Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save the Poolbeg chimneys-are these people blind?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I always wanted to climb up them, there's stairs right the way up. They should stick an elevator in one and make it a tourist attraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Thought I'd posted in this thread already.

If anyone tries taking these things down I'll be chaining myself to them in protest. They're one of the earliest memories from my childhood as I could see them from my bedroom window in Irishtown.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

They won't be taken down anytime soon. How do you think the planes find Dublin???

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Paparazzo wrote: »
    They should stick an elevator in one and make it a tourist attraction.

That's a very good idea. The view from the top would be really great on a clear day... or even night.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

This is how they looked on friday just gone.3205066740_95487394ec.jpg?v=1232236825

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

humberklog wrote: »
    This is how they looked on friday just gone.3205066740_95487394ec.jpg?v=1232236825

A fine photo if ever there was one.... UFO and all included ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Paparazzo wrote: »
    They should stick an elevator in one and make it a tourist attraction.

This is a great idea - as it was also with the tower in Smithfield, which regrettably is closed at the moment for maintenance - as it has been for the last two years :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

ODS wrote: »
    This is a great idea - as it was also with the tower in Smithfield, which regrettably is closed at the moment for maintenance - as it has been for the last two years :mad:

Anyone remember the Suas

Looks like it was forgotten about, I thought it was a fantastic idea
    The cable car - known as Suas - would run between Heuston Station and the Docklands and would transport sightseers at heights close to 80 metres above the river from the Guinness Brewery near Heuston to a terminal near the planned national conference centre at Spencer Dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

In fairness they are pretty ugly, even though I suppose they are like an old worn sweater that you don't want to get rid of. Get rid of them and build a monument in their place, something that would be recognised internationally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

meglome wrote: »
    In fairness they are pretty ugly, even though I suppose they are like an old worn sweater that you don't want to get rid of. Get rid of them and build a monument in their place, something that would be recognised internationally.

Like what, two spires?..

:rolleyes:

Our governments propensity for throwing vast amounts of cash after rubbish never fails to amaze me, it wouldn't surprise me if this was actually seriously considered.

Keep 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Mairt wrote: »
    Like what, two spires?..

:rolleyes:

Our governments propensity for throwing vast amounts of cash after rubbish never fails to amaze me, it wouldn't surprise me if this was actually seriously considered.

Keep 'em.

Our government are not known for throwing vast amount of money on anything artistic, just generally wasting vast amounts of money. If something iconic could be done for the right price, maybe paid for by business.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

meglome wrote: »
    Our government are not known for throwing vast amount of money on anything artistic, just generally wasting vast amounts of money. If something iconic could be done for the right price, maybe paid for by business.

correct me if i'm wrong but something like 1% of any development under the national development plan must got to arts projects..that's a lot of subsidy for the luvvies.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

They are a great land mark.

True, nothing lasts for ever, but no reason to take them down for a while.
    And certainly no reason to take them down to replace them with some "art".

This would not look so good with out them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Malteaser! wrote: »

The article mentions a petition to save the chimneys, this one seems to be to put lights on the chimneys?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Leeby wrote: »
    The article mentions a petition to save the chimneys, this one seems to be to put lights on the chimneys?

That's right. The info is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Rashers wrote: »
    That's right. The info is here.

Oh right, so the petition mentioned in the article is to light up the chimneys, I thought the petition was to give them protected structure status? Or is it the same thing? If the light up the chimneys campaign is successful, they'll be protected from demolition?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Setun wrote: »
    I think they're great tbh, and they'd be sorely missed on the photography forum. :)

Actually I was selling some photographs at a christmas fair last year, and some guy bought one of the chimneys because he said that when he's regularly travelling home from England on the ferry they're the first thing he sees that really makes him think "Ah! Nearly home!"

+1 to keeping them.

Damn right we would.

TBH, I do think they are iconic. I'd like to see something creative done with them (maybe surround them with glass and a platform on top or something but I fear their location may mitigate against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

This is a 5 year old thread Calina. Try here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057247042

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement