Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save the Poolbeg chimneys-are these people blind?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

we can so live without them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Funnily enough, I am quite fond of them. They are indeed part of the skyline and are an integral part of the landscape of the city at this stage.

I am also aware of the possibiity of peregrines falcons using them as nest sites. If this is true they have to be protected under wildlife habitation legislation. The old gasometer on Sir John Rogersons Quay was retained as long as a pair of falcons were nesting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

The article states that there is an online petition to save them. Anyone know the URL?

I like them. I think they're a landmark and stand out when you fly back into Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

They are featured in so many irish films and videos, think of the commitments and early u2 videos. I think they sould stay, as a monument, they have more of a working class status than the spire. "The spire" a FF shrine to greed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I agree they are fairly ugly, yet somehow, I like 'em - they just remind me of home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

boneless wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I am quite fond of them. They are indeed part of the skyline and are an integral part of the landscape of the city at this stage.
    ArseBurger wrote: »
    I like them. I think they're a landmark and stand out when you fly back into Dublin.

You could say the same about Hawkins House, which dates from the same era. There won't be many tears shed when that monstrosity is eventually levelled.
    spadder wrote: »
    They are featured in so many irish films and videos, think of the commitments and early u2 videos. I think they sould stay, as a monument, they have more of a working class status than the spire. "The spire" a FF shrine to greed.

It's somewhat patronising to the working class to choose smoke belching chimneys as their 'symbol,' particularly when the average worker inside Poolbeg is on 100k+.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I have to say, i like both the spire AND the chimneys.
    Keep em!
    Not like there's anything else down that way worth seeing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

They're an important part of Dublin's landscape. Leave em be.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

latenia wrote: »
    You could say the same about Hawkins House, which dates from the same era. There won't be many tears shed when that monstrosity is eventually levelled.

I quite like Hawkins House too actually.
    particularly when the average worker inside Poolbeg is on 100k+.

Beautiful - where's your source on this?

Could I ask where you got that figure of 100k +?

As for Hawkins House, yes I agree it is an ugly eyesore and good riddance to it. However, the stacks had a function and were to aid in the dissapation of the fumes etc. when first built. We now know the dangers of this re. climate change etc. but I feel the chimneys have a certain ugly grace to their form. I am aware I may be in a minority here but will stick to my belief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

As Deswalsh stated, they should be kept as they are like a national symbol.

Everytime i arrive on a plane approaching Dublin airport, i could see the chimneys lit up at night and they are a symbol of been home as we all grew up with them and coul see them from whatever subub we grew up in.

Even when i trek in the wicklow mountains, i could see them on a good day about 20 miles in, they are a monument to the city!

It should have historic protected structure status like those Georgian buildings.!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

boneless wrote: »
    Could I ask where you got that figure of 100k +?

Think there was a Deloittle report out about this a few years ago. Look at last line here

"The company said it did not have figures to confirm that the average non-pensionable pay including overtime at one power station, Poolbeg in Dublin, was €140,000."

edit: found it
    http://m.rte.ie/business/news/2006/1002/esb.html
    A Government commissioned report maintains high labour costs and inefficiencies at ESB power stations add €100m to its costs compared with its EU peers. It reveals that the average wage of relevant staff is €92,000, but at Poolbeg power plant in Dublin the figure is €142,000.

The report, by consulting group Deloitte, recommends the partial break-up of the ESB, but the Government has ruled out such a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I like them also but then again, I like most of that industrial type architecture and i also like Hawkins House.

Re: the €100k - I don't know where latenia is getting the figures but i'd say it's correct. A friend of mine grossed €120k in the ESB last year and he's out in a truck doing poles etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They are actually quite rusty up close.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Believe it or believe it not but they are visible from north-west Balbriggan just between the north of the town and the M1, a good 22 miles or so away.

If it's good enough for the PDs to keep them, then it's good enough in my book :rolleyes:

heart_for_dublin.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭.DarDarBinks

Id like to see them stay, but yet again couldnt be <SNIP> if i never saw them again.

Mod edit: careful now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

spadder wrote: »

Agreed.

What I love about them is how they sometimes surprise you when you are in another part of the city and you suddenly see them. I take a shortcut across the Tallaght hills to work in the mornings and my favourite part of the journey is coming over the crest of the hill and the city (and the chimneys) comes in to view.

If I was to think of one sight that put me in mind of Dublin, it would be them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

How could anyone not love these? :)

poolbeg1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

See the thing is, the chimneys were one of the last Dublin sights emigrants saw when getting the boat. Now, a whole new generation will get a chance to experience forced emigration similar to the 70's/80's and early 90's. Leave the chimneys alone, they mean a lot to people who had no choice but to leave Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I like them.

Cant stand the spire, think the new O'Connell street is absolutely disgusting(and Henry Street for that matter) but like the poolbeg chimneys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

ArseBurger wrote: »
    The article states that there is an online petition to save them. Anyone know the URL?

http://www.petitiononline.com/poolbeg/petition-sign.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Victor wrote: »
    They are actually quite rusty up close.

And they're red, white and grey from a distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

These are horrific eyesores that ruin Dublin Bay and set a really bad tone for those seeing this view of the city for the first time, whether by boat or plane. I've a good mind to set up a counter-protest...

You fail at protest.

:pac:

youfail.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Meh, I guess people are ruled more by sentimentality than a sense of aesthetics. A JCB at the crack of dawn might have to be employed here :pac: I'd be interested to hear the opinion of someone who remembers before they were erected. Are you reading this Rashers?

I was on Loughcrew hill a while back, near Oldcastle in Meath. I could see them from there. I could also see the water tower in UCD. I also agree with Wish in this respect; industrial architechture and indeed archaeology deserves to be retained.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I still haven't forgiven them for the 2 weeks of sleep I didn't get when they stuck those stupid bight flashing lights on the thing.

And now some twat wants to preserve them and stick more lights on again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

You can't get rid of "gods socks". Brilliant landmark, great commercial, advertising or tourist potential there. Imagine the view? (I don't mean the view of the ladies bathing shelter...)

Shelterlow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Bluetonic wrote: »

If it's good enough for the PDs to keep them, then it's good enough in my book :rolleyes:

heart_for_dublin.jpg

They will look really out of place when the port is eventually is redeveloped.Get Norman Foster or someone like that to design something in its place. Just have a look some of the amazing things there building around the world: http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/02/most-elegant-proposed-skyscrapers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

They will look really out of place when the port is eventually is redeveloped.Get Norman Foster or someone like that to design something in its place. Just have a look some of the amazing things there building around the world: http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/02/most-elegant-proposed-skyscrapers.html

I think the architects need to lay off the old sci-fi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd rather not have something put up in the city that looks a piece out the Brown thomas kitchen ware dept after being zapped with a giganto ray. We already have the poxy spire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement