Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Done something very wrong and I know it

Options
  • 17-10-2008 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Was collecting friend mine this evening in Limerick and rather than go the long way round I drove up a one way street up a very small stretch of road near King Johns Castle. Its about 100yds in lenght and no one is round. But some guy in his car saw me in his car and launched in tirade against me and understandably I would have done the same. I know I was wrong and shouldnt have done it, he said he is going to report me to guards. I am really quite worried now, I never do anything wrong on the road and tonight was a moment of madness. I am liable to get in alot of trouble over this.

It was really bad form on my half and I know I have done wrong, I know it doesnt account for what I have done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Hmmmmm it's his word against yours isn't it?
    What can happen in a situation like that?
    Still, it was a silly thing to do. Do you feel sorry you were caught or for committing the deed? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Relax and dont worry, thats the last youll ever hear of it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

C_Breeze wrote: »
    Relax and dont worry, thats the last youll ever hear of it. :rolleyes:

+1. He's all talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 unregged

I shouldnt have done it full stop, he was really quite adamant about the reporting thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Heroditas wrote: »
    Hmmmmm it's his word against yours isn't it?
    What can happen in a situation like that?
    Still, it was a silly thing to do. Do you feel sorry you were caught or for committing the deed? ;)

CCTV ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Id like to see the guards try send you a summons for that “ you are requested to attend x courthouse because paddy up the road there saw you drive up a one way street”
    No corroboration – learn your lesson. If by some minute chance, the guards do knock on your door, just deny and suggest the gent who saw you has a personal vendetta against you!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Gardai don't/can't do much when people's cars are damaged in car parks when supported by cctv evidence (as read on boards) so I doubt you'll hear anything of this as no damage was actually done, in my mind making it less of an offence. Just don't do it again, next time it could be a garda that spots you.

Well I am truly sorry but I have bad feeling he is going to report me so not cool :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I know the area. Maze of one way streets to keep us from driving on them.

I know why you jumped the one way system. Its a litle stretch and I probably have done it before myself in the middle of the night.

Look up next time you are on the street. Being St Marys Pk Territory its riddles with 24hr Garda Cameras and being the usual git he will complain you and the Gardai will follow up on it.

Probably give you a slap on the wrist or worst(having a slow crime day) will summons you for dangerous driving.

You could try and say you never noticed the red and white sign because of all the people around and the fact the buildings are also red. If you are from Limerick then your scr"""d.

I know the area. Maze of one way streets to keep us from driving on them.

I know why you jumped the one way system. Its a litle stretch and I probably have done it before myself in the middle of the night.

Look up next time you are on the street. Being St Marys Pk Territory its riddles with 24hr Garda Cameras and being the usual git he will complain you and the Gardai will follow up on it.

Probably give you a slap on the wrist or worst(having a slow crime day) will summons you for dangerous driving.

You could try and say you never noticed the red and white sign because of all the people around and the fact the buildings are also red. If you are from Limerick then your scr"""d.
    If I am done for dangerous driving what could possibly happen to me, now I am super worried :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Nobody calls the gardai down to Kings Island...they won't go near the place anyway! :D:D

Don't worry about it. Some people are just self important pricks...

DarkJager wrote: »
    Nobody calls the gardai down to Kings Island...they won't go near the place anyway! :D:D

Don't worry about it. Some people are just self important pricks...

The old people do around that area. I had a friend living there and the old people go nuts about the smallest of things. He put his car going one morning to warm up the engine(winter) and his neighbour knocked on his door and told him that he was not to do that again or he would call the Gardai for noise pollution. Mad Mad old people.

unregged wrote: »
    If I am done for dangerous driving what could possibly happen to me, now I am super worried :(

Driving without due care = points and fine
    Dangerous driving = points and fine

I dont think there are others they would bother with. They wouldnt do you for the two of those things the might pluck one of them at random or NONE at all if your lucky.

One way or the other, if the guy complains and your reg is registered to your home address they will come a knockin. You will just learn from this.

Silly boy. Dont Get Caught.

Its like traffic lights. Its illegal 24 hours a day to run a red light but at between 3am and 6am its generally not frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If he did and lets say the guards had nothiing better to do for half an hour- just say you didn't see the sign.

They won't rip up your license for making an 'honest' mistake that had no consequences except to peeve and busybody with too much time on his hands.

However, knowingly going the wrong way down a one way street- that's pretty basic stuff an very disrespectful to your fellow roaduser. I have a feeling you may do this regularly- correct me if I'm wrong

OP, are you from Limerick? You really have no need to worry about it, the gardai here have a lot better things to be doing that listening to some idiot like that. It also seems said idiot has nothing better to be doing than acting like a complete prick.

Forget about it man, you won't hear anymore about it.

I have never done this before was in a rush, so moment madness really.

How long before a summons would come or gardai arrive at me door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

Think the op should be cut some slack, he seems genuinely sorry, we've all had and done small traffic offences i'm sure, If any its a tiny% who follow the rules of the road 100% of the time

Op, i doubt u'll hear anything more about this, and if you do its his word against yours

DarkJager wrote: »
    OP, are you from Limerick? You really have no need to worry about it, the gardai here have a lot better things to be doing that listening to some idiot like that. It also seems said idiot has nothing better to be doing than acting like a complete prick.

Forget about it man, you won't hear anymore about it.
    I am from Limerick indeed, its like I know I was completely out of order just worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Question for the OP: Is this one-way street wide enough that two cars could get by say, I dont know, if someone was coming the RIGHT way??:p

There would be enough room. I had actually just pulled it in, was waiting for me mate, your man was coming up though in his car, was at least 300 yd away from me.

• Advertisement

victor1 wrote: »
    Think the op should be cut some slack, he seems genuinely sorry

Eh.... I dont see anyone giving the OP any stick here at all!! Are you sure you have read the thread??

victor1 wrote: »
    we've all had and done small traffic offences i'm sure

Em.....no.

There would be enough room. I had actually just pulled it in, was waiting for me mate, your man was coming up though in his car, was at least 300 yd away from me.

Oh well thats something at least. Yeah I wouldnt worry about it at all. Just dont do it again, which Im sure you have decided for yourself already!! If you have a completely clean record you will be fine. If you have any previous dealings with the gardai (judging by how worried you are Im gonna say you have a clean slate) they may be harder on you.

Never had any dealings with gardai in my life, nor have I any traffic offenses or accidents to my name. This was just Stupidity in a rush on a Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Is that the lane beside the City Council Building?

I was working in City Hall last summer and there were always people driving the wrong way up and down those lanes. Don't fret too much about it tbh.

Yes indeed Big Kev.

Stop spooking him about the gardai, its nonsense to even suggest that they will have any contact with him over this. It would be a whole different scenario if he had hit a car or killed someone, but all he did was get the attention of some busybody prick.

OP, forget about the gardai and stop worrying yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Its like traffic lights. Its illegal 24 hours a day to run a red light but at between 3am and 6am its generally not frowned upon.

ah now its always 'frowned upon' in fairness regardless of the time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Next time reverse up that road, that'll confuse them ;)

Thanks DarkJager, but I will be crapping it now all week.

I think the guy was looking for me to abuse him back but all I said was move along and leave me be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Was collecting friend mine this evening in Limerick and rather than go the long way round I drove up a one way street up a very small stretch of road near King Johns Castle. Its about 100yds in lenght and no one is round. But some guy in his car saw me in his car and launched in tirade against me and understandably I would have done the same. I know I was wrong and shouldnt have done it, he said he is going to report me to guards. I am really quite worried now, I never do anything wrong on the road and tonight was a moment of madness. I am liable to get in alot of trouble over this.

It was really bad form on my half and I know I have done wrong, I know it doesnt account for what I have done.
    sure not that much can be done about it really just say you didnt realise
    or just say you didnt see the harm in it which you didnt Id say
    guards prob know for complaining all the time anyway

dont beat yourself up about it
    theres worse people than yourself out there and the guards understand this thank god

Advertisement