Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X58

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭SeanW

Looks nice:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_i7
    *drools*

Triple DDR3 means that the memory architecture of LGA 1366 systems will be Tri-Channel instead of Dual Channel as on present computers.

So instead of having two slots times two channels, you'll have two slots times three channels, meaning that for optimal performance you'll have to install memory in groups of 3 instead of two as today, to a maximum of 6 DIMMs instead of todays 4.

That will be dead handy for me as I'll likely be putting 3GB of ram into my next rig, so I'll have a simple 3X1GB setup. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

i guessed the ddr thing. So will this finally make ddr3 a worth while upgrade over ddr2, considering the cost difference.

Also can i assume that with the new CPU architecture being true quad core that we'll be seeing octo core fairl soon. Next 6-12 months?

PS man there is feck all traffic on these forums these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

You see the cost of them boards :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭SeanW

BadCharlie wrote: »
    You see the cost of them boards :(
    They will come down.
    As will DDR3, presumably, I've seen DDR3 modules come down dramatically in price to the point where they're reasonably affordable, though like with the boards (and the processors) it will take time for them to reach the price levels of todays DDR2 equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

SeanW wrote: »
    They will come down.
    As will DDR3, presumably, I've seen DDR3 modules come down dramatically in price to the point where they're reasonably affordable, though like with the boards (and the processors) it will take time for them to reach the price levels of todays DDR2 equipment.

And then we'll have ddr5 (AFAIK they're skipping 4 for some reason)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

DanGerMus wrote: »
    And then we'll have ddr5 (AFAIK they're skipping 4 for some reason)

That's GDDR5, GDDR4 was used on some cards (Radeon HD 2900XT), but didn't offer much of a performance boost over GDDR3, most will go straight to GDDR5, as it offers twice the bandwidth of GDDR3 at the same clock speed.

These are on a completely seperate track to system memory, and it is likely that desktop DDR4 will employ a lot of the techniques used by GDDR5, if not GDDR6/7 (if it's out by then).

Advertisement