, you will only pay 40cent and not 99cent. After going over the 99kb you pay nothing extra untill you go over the 50Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

what ap do I use?
    Thanks

Get settings your self here http://www.nokia.ie/A4202188 You will receive a text from Nokia with settings. All you have to do is save them.

You might have to manually put ap in your self and its pp.wap.o2.ie

• Advertisement

pwd wrote: »
    vodafone owe me 100 euro for several weeks now too. (tried both companies' mobile broadband products).
    at least o2's staff are polite when you actually get through to them. Vodafone are rude as hell in my experiences.
    Never had any hassle with meteor in the years I've been with them.
    I'd rather take up cayenne pepper chewing than use vodafone or o2 again.

Alright, maybe I was a bit harsh, but check out the meteor staff in Castlebar...ignorant liars! It's obviously store policy ;) and that automated voice when you're out of credit is the very definition of arrogant rudeness!!! It's probably just luck that in 4 years I had zero issues with vodafone cc, their branded handsets etc... I'm well aware that others do have probs with vodafone...and o2...and meteor...and 3...

@DAMO,
    Thanks, mate...figured that out ;)
    Was just the first o2 customer carer who told me the ap's name was web-browser...eh...NOT! Anyhow, turns out I get O2 EDGE in one corner of the house, and otherwise voda's signal is better after all. :)
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What is needed hardware wise to use the above mentioned service? can it be used from a 3g phone as a modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Hmm, that's possible. However, you may just be better off getting a dedicated one, as it's around €20 a month. All the networks have various offers for 3G USB modems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

What is needed hardware wise to use the above mentioned service? can it be used from a 3g phone as a modem?

It can be, but as Baza said, a dedicated modem would be better.
    99c a day for a month = €29.70

Also, its only 50MB so if your using your phone as a modem for your PC for a days browsing, there's a chance you'd go over the limit.

The dedicated modems cost about €20 per month and have a 5 or 10GB limit... which is more reasonable...

mathew wrote: »
    It can be, but as Baza said, a dedicated modem would be better.
    99c a day for a month = €29.70

Also, its only 50MB so if your using your phone as a modem for your PC for a days browsing, there's a chance you'd go over the limit.

The dedicated modems cost about €20 per month and have a 5 or 10GB limit... which is more reasonable...

Whooa... o2 told me the 99c/50mb access point won't work when using the phone as a modem (same as with vodafone's .live! AP! Is that bs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

I doubt they have disabled it for modem connections, however they do not allow it in the t&c thus can cut you off if you do it.

flodis79 wrote: »
    I doubt they have disabled it for modem connections, however they do not allow it in the t&c thus can cut you off if you do it.

Right. Will give it a try.

Whooa... o2 told me the 99c/50mb access point won't work when using the phone as a modem (same as with vodafone's .live! AP! Is that bs?

They cant disable the ability of your phone to share its data connection via bluetooth, which is effectively what the phone is doing.

They probable say that to discourage people from doing it because firstly as strecker said, its against the t&c, secondly you have a high chance of going over the 50MB allowance, thus incurring huge charges and thirdly you hog bandwidth from other users on the cell..

and thirdly you hog bandwidth from other users on the cell..

Would a 3G modem not be doing that too?

Do they not allocate different bandwidths to different APs.. so the 99c one one would have a lower bandwidth than the modem one...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Do they not allocate different bandwidths to different APs.. so the 99c one one would have a lower bandwidth than the modem one...
    Doubt it. I would assume that each AP has an equal contention ratio to the backhaul.

Unless of course you are talking about from cell to user. In that case it makes no difference as it is all coming down over the same UMTS network.

HSDPA thank you very much!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Baza210 wrote: »
    HSDPA thank you very much!
    Still a UMTS network.

HSDPA is a subset of UMTS.

I know, but on my 3G modem UMTS and HSDPA are different, HSDPA is much faster. UMTS's LED is a nicer colour though, royal blue vs electric blue.

0.375Mbps v 7.2Mbps for a nice led?

Choice is tough :P

• Advertisement

Yeah, you see I don't look at the LED that much when I'm on HSDPA anyway, because there's no loading time : P

Have my PC running on o2 Internet using my Nokia 6500s as a modem ATM.

Using a usb cable and using the One Touch Access program in Nokia PC Suite.

Its sh1t slow though, so will be changing back to my original connection fairly promptly after this post. No UMTS or HSDPA coverage in my area so its using EDGE

Down speed 84kbps!!!

Up speed 90kbps!!!

337675815.png

I r winrar.

I prefer my 3Mbps DSL line tho.

Average ping to tcd.ie of 10ms ;)

Gave it a good test using YouTube.

Watched 3 videos and they took a very long time to load.

Used 34.8MB of my 50MB so it would be way too easy if you go over your limit.

They are charging 0.5c per KB after the 50MB so it will be around €5 per MB after that.

That's some fookin expensive surfing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Gave it a good test using YouTube.

Watched 3 videos and they took a very long time to load.

Used 34.8MB of my 50MB so it would be way too easy if you go over your limit.

They are charging 0.5c per KB after the 50MB so it will be around €5 per MB after that.

That's some fookin expensive surfing!
    It's cheaper than Meteor / Vodafone.
    It's better than what they had before.
    If you want prepay data bundles goto 3.

Random wrote: »
    It's cheaper than Meteor / Vodafone.
    It's better than what they had before.
    If you want prepay data bundles goto 3.

TBH I very rarely use my mobile for internet.

Was just interested to see how good the phone was as a modem and its useless.

So i thinks ill be staying with my IBB connection.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I prefer my 3Mbps DSL line tho.

Average ping to tcd.ie of 10ms ;)

Yeah but I think the O2 server is actually in Limerick..

337675815.png

I r winrar.

Im thinking dial up would have beaten that original speed hand down!! :D

• Advertisement

Yeah but I think the O2 server is actually in Limerick..
    The slow ping times are down to the technology itself. The fact that the O2 server is in limerick have very little influence on the ping time.

Irish isps have a direct connection to heanet, hence the fast ping times to the Irish colleges.

Advertisement