Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can someone answer this question - Fermoy Toll

• 17-10-2008 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Why 2 lanes are always closed, one in each direction. These lanes are the second lane from the outside. They have a booth which is never manned. My question is why its not open for etoll users?

Their is the express etoll lane on the far right but that's for cars only. So many other user with or without an etoll has to go thru one lane (excluding exact change/no receipt lane) hope that's easy to understand.

Direct route are in charge as i understand it, but they are no help, they pass you thru to a supervisor who doesn't pick up the phone, doesn't reply to email and the people at the toll say ring the manager.... :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Ah toll roads, you can't beat that kind of service quality.

I've actually noticed that myself, driving on that stretch of road. You have to wonder why they even bother to have those extra booths.

In a completed unrelated sidetrack, I've seen a few road maps refer to the road as the M8 (Toll), suggesting that there is a seperate M8 somewhere else.

I had a friend visting from England, and I told him to use the "M8". When he saw the "M8 (Toll)", he immediately left the motorway thinking there would be an alternate route for him to use (like the M6 and M6 (Toll) in Birmingham). Admittedly it was a bit silly of him, but the point remains the same...

I hope when the M8 is finished they change those god awful signs which look like this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is an alternative route - the N8... its not motorway grade though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

MYOB wrote: »

its not even N-road is it? I presume it has been downgraded to R-road status with an 80km/h limit...

No. According to the statutes, the N8 and the M8 are legally the same thing. The old N8 is now the R639.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Thats not my point, im not complaining about the price, or having to pay the toll. My point is i have a tag which is meant to speed up the process but they haven't got the intelligence to open a lane for etoll users. Its not costing them anything, i can understand if they would have to pay an operator but they dont have to, and its a lane thats never even used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BluntGuy wrote: »
    No. According to the statutes, the N8 and the M8 are legally the same thing. The old N8 is now the R639.

Ah yes. I did know that but my brain doesn't engage till I get my irn bru in the morning. :o:o
    davton wrote: »
    Thats not my point, im not complaining about the price, or having to pay the toll. My point is i have a tag which is meant to speed up the process but they haven't got the intelligence to open a lane for etoll users. Its not costing them anything, i can understand if they would have to pay an operator but they dont have to, and its a lane thats never even used.

I was responding to BluntGuy about the "M8 (Toll)" designator and the confusion it causes...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

BluntGuy wrote:
    I had a friend visting from England, and I told him to use the "M8". When he saw the "M8 (Toll)", he immediately left the motorway thinking there would be an alternate route for him to use (like the M6 and M6 (Toll) in Birmingham). Admittedly it was a bit silly of him, but the point remains the same...

I hope when the M8 is finished they change those god awful signs which look like this:

That's partially the British government's fault for breaking their own road numbering system. Never before had a toll section got the designation "Toll" as part of its road number (eg the M4 and M48 toll bridges are not M4 Toll and M48 Toll). The M6 Toll is actually a completely seperate motorway to the M6, save the fact that it terminates on the M6 at either end. It should have been given a different number.

As for the M8 and those signs - the word "toll" should strictly speaking not be on them, the TSM prescribes the chopsticks and road number together to mean Start of Motorway Regulations, but nothing else is meant to appear. Having said that its not really any harm and does warn you of the impending toll...

icdg wrote: »
    That's partially the British government's fault for breaking their own road numbering system. Never before had a toll section got the designation "Toll" as part of its road number (eg the M4 and M48 toll bridges are not M4 Toll and M48 Toll). The M6 Toll is actually a completely seperate motorway to the M6, save the fact that it terminates on the M6 at either end. It should have been given a different number.

As for the M8 and those signs - the word "toll" should strictly speaking not be on them, the TSM prescribes the chopsticks and road number together to mean Start of Motorway Regulations, but nothing else is meant to appear. Having said that its not really any harm and does warn you of the impending toll...

Maybe so... but it's still confusing.

The route is part of what will eventually be the 155 km M8. M8 (Toll) just confuses the issue. I'd rather they had "M8" and then perhaps "Toll" in a seperate box...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Maybe so... but it's still confusing.

The route is part of what will eventually be the 155 km M8. M8 (Toll) just confuses the issue. I'd rather they had "M8" and then perhaps "Toll" in a seperate box...

Agreed. They should use the Toll symbol that is used on the M50 (font white box), and make it standard across all motorways in Ireland

nordydan wrote: »
    Agreed. They should use the Toll symbol that is used on the M50 (font white box), and make it standard across all motorways in Ireland

Absolutely agree with that. It's much better, I wish they did it on all Irish motorways.

• Advertisement
Advertisement