Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Pub in Dublin that plays decent rock/metal music?

• 17-10-2008 7:57pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

doesnt bruxelles play that kind of music??

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Thanks! anywhere else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Eamonn Dorans too I suppose. The foggy dew can be known to get a bit rowdy too. Check this out:

http://foot.ie/forums/archive/index.php/t-21549.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

Dude, Fibbers!

Parnell Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Theres 'The Cellar' every Friday night in Balbriggan. Depending of course on where in Dublin you live!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

The Foggy Dew is a cool place. Hard to get a space to sit though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Foggy, Fibbers, Whelans, Doyles (sort of), Pravda (again sort of).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭gokgok

The International on the second friday of the month for Rock jihad. Next one's on the 14th november

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

For live music The Mezz on Tuesdays, Fridays and saturdays can be good. Not so much metal as rock/classic rock. There's a regular cover band on tuesdays and i've heard thin lizzy, the stones (to name a few) cover bands on fridays and saturdays.

Bit pricey but no cover charge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Fibber Magee's is your only man. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Voodoo Lounge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Voodoo Lounge

The Voodoo Lounge is gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Oral Slang wrote: »
    The Voodoo Lounge is gone!

Since when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Since when?

A couple of months ago. All the "music nights" that were on there have migrated elsewhere with a good few going to The Button Factory.

OP, the best places for metal would be Fibbers on Parnell St. or Bruxelles on Harry St. (just off Grafton St. beside the Phil Lynott statue.).

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭CrossBreed

For metal and the likes your best bets are probably Bruxxels (weekends), Fibbers (Thursdays + weekends), and the Foggy Dew.

Bruxxels is quite a small bar, but it's pretty nice. Fibbers is a dump, but we love it anyway. The Foggy is packed most times and it can get cramped.

Dorans and Pravda have also been mentioned, though Dorans is more rock and roll + pop, and Pravda is more of an indie scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BleedTheF!FtH

Fibbers b all and end all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

+1 on Fibbers and Bruxies!!!! the 2 things i miss about not living in dublin anymore.. although i always return for a few scoops whenever their is a gig on in dublin that im at :D

Whats bruxies like? Was never there..
    Where exactly is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭CrossBreed

It's by the statue of Phil Lynott, just off of Grafton St.

It consists of 3 bars. Ground floor bar is just a normal pub (AFAIK), and then there's two downstairs (one metal and one more indie).

Good spot.

Cool mite check it out sometime around christmas when iv time off college

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

bruxelles and fibbers for me. Dorans too I s'pose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Ah lads fibbers is terrible now. I was there for the first time in years (I used to love it) and it was absolutely awful. Saturday night and there was 5 lads in the place and nobody else. The DJ was spewing out awful nu metal ****e and the place smells 10000 times worse than ever, the beer garden is gone. It pains me but fibbers is dead dead dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ATTIC DOOR

Unfortunately Dublin is severly lackin in the metal/Rock pub department. Fibbers is pants and Bruxelles is only good if you dont go too ofter (gets very boring and repetative), Whelans is a poncy student bar and Doyles is more of an 80's place. Eamonn Dorans can be pretty good if your into all kinds of rock, Pravda is not really an indie bar, more of an alternative bar to be honest. The Mezz is crap, no other way to say it, The Foggy Dew is a decent spot although it does get extremely cramped. best bet is The Neptune bar below the flowing tide on lower abbey street but only on a saturday night. a good small bar with a great pint and a great jukebox. Actually thats a lot of Rock bars that dont really play rock. ha ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

"The International on the second friday of the month for Rock jihad. Next one's on the 14th november"

have you ever actually been to this?
    I popped in there one friday it was supposed to be on, place was dead downstairs, few old guys sippin pints, nothing resembling metal playing, i swiftly moved on elsewhere.

Agree about fibbers, last time I was there was a saturday night and the place was so dead and I was there till late but it just didnt get any busier plus a cover charge didnt exactly make it go down any better.

Bruxelles is the best place to go for that music, on the weekends and especially later on.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    "The International on the second friday of the month for Rock jihad. Next one's on the 14th november"

have you ever actually been to this?
    I popped in there one friday it was supposed to be on, place was dead downstairs, few old guys sippin pints, nothing resembling metal playing, i swiftly moved on elsewhere.

yeah, i run the night. we usually get in by 8.30 and start by 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

weird, just it was advertised as being on that week but clearly nothing was goin on. What time's it supposed to go on till?

finishes about 12:30 or whenever the pub closes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Bruxelles. End of!
    Fibbers - RIP 1992-1995. Alas, we knew it well! :D

Advertisement